• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How many times did you fall this year?

Wicked1

Just curious how many times others have fallen in a season.
Was it an epic fail, total yard sale, just a quick queef bouncing off a hip, did your skis release?
Met a ski instructor years ago who was proud that he never fell. At that time I was skiing hard and falling probably at least once a day. I figured that pushing the limits was making me a better skier.
Anyway, this year I fell once. Skis did not release. Coming to a stop at speed, clipped the top of a mogul sideways and came down hard on my hip. No release from bindings.

Just wondering how others feel about falling...and glad it was only one fall.

ironhippy

I only had one memorable fall, I hit a jump in the terrain park with way too much speed and yard-saled the landing.
What complicated things is I was carrying a full carton of chocolate milk in my coat pocket, so I was sure to turn in the air and land on my other side.

I saved the milk, but bruised some ribs that still remind me about it over a month later.

drjeff

3 so far...

1 on Thanksgiving weekend where I went at a big GS turn on not a particularly steep pitch, binding unexpectedly released and bam, I hit the snow hard! My wife was behind me and was thinking that I might not be getting up too quickly from that one...

The 2nd in early December on a foggy/freezing rain morning - never saw the water bar I hit at about 20 mph and double binding ejected with a face plant to finish it off not too far from the lift queue....

The 3rd so far, at Bromley on Havoc, 3 or 4" of powder over some fresh, semi variable consistency manmade. Went into what I thought was a soft powder bump, stuck 1 ski into some wet, ski grabbing manmade, the first ski ejected, tried to save it, and then my other ski ejected, and suddenly I'm face first in a pile of powder with my wife and ski buddies I was with that day laughing at me...

bdfreetuna

Wiped out into deep powder about 3 times I can remember (twice on purpose to avoid hitting tree) but no regular falls.

Number might be higher but it's hard to tell if getting stuck in belly deep snow @ Magic really counts as a fall.

John9

Once, for the first time in years. After coming down cliffhanger at Camelback, the very bottom part of the run out before the lift line forms.

Had already skied it several times that day. After lunch, the bottom had turned to mush. Made a sliding turn to kill off speed, then went to turn the other way, skis in quick sand. Double ejection, stayed loose, over the shoulder forward roll. After landing, look up the trail, skis about 15 yards up hill. Zero damage, never even felt it. Glad to know the bindings work.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
My only good one was getting grabbed by some underbrush exiting the not-so-secret trees between East Fall and Big Dipper at K. One ski ejected from the stick and the other ejected during the fall. I slid onto an icy East Fall and could've stopped myself but actually took the time to practice self-arrest.

So imagine some fool tumbling out of the woods and then wriggling his body in various poses in seemingly unsuccessful attempts to stop himself.

BenedictGomez

This. Counting's a thing?

If I had to guess maybe 4 or 5 times, never on groomers, and they're all more like "tip-overs" at relatively slow speeds in the woods or moguls than true falls. Usually when my legs are tired, and this is a mental key for me to stop skiing woods or mogul runs. My DIN is at a reasonable 9, so my skis dont ever come off from these situations.

cdskier

This. Counting's a thing?

If I had to guess maybe 4 or 5 times, never on groomers, and they're all more like "tip-overs" at relatively slow speeds in the woods or moguls than true falls. Usually when my legs are tired, and this is a mental key for me to stop skiing woods or mogul runs. My DIN is at a reasonable 9, so my skis dont ever come off from these situations.

Pretty much this. Not something I keep track of and they're usually in bumps where I slip or hit one at an awkward angle and sort of just tip over and bounce right back up.

p_levert

If you're not falling a few times per year you're not skiing hard.

I would amend this to state "If you're not falling a few times per *day*, you're not having fun".

Occasionally I go through a day without falling, and those are usually boring days.

kingslug

A couple of flips, bent my pole a bit but got right up. Knowing how to roll helps. Had a ski pop off in deep pow in Revi..no way to put it back on so i took off the other one and went for a slide down the face..fun. Try to minimize the falls as I'm usually going a bit to fast and would bounce..far.

SkiFanE

I don't fall too often, most of mine this year was due to DIN being too low... but I had a doozy this year...

Windhold cold day at SR. After a thaw/freeze so trails was closing. We wanted to get from Barker to No Peak for lunch/beers with a couple of key lifts closed. So climbed up to top of Barker and found 3 Mile Trail closed. Damn. How bad can that be? There was a 1-2" layer of snow from night before. So cruise under rope...decent clip to turn around first sharp corner - only to see a massive rock garden of grapefruit and apple sized ricks. Fuuuuuukkkkkkkk..... held it together enough to get around corner and complete superman onto all those rocks. My nice arcyterx shell ripped down front, all 4 limbs had huge bruises, my ribs got bruised, my outstretched hand holding pole was completely bruised and uselesss for a week or two. My skis were ruined - husband used entire stick of ptex to fill in, but edges were pulled away so had to toss. He was behind me and was able to avoid me and he just got a few core shots. Then using my daughters skiis, didn't want to mess her Din (3/4, I'm usually 7/8) I had a nice fall from just popping out of them. My new skiis were set to 5 Din and failed me last weekend so have to up them again. Hopefully I am good for rest of year.