• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VT crowds Saturday 4/7?

KustyTheKlown

its $. its not like these kids will be setting people's condos on fire. they will overindulge in drink and party drugs and there will probably be a little bit of property damage and a mess. some normals who didn't get the memo will be kept up all night long. overall tho, this will pump money into the area during shoulder season, and that will be what most people probably remember.

Smellytele

its $. its not like these kids will be setting people's condos on fire. they will overindulge in drink and party drugs and there will probably be a little bit of property damage and a mess. some normals who didn't get the memo will be kept up all night long. overall tho, this will pump money into the area during shoulder season, and that will be what most people probably remember.
People not in the service industry will not remember money pumped into the economy.

HD333

How much $ does a typical festival goer actually pump back into to area? Especially the type described above.

I would guess it would be more along the lines of bring as much booze/drugs as you can up with you and just get annihilated at the 3 bedroom condo that sleeps 8 that you rented and are cramming 16 people into. Then head out to the show and sneak in booze/drugs. Maybe try to grab a slice of pizza while blacked out. They will get back to the condo somehow but not remember how. They will wake up 10 minutes before checkout and hit a McDonalds on their way out of town without even doing a once over of the condo leaving behind a mess.

Now on the other hand a bunch of 40 something’s headed up for a jazz/ reggae fest would pump some $ into the area. Everyone will want their own bed so they will rent 2 condos instead of 1. They will go out to a nice dinner and drop some coin on wine, etc...
They will score some weed from the babysitter and get high as kites before the show (cause it isn’t the skunk weed they grew up with). They will happily pay $10 a beer at the venue and Uber back to the condo. They will get up early and head out to a local breakfast place then return and clean the condo so it is cleaner than when they arrived.

Who are the locals going to want back next year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KustyTheKlown

points all well taken. i guess i speak from experience of 10k+ tickets sold summer festivals that take place in the middle of goddamn nowhere, where they would never have 10k people renting hotel rooms and homes and buying beer and ice locally.

Last edited:

tumbler

We need a trip report from this. Paging Dr Jeff...Molly on line 1.

icecoast1

Stay as far away from Mount Snow as possible. It's the last place you'll want your son to be this weekend.

FBGM

Yo this will be lit. Im gonna eat drugs, poop on dentist jeffs car, fornicate in the woods then burn my condo down.

Go hard or go home to jersey. Out.

FBGM

Okay, so Justin looked at the website and saw the bands and locations. How stupid is mount snow and peak resorts? You are having this show at your base area and party in your barn for the lift? This place is gonna be trashed. If the H heads from Bratt and Bennington come along with woods dirt bags around. Shit will get destroyed. Screw the families and fun spring time. Let’s do drugs and get wild. Awesome message to send. If I had a family I’d go anywhere else. This has to be the brain child of the drug dealer mountain ops manager.

sull1102

I'll be going to the festival and riding during the day. Will definitely let you guys know how it is goes. This crowd is definitely not for the families, the day shows will be, but I'm not expecting cocaine and needles everywhere. Should just be weed and acid with some molly if previous iterations at Stratton are any indication. If it goes well this will in fact be big for the area. You're misjudging the crowd of you think they aren't the type to eat local and all that jazz though. They love that shit.

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

Teleskier

What's 'scary' is all relative, isn't it?

I'm sure the same owners would much rather rent to the seniors of the Tanglewood crowd (more $$ on better food, more $$ on better wine, more $$ on better housing, better cars, the place would be even quieter and more gentile and even cleaner, than the 'weed-smelly' (potentially in their eyes) Reggae weekend crowd (etc). It's all relative to what you're personally used to. No? :)

As balance...

As bad as everyone makes this EDM event sound here... it sounds like a good antidote to all the "wild kids running around" and entitled family fathers all cramming their wife and kids into the singles-only lift lines (pet peeve of mine) and the nonstop "kids, kids, all about the crying kids" atmosphere that was the Christmas and New Year's holiday crowd (my first and last).

Surely this weekend can't be a worse crowd than that was to actually ski in, could it??

Give everyone a weekend of their own crowd to ski in and ski with. Families for some wknds, EDM on others. Why not?

I know I especially enjoy events like Telefest to ski with people of my own kind on the mountain. If it brings them into skiing, can it really be that bad?

Now that I mention it, a "classical music day" on the slopes might also be fun as a change of pace. :)

Last edited:

drjeff

I'll be going to the festival and riding during the day. Will definitely let you guys know how it is goes. This crowd is definitely not for the families, the day shows will be, but I'm not expecting cocaine and needles everywhere. Should just be weed and acid with some molly if previous iterations at Stratton are any indication. If it goes well this will in fact be big for the area. You're misjudging the crowd of you think they aren't the type to eat local and all that jazz though. They love that shit.

