• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Recommendation for New Skiers

mikes

Hello

After a 20 year break from the sport I took my girls (9 and 11) for their first time this winter in the Poconos. They absolutely loved it. They are off this week and we are going to try to head north to Vermont Thursday and Friday to squeeze in one last trip. I was looking at Okemo but was also hoping for other recommendaitions for taking young new skiers. Thanks!

Scruffy

Hello

After a 20 year break from the sport I took my girls (9 and 11) for their first time this winter in the Poconos. They absolutely loved it. They are off this week and we are going to try to head north to Vermont Thursday and Friday to squeeze in one last trip. I was looking at Okemo but was also hoping for other recommendaitions for taking young new skiers. Thanks!

Okemo would be fine, so would Bromley, or Majic if you want something more low key. Mount Snow would also offer plenty of beginer terrain. Have fun.

BenedictGomez

The farther north you can go this time of year the better. If you can swing a hew hours more drive to Jay Peak, do that.

cdskier

The farther north you can go this time of year the better. If you can swing a hew hours more drive to Jay Peak, do that.

I really don't see the value in going all the way to Jay for young new skiers...

mikes

Okemo would be fine, so would Bromley, or Majic if you want something more low key. Mount Snow would also offer plenty of beginer terrain. Have fun.
Thanks I looked at Bromley and Magic but it looks like they are only open on the weekend now. Ill take a look at Mt Snow. Getting a little concerned about the forecast for rain on Wednesday.
Was originally thinking about heading further north but Im probably going to drive home after skiing the second day. I can handle 4 or 5 hours but 7 or 8 will be pushing it without a second driver.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JDMRoma

if the Wednesday forecast holds true, id look for somewhere that recovers well as in grooming ! Id go Killington !

mikes

Does okemo groom heavy? Guess at some point they need exposure to ice lol.

prsboogie

Stratton would be a good choice as well if skiing midweek barring their open. Not sure what the conditions or hours are.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

podunk77

Can't go wrong with Okemo or Mount Snow. Look online ahead of time for discounts as both places' walk-up ticket prices are pretty high.

bdfreetuna

Jay Peak has 2 pretty decent learning areas, those "moon" trails are better than most beginner terrain.

I'd go to Jay anyway, at least you'll have a cool mountain to look at and inspire you to keep learning.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Mount Snow has the least amount of easy terrain. Long John/Deer run from the summit and then Snowdance off of the Canyon chair, but that's not running midweek. The term "beginner" is very broad...does that mean greens from the top, or greens from the bunny chairlift?

Either way Okemo has fantastic quantity/quality over Mount Snow.

Mount Snow's "learning area" on the Discovery triple genuinely scares me. Crazy steep with zero runout. I couldn't imagine teaching there.

mikes

Thanks everyone. Okemo it is. Booked a hotel this morning and will get my tickets online also. Saw some the other day for about $50.