Your significant other... - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    My wife probably skis 80-85% of the number of days that I do (she's usually getting 40 or so days a season, and has basically every year since our youngest child was born 12 years ago). She's into her skiing for sure, although she's not as obsessed about many of the operations things that I am.

I am quite lucky to have both a wife and kids who enjoy the ski lifestyle as much as I do
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,7,14,15,21,26,27,28,29,30 (Mount Snow) 16 (Mount Southington) 22 (Okemo) 31 (Berkshire East)
    January: 1,4,5,11,12,18,19,20 (Mount Snow) 6,13 (Mount Southington)

My wife has been at management level at ski resorts for over a decade. You would think that she might be an advanced skier but thats not the case. She knows quite a bit about industry news and how things are done. I love that about her.

But, shes an intermediate skier, even with access to instructors for free and so on. Its just not her primary focus.

However, I have enjoyed dozens of free ski days, east and west, on her behalf. Shes got connections. I would be delighted if shed be on the same page as I am but I have realized that its not happening. It could be much worse and Im grateful for my situation.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

My spouse does not ski or snowboard, but has an avid interest in XC skiing & snowshoeing. We frequently do those two activities together, which leaves me with plenty of free time with my ski buddies for the downhill stuff. Works out great.
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    So, does your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, husband..care about all these things we pontificate on ..all the time? Or do they not even think about it much. Do they know the weather forecast, conditions, watch ski movies, etc ? When I decided to get married again, I picked another skier. She was Vice pres of the ski club. Yes I had to pretty much throw out ALL her stuff and start over but she was game. And now she skis much better and gets in over 25 days a season. But I can't really talk to her about these things, she doesn't care too much. But thats why I have ALL of you.
    Thoughts...

Consider yourself lucky! I am also lucky. My wife also skis 25-30 days a season. But she is more a social skier, where I'm in it to win it ( at least win the competition between one half of my ego and the other ) But, she knows I'm a ski nut so she tolerates all my obsessiveness over skiing, and my quiver .

My darling is as into it as I am, maybe more. She got me my first lesson as a present. I got into the sport as she was getting back into it after a college / early 20s hiatus. Going on ski trips together has always been our favorite winter getaway.

Now that you mention it, I might never have gotten into it if not for her, and skiing / boarding together has been a great part of our relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    My wife has been at management level at ski resorts for over a decade. You would think that she might be an advanced skier but that’s not the case. She knows quite a bit about industry news and how things are done. I love that about her.

But, she’s an intermediate skier, even with access to instructors for free and so on. It’s just not her primary focus.

However, I have enjoyed dozens of free ski days, east and west, on her behalf. She’s got connections. I would be delighted if she’d be on the same page as I am but I have realized that it’s not happening. It could be much worse and I’m grateful for my situation.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    employ me please.

As far as woman who ski well in NYC..check out my club..Diamond Dogs. We have no house or dues or anything..just trips and happy hours..and some of the woman are pretty good. I ski with s ome of them in jackson, snowbird etc..theyre not going to do octopi garden..but few people do. We gave good trips and good prices and a bunch of us can hit the good stuff. The trips sell out very fast. Most are under 2 grand.
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

got a link? I'm a little wary of ski clubs in general. I feel like i'm younger than the typical demographic, and I also like doing this alone and with my select group of ski buddies the other half of the time.

Maybe you'd call us the quintessential ski couple lol. I started at 5yo, he at 3.5yo. Met in college when I skied once/year but never with him. Not until 4-5 years later did we finally ski together and he realized I was pretty good. So then it became our activity. I got a second job to afford new ski equipment and ski tickets. And then we spent winters day tripping, crashing on couches and cheap motel rooms. Then had kid during magnificent winter of 95/96 lol. Then 2 more. Bought ski place between kid 2 & 3.

We are both very good. I prefer to bump all day - he likes them but more of a "I'll hike through thickets for 30 minutes to get a nice pow line". I tend to last longer than him and tire less - so he knows I'll ditch him if needed. We have to swap off kid stuff based on who has less days or negotiates better lmao. But we can ski the same stuff and it's a wonderful thing. In some ways I'm more die hard - as he gets just as much of a thrill in DH mt biking - whereas I love Mt biking but not nearly as much pass skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    there are very few women (at least in my NYC dating pool) who could hack it with what and how I am trying to ski. if I lived in Denver or something, no problem. but if I meet a woman in nyc who says she skis, she means that she skis groomers at killington 5 days a year.
    Sounds about right for most of the women I've met in NJ that say they ski too.

in my experience down here, it's just been easier to date non skiers or casual skiers and then encourage them to do it more, with the understanding that if she comes with me on a ski trip, we'll drive together, eat together, sleep together, but for the most part not ski together. as well as the understanding that from thanksgiving to easter I will not be available on a weekend for almost anything.
    I'd love to know how you find non-skier women that are ok with that...I mentioned simply that I ski quite a bit in the winter to one woman I had just met recently and her response was something along the lines of "how's that working out for you? Maybe that's why you're single. You need to realize there's more than skiing in life." That was as far as that went...was a bit floored by that response when this was someone that I had only just met that realistically knew almost nothing about me.

Thread Information