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app
The Dover 7-11 is going to have a HUGE weekend!! They'd probably sell 10k worth of taquitos if they could heat them up on the rollers quick enough!! Let alone the sales of PBR, Jaeger, firewater, etc..

Talking with the staff up in the Taproom about this last Friday, they weren't too thrilled and/or expecting too much tip wise from the crowd and the Heineken products that are the festival sponsors.....

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

I know I especially enjoy events like Telefest to ski with people of my own kind on the mountain. If it brings them into skiing, can it really be that bad?

I actually don't like skiing with other tele skiers. They seem to live up to the hype that they want to be seen. They seem to get into tele turns on every turn more often under the lift when they really don't need to. I tend to only tele turn if I have to or when it makes the turn easier.

bdfreetuna

As bad as everyone makes this EDM event sound here... it sounds like a good antidote to all the "wild kids running around" and entitled family fathers all cramming their wife and kids into the singles-only lift lines (pet peeve of mine) and the nonstop "kids, kids, all about the crying kids" atmosphere that was the Christmas and New Year's holiday crowd (my first and last).

You'd really rather have your kids experiment with the perfect candyflip ratio as opposed to waiting in a lift line?

Pez

Candyflip?

If sunbrook is closed and there's a trailer in front of the summit express quad, then it's up to stratton this Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

GregoryIsaacs

I actually don't like skiing with other tele skiers. They seem to live up to the hype that they want to be seen. They seem to get into tele turns on every turn more often under the lift when they really don't need to. I tend to only tele turn if I have to or when it makes the turn easier.

I think this is the only thing we can agree on.....

Teleskier

Wow. That’s a sad take on your fellow teleskiers and community. To be honest, that ‘hype’ sounds like it comes from some anti-tele environment which somehow you’ve internalized and adopted it?

Why do ‘they’ care where a person turns, or judges you on what kind of turn it is? That just doesn’t happen in any of the tele groups I’ve been part of - where they stress the exact opposite - the ‘correct’ tele turn is always whatever turn that gets you safely down the hill. It’s almost THE one standard tele mantra and creed. Again, it sounds like something non-tele skiers might assume about tele groups. Was this one jerk or one bad experience?

I’ve been teleskiing since before it was really a thing. Three decades ago, I personally left alpine skiing as ‘ruined and polluted’ due to Killington being Killington, NY/NJ skiers drastically changing the atmosphere of skiing there, along with their neon-colored jumpsuits being the last straw, in order to get back to the more pure Nordic roots of skiing. Semi-missing alpine, my Nordic buddies and I would try to go up lifts at alpine slopes (often turned away) on our double-camber XC skis. We’d then try to piece together something we thought could be this “telemark turn” that we had loosely heard about, to get down an alpine slope on free-heel XC gear. One good telemark turn down the entire slope, with many multiple falls in between as we figured it out on our own through trial and error, was a ‘good’ run where we spent an hour just getting down. Pure classic skiing… looking back probably my most fun skiing days.

Then as we did more and more XC tele, suddenly came single camber XC skis, then backcountry XC skis with edges, then NATO gatherings giving ‘official’ Dickie Hall crowd-sourced “3-step turn” instruction (much improved over our own prior “winged-it” way), then came beefier leather boots, then lightweight plastic boots (I was a longtime leather hold-out ‘purist’ until I saw how much better plastic was at one telefest), then wider-deeper-kneepad old-school technique was getting replaced in PSIA teaching by quicker-standier-mono new-school techniques, then came tele skis that for all their looks were simply re-badged alpine skis, plastic tele boots mimicking alpine boots, etc. Yet, to me tele still has its roots in real skiing, even if the equipment has become way better and way easier. Like shaped skis, maybe it’s now too easy?, but anyway - the opposite of a show-off poser fad. Working for your turns, each and every one.

I’ve been in many old-school groups to new-school groups and festivals - I have never experienced this “tele is just a fake show-off fad for under the lifts” dismissal you seem to be speaking to. There are days when I like my old-school turns best, and other days new-school. No one has ever ripped on me for being one or the other. It’s still a thrill for me when I see another tele person on the hill - no matter what turns or form they have. They are putting in the real effort towards the real deal in skiing (yes, I’m personally biased toward tele).

So I feel I have to stand up for decades worth of true tele culture which I have always found as being fun, ‘real’ and accepting. Is this some new snapchat-only millennial take to portray tele as some kind of fancy fake showboat fad? At lift-serviced areas only? NYC/NJ? In short - who ARE these people?? Not like any tele folks or tele groups I know.

So some people show off under the lifts - it’s same for alpiners and boarders - stop judging fellow tele people on their turns. I’m just happy they’re doing it - where I’m not the sole guy on the mountain anymore doing it. Do we need a Planet Fitness “judgement free zone” for tele now - never was that way - and still doesn’t seem to be the tele way for the free the heel, free the mind spirited people I know.

From the other spring skiing thread… YES - You really DO need a new set of friends!! :) :)