• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Time for Tuckermans

kingslug

Anyone plan on going..the snowpack is good. Only been there once..turned into a total shit show for us..broke all the rules..got lost..got back at 9pm..once your up and over..better know where to go..but..might be worth another try

NYDB

be careful out there

btw....what are 'all the rules'? Are we talking avalanche conditions ignorance or full blown idiocy?

kingslug

Avalanche activity is normal for this time of year with this depth of snowpack..
The headwall is the safest bet..the fields..maybe not yet as the temps will rise and unstabilize the area..
I like stable..keep reading the reports..then assess...

kingslug

See the rocks hes standing by..i almost fell through there..30 foot drop into a stream..2 weeks later..somone did..gone..
Very scary...

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
be careful out there

btw....what are 'all the rules'? Are we talking avalanche conditions ignorance or full blown idiocy?

A few off hand.Hike where you ski . Don't hike in the path of a potential ice fall from the rocks above. Beware the shadows...place can go from corn to ice in 20 minutes. Hydrate ,hydrate ,hydrate...this one killed me ,I had major leg cramps on the steepest slope I've ever been on .The Time for Tuckerman website is great for everything you need to know.

Go while your still young! My first time I was over 50 ,felt like I got hit by a truck the next day LOL.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Slug, I'm mostly interested in the bottom of the headwall and runnout. Did you watch the video in the link I shared? Massive debris field. I'm sure in the months since it melted and filled in some, but I wouldn't expect the bottom of the Ravine to ski like in normally does after that event in January

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Slug, I'm mostly interested in the bottom of the headwall and runnout. Did you watch the video in the link I shared? Massive debris field. I'm sure in the months since it melted and filled in some, but I wouldn't expect the bottom of the Ravine to ski like in normally does after that event in January

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Could set the stage for an ugly blowout if that ice didn't bond to the new snow? The day before I went in this video the lip blew out from a heavy rain , fortunately it happened at night but you can see how far the avi ran into the floor of the ravine.

kingslug

Reading the avi reports is key. Used to talk to a guy that skied there a lot, skied the fields mostly. One day almost got wiped out by a huge avi...and he was as experienced as it gets on the place. Friggin wild west out there. Im reading a book on Doug Coombs..he loved the place when he was a kid..sounds about right.
As far as other rules.
The plan is the plan..dont change it..
Tell people if you do.
Really..really know where your going if you stray from the headwall.
Dont..get..lost.

ThinkSnow

One of the last times I skied the ravine was the day the Old Man of the Mountain collapsed. Kept asking myself on the hike up, "why am I doing this again?' Best bet is to go with someone who has done it before. Otherwise when you're in the notch, go into the visitor center to assess the conditions. Use the sign-in log. Make sure someone at home knows your plan, and route of ascent & don't veer from it. If conditions are questionable, go to Wildcat, or just hike and ski the Sherburne trail, which is quite fun by itself.

Smellytele

As far as other rules.
The plan is the plan..dont change it..

I have skied the ravine 25 times or so over the past 30 years. Also ice climbed it a few times early season.
This is the opposite of what you should do. If you plan something and get to the ravine and it doesn't look or feel right change your plan.
you need to be flexible with your plans in the mntns. But the next line of telling someone if you do change your plans is a good rule to follow.

kingslug

I have skied the ravine 25 times or so over the past 30 years. Also ice climbed it a few times early season.
This is the opposite of what you should do. If you plan something and get to the ravine and it doesn't look or feel right change your plan.
you need to be flexible with your plans in the mntns. But the next line of telling someone if you do change your plans is a good rule to follow.
Yes
what I meant was that we had planned to just climb the wall a couple of times then leave. So that is what i researched. Climbing up and over was a major change of plan and I had not researched that at all, thus we got lost. But yes, when conditions change you have to be very flexible.

Smellytele

Yes
what I meant was that we had planned to just climb the wall a couple of times then leave. So that is what i researched. Climbing up and over was a major change of plan and I had not researched that at all, thus we got lost. But yes, when conditions change you have to be very flexible.

Ahh

kingslug

Yes..that was where the avi hit..gulf....of slides.
Just have to find someone interested in going.
So...if anyone wants to go this season..
Would have to be in may..hitting utah end of April..

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
That was cool , faster on their asses then on skis LOL. My first reaction was ,it's going to be a quiet ride home if those two drove up together. One guy took out the other ? I've heard a story about someone on the boot ladder getting spiked by a crampon on his thigh as the guy above slid down. Dangerous enough place as it is without getting taken out . 45min climb wasted :sad:

cdskier

That was cool , faster on their asses then on skis LOL. My first reaction was ,it's going to be a quiet ride home if those two drove up together. One guy took out the other ?

Pretty sure they drove there together...

A couple from Canada approached “The Lip” in Tuckerman Ravine after having climbed up via Right Gully. The girlfriend lost her edge and slid into her boyfriend and they both took a scary fall but were uninjured