• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why do people stop skiing for the season?

Hawk

Ahh, the rhythm of the season. I just love every part. The anticipation of the start and launching into the season. The top to bottom training runs early on. Watching the weather for the first big storm. That first time that the woods and natural trials are real good. The deep snow period that those special places become an option. Then it all changes with the Spring and the corn cycles and the party season with warm days and bands on the plaza and finally closing day. We have no kids and have long made family aware that weekends are not an option unless it is a totally special occasion or something in the late afternoon on Sunday.
I am not sure of others rhythms at particular hills but the community at Sugarbush is special. The locals and regular pass holders have a strong bond. We are the first at the hill in the fall, ski together and end the day at the Castlerock and the Wunderbar. Things get busy with the onslaught of the vacationers and quad-packers. The spring comes and we get the mountain back and it is the same people year in and year out at the end. This year I did not get enough pow and was sad last week to see it all go. But this weekend reminded me that I love the spring with the parties and bands and general baffoonery. I will be there until it is over like all the others I ski with. And then Mountain biking season starts with the same cast of characters.

Glenn

Good input everyone!

I had a theory about other activities and kids being over scheduled. So it's good to get some insight.

I've always wanted to ski south of the equator during the typical off season. That would be a ton of fun. To have the ability to spend a few weeks down there and really get some skiing in would be spectacular.

Smellytele

Even a dog is too much for me. We decided to go childless early on and now I’m 48. Weekend getaway decisions are made last minute and I just can’t be bothered with pet concerns. She wants a cat but I’m going to resist that as long as I can.

We have decided not to get a new dog after putting our last one down. It makes going away easier as you don't have the added expense of kenneling or having a local kid watch them. We may reconsider when we are older. Cats are easy and can be left alone for a long weekend or a week with one visit from someone in the middle of the week. The kids now are at the age (one in college, a 17 and 15 year old) that we can leave them alone for a night or 2 to get away. They are much better behaved than I was as I would have had a keger if I was left alone at that age.

tumbler

Ahh, the rhythm of the season. I just love every part. The anticipation of the start and launching into the season. The top to bottom training runs early on. Watching the weather for the first big storm. That first time that the woods and natural trials are real good. The deep snow period that those special places become an option. Then it all changes with the Spring and the corn cycles and the party season with warm days and bands on the plaza and finally closing day. We have no kids and have long made family aware that weekends are not an option unless it is a totally special occasion or something in the late afternoon on Sunday.
I am not sure of others rhythms at particular hills but the community at Sugarbush is special. The locals and regular pass holders have a strong bond. We are the first at the hill in the fall, ski together and end the day at the Castlerock and the Wunderbar. Things get busy with the onslaught of the vacationers and quad-packers. The spring comes and we get the mountain back and it is the same people year in and year out at the end. This year I did not get enough pow and was sad last week to see it all go. But this weekend reminded me that I love the spring with the parties and bands and general baffoonery. I will be there until it is over like all the others I ski with. And then Mountain biking season starts with the same cast of characters.

Well put. This is why we have been there for over 20 years, both winter and summer. Had to be done a few weekends earlier than usual for family stuff and non-skiing vacation.

SkiFanE

This! My son is 25 now and I only get to ski with him a few times a year. Cherish the moments!
Yup. My 22yo and her BF skied on Saturday with us. Well he's a novice so we didn't actually ski much together lol. But having an adult lunch on mountain was fun. My 12yo who started at 2.5 and is an awesome skier HATES it! I tell him there was some type of hospital mix up. He is so grateful his ski program (aka "torture") is over. He refuses to ski with us the rest of the year. I keep hoping it's a phase (older 2 had a similar but not as strong phases they got through lol). He could play soccer 24/7...

But I know, as a family, skiing will be a constant glue. I see our little ski place being a magnet (as long as we pick up ski tickets lol) for years. Who wants to visit Mom and dad in boring suburbs? Instead we'll gather where there is skiing and stuff to do - we've already moved Xmas up there.

At at the same - I enjoy watching my son play soccer and the kids other sports (cheerleading and skiing clash - but my girl could still do that and ski coach this winter) - so it's not as hard to give up a ski day for it. Years go so fast - you never know when the "last" will be - but I'm confident there will be no "last" in skiing for me and my kids. I just enjoy whatever they do, it's a gift.

SkiFanE

TRANSLATION: Parents with subconscious psychological low self-esteem must "prove" their worth in life through their children's successes.

Screw that.
. Haha....none of my kids have gone the "elite" route. For my son, I was lobbied hard for him to join one - literally...phone call, texts, told about the caliber of the coaching, this, that, yadda yadda. Said no (forget about the crazy $ too). Son is too young (we did not red shirt him even tho he is born last day before cut off). Then next season, we agreed it was worth it. So he tried out. Didn't make it. Hmmmmm....wtf?! lol. And now that I've had 2 kids go through HS with these kids who were part of these programs - very few end up playing in college or beyond HS. I think sports are AMAZING for kids and played lots as a kid. But the fun is sucked out of it, in my opinion. Politics, $... Its sad actually. I was never a star, was pretty mediocre lol - but I loved playing and the entire team atmosphere for HS kids is invaluable (at a time they could easily go off the rails..). I like "free range" living haha...

jimk

Spring is the time of the season we diehards receive as a gift for outlasting all the casual skiers.

