Why do people stop skiing for the season? - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    Do ski family kids play more team sports on average than normal kids? And if team sports are year round activities these days, why would they only affect skier numbers in the late season? Sounds like this team sport epidemic ought to make it easier for parents to ski. Just drop them off at the Y and let the team sport coaches take care of them for the day. Or is team sport practice now a spectator event for team sport parents? Maybe team sport parents should just get their kids hooked on video games early and they'll miss that period in youth when playing team sports is considered cool and desirable.
    it really is just winter team sports that I brain washed my kids to hate (basketball) that effect regular season skiing. My kids did do indoor soccer but that was mostly weekdays and some weekend nights. Always told the coach that weekend games would be hit or miss.
    Spring sports starting is more the issue with spring skiing. Once in high school though almost everything is during the week so weekends are still free. My oldest played AAU baseball which did suck up time in the spring but during the winter it was only indoor practices on weekdays. By the way he is playing in college.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Do ski family kids play more team sports on average than normal kids? And if team sports are year round activities these days, why would they only affect skier numbers in the late season? Sounds like this team sport epidemic ought to make it easier for parents to ski. Just drop them off at the Y and let the team sport coaches take care of them for the day. Or is team sport practice now a spectator event for team sport parents? Maybe team sport parents should just get their kids hooked on video games early and they'll miss that period in youth when playing team sports is considered cool and desirable.
    Good question. My 12yo boy would play 24/7 Fortnite if allowed...so it's a battle. He will gladly drop fortnite for soccer. He needs his claws pulled from controller to get him skiing. Hence the reason we sign him up with ski group (really...).

But you pose a good question. Ski families I know are generally "active". No way they would enjoy an afternoon in mall, antiquing or sedentary. They bike, beach, hike, kayak, boat... speaking for myself - I go crazy if there is nothing to "do", active wise. But also lots of musicians and art types too. But few it seems that just hang out and do nothing all day, every day... I probably offended someone lol, as it's tough to generalize without - but skiers are active or we wouldn't be able to do it! Omg...a good number of my peers can't do much anymore because they are getting more immobile by the year...I refuse to sit on my arse without a fight! Hopefully my kids keep up activity and keep their bodies moving in some way.

Clean the garage
    Cut down trees damaged by nor'easters
    Finish painting the house
    Rebuild retaining walls
    Build dog kennel
    Tune up lawnmower
    Etc...
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    ......Soft bumps and deteriorating glades are my jam.
    +1
    Areas that become glades are so nice to both ski & hike through....

Clean the garage
    Cut down trees damaged by nor'easters
    Finish painting the house
    Rebuild retaining walls
    Build dog kennel
    Tune up lawnmower
    Etc...

ThinkSnow speaks the truth...
    Last edited by bigbog; Apr 3, 2018 at 10:45 AM.
    SteveD

For me, I will ski in spring as long as it is assured based on the forecast the snow will soften for at least 2-3 hours. If the forecast is borderline it will soften, will only soften for an hour or 2 before close, or a definite no, it's tough for me to justify taking a chance on conditions with a 2+ hour drive and being left to ski icy groomers.

While I will ski icy groomers early season, that's more for the excitement of skiing again. Late season I am not as excited to be skiing icy groomers since I've already had my fill of them all season long. I think this is the case for others as well.

Now if it's going to soften for an extended period and moguls and/or leftover natural will be in play, I make every effort to try and get out and ski. Soft spring bumps are one of my faves, and if there in play, I'll be skiing for the most part barring a super long drive once the closer places shut down.

Our kids play one sport per season and skiing is their winter sport. Winter mid week tennis lessons are about it. The pressure to play full time team sports is crazy and is not letting kids be kids. They end up hating the sport or are not as good as they (or their parents) expected them to be and they get cut. My kids play fall and spring team sports and the spring eats in a little to skiing but missing some early season practices happens. I'm fully in favor of playing a team sport or two as it is important in their development and learning how to get along with others. Skiing has always been a priority for us and our kids love it. The freedom, independence and responsibility they have learned is invaluable. I have to credit the Sugarbush Blazer program for this. It is sport and lifestyle.

I stop riding because they stop spinning the lifts and/or we do not have any more snow.
    Spring riding is a blast.
    2014 - 2015 Season: 16 days
    2015 - 2016 Season: 24 days
    2016 - 2017 Season: 33 days
    2017 - 2018 Season: 35 days
    2018 - 2019 Season: baby = hoping for... some? days...

Quote Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
    My kids play fall and spring team sports and the spring eats in a little to skiing but missing some early season practices happens.
    Once they are in high school missing a practice doesn't fly. Although most practices are on weekdays. My sons' HS baseball team practices Sundays in the afternoon starting in April.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    You should thank god your parents didn't feel that way.
    That was the choice his parents made and he made his. Different strokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Once they are in high school missing a practice doesn't fly. Although most practices are on weekdays. My sons' HS baseball team practices Sundays in the afternoon starting in April.
    Yeah, luckily the high school practices are during the week.

Thread Information