Seeing our kids succeed at skiing (or life) is a gift we parents receive for putting someone ahead of ourselves – except on powder days;-)

MEtoVTSkier

Even a dog is too much for me. We decided to go childless early on and now I’m 48. Weekend getaway decisions are made last minute and I just can’t be bothered with pet concerns. She wants a cat but I’m going to resist that as long as I can.

I don't blame you. I love my dog dearly, but when her time is up, I won't be replacing her anytime soon. I'd like to have that freedom back. She does travel with me almost everywhere I go except Florida.

Domeskier

Do ski family kids play more team sports on average than normal kids? And if team sports are year round activities these days, why would they only affect skier numbers in the late season? Sounds like this team sport epidemic ought to make it easier for parents to ski. Just drop them off at the Y and let the team sport coaches take care of them for the day. Or is team sport practice now a spectator event for team sport parents? Maybe team sport parents should just get their kids hooked on video games early and they'll miss that period in youth when playing team sports is considered cool and desirable.

Smellytele

Do ski family kids play more team sports on average than normal kids? And if team sports are year round activities these days, why would they only affect skier numbers in the late season? Sounds like this team sport epidemic ought to make it easier for parents to ski. Just drop them off at the Y and let the team sport coaches take care of them for the day. Or is team sport practice now a spectator event for team sport parents? Maybe team sport parents should just get their kids hooked on video games early and they'll miss that period in youth when playing team sports is considered cool and desirable.

it really is just winter team sports that I brain washed my kids to hate (basketball) that effect regular season skiing. My kids did do indoor soccer but that was mostly weekdays and some weekend nights. Always told the coach that weekend games would be hit or miss.
Spring sports starting is more the issue with spring skiing. Once in high school though almost everything is during the week so weekends are still free. My oldest played AAU baseball which did suck up time in the spring but during the winter it was only indoor practices on weekdays. By the way he is playing in college.

SkiFanE

Good question. My 12yo boy would play 24/7 Fortnite if allowed...so it's a battle. He will gladly drop fortnite for soccer. He needs his claws pulled from controller to get him skiing. Hence the reason we sign him up with ski group (really...).

But you pose a good question. Ski families I know are generally "active". No way they would enjoy an afternoon in mall, antiquing or sedentary. They bike, beach, hike, kayak, boat... speaking for myself - I go crazy if there is nothing to "do", active wise. But also lots of musicians and art types too. But few it seems that just hang out and do nothing all day, every day... I probably offended someone lol, as it's tough to generalize without - but skiers are active or we wouldn't be able to do it! Omg...a good number of my peers can't do much anymore because they are getting more immobile by the year...I refuse to sit on my arse without a fight! Hopefully my kids keep up activity and keep their bodies moving in some way.

ThinkSnow

Clean the garage
Cut down trees damaged by nor'easters
Finish painting the house
Rebuild retaining walls
Build dog kennel
Tune up lawnmower
Etc...

bigbog

......Soft bumps and deteriorating glades are my jam.

+1
Areas that become glades are so nice to both ski & hike through....

Clean the garage
Cut down trees damaged by nor'easters
Finish painting the house
Rebuild retaining walls
Build dog kennel
Tune up lawnmower
Etc...

ThinkSnow speaks the truth...:lol:

Last edited:

Kleetus

For me, I will ski in spring as long as it is assured based on the forecast the snow will soften for at least 2-3 hours. If the forecast is borderline it will soften, will only soften for an hour or 2 before close, or a definite no, it's tough for me to justify taking a chance on conditions with a 2+ hour drive and being left to ski icy groomers.

While I will ski icy groomers early season, that's more for the excitement of skiing again. Late season I am not as excited to be skiing icy groomers since I've already had my fill of them all season long. I think this is the case for others as well.

Now if it's going to soften for an extended period and moguls and/or leftover natural will be in play, I make every effort to try and get out and ski. Soft spring bumps are one of my faves, and if there in play, I'll be skiing for the most part barring a super long drive once the closer places shut down.

tumbler

Our kids play one sport per season and skiing is their winter sport. Winter mid week tennis lessons are about it. The pressure to play full time team sports is crazy and is not letting kids be kids. They end up hating the sport or are not as good as they (or their parents) expected them to be and they get cut. My kids play fall and spring team sports and the spring eats in a little to skiing but missing some early season practices happens. I'm fully in favor of playing a team sport or two as it is important in their development and learning how to get along with others. Skiing has always been a priority for us and our kids love it. The freedom, independence and responsibility they have learned is invaluable. I have to credit the Sugarbush Blazer program for this. It is sport and lifestyle.

Jcb890

I stop riding because they stop spinning the lifts and/or we do not have any more snow.
Spring riding is a blast.

Smellytele

My kids play fall and spring team sports and the spring eats in a little to skiing but missing some early season practices happens.
Once they are in high school missing a practice doesn't fly. Although most practices are on weekdays. My sons' HS baseball team practices Sundays in the afternoon starting in April.

tumbler

Once they are in high school missing a practice doesn't fly. Although most practices are on weekdays. My sons' HS baseball team practices Sundays in the afternoon starting in April.

Yeah, luckily the high school practices are during the week.