• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your significant other...

Smellytele

Of course I, or any skier, would quickly lose that argument.

The very expensively obtained advice would very likely be along the lines of:
  • More antiquing, less skiing.
  • My goodness! You skied over TWENTY days this year?!?! That's quite obsessive you know, and WAY too much.
  • TWO ski days a year, yes I agree, would surely be plenty enough for anyone
  • Wait - your skiing culture actually says "There are no friends on powder days?" How anti-social. Clearly a nutty sport
  • Wait - isn't that sport how the Kennedy's died?

In jest of course.

And it's not as bad as it sounds. My other half actually does enjoy our local weekends away skiing, once talked into them and actually on them, for all the other fun things they incorporate (including shopping and antiquing), everything about it, except the actual skiing part. And truth be told, I do enjoy them also, maybe even including the 'sacrificial' patient ski instructor parts. When I do finally see a milestone breakthrough after many years of trying, it is indeed a moment of long awaited but tremendous rush of joy.

I just make sure to get my actual skiing in on other days, to keep me sane. Plus, another benefit is that it leaves more buddy passes for my friends.

And I was thinking about the deeper question this morning:

Do I personally consider skiing as a social group sport, or an individual solo sport? That would likely be a longer discussion, with good arguments on both sides. My own history is: I ping pong between both.

I was leaning more toward you needing counseling.

Teleskier

I was leaning more toward you needing counseling.

I figured. But was being nice anyway.

Interesting. Said by the person who pronounced that teleskiers can't drink wine, but how you'd never ski with one, because unlike you and your turns, THEY were just showing off. Sounds healthy to me.

Unless you're just trying to ingratiate yourself to what you see as a mostly alpine, anti-tele culture here. I wouldn't know. I'm new here. I'm assessing it for myself, person by person.

Smellytele

I figured. But was being nice anyway.

Interesting. Said by the person who pronounced that teleskiers can't drink wine, but how you'd never ski with one, because unlike you and your turns, THEY were just showing off. Sounds healthy to me.

Unless you're just trying to ingratiate yourself to what you see as a mostly alpine, anti-tele culture here. I wouldn't know. I'm new here. I'm assessing it for myself, person by person.

What??? teleskiers can't drink wine????

Teleskier

I'll leave it to others to find the quote, I don't have time. Something along the lines of 'this teleskier sounded fishy to me the moment he mentioned wine" or some such. At the time I felt it was an odd thing for someone with a teleskier username to say. But at the time I didn't know yet that you as a teleskier dislike teleskiers. Sounds like classic internalized self-hatred to me, but I'm not in that field, so what do I know.

Smellytele

I'll leave it to others to find the quote, I don't have time. Something along the lines of 'this teleskier sounded fishy to me the moment he mentioned wine" or some such. At the time I felt it was an odd thing for someone with a teleskier username to say. But at the time I didn't know yet that you as a teleskier dislike teleskiers. Sounds like classic internalized self-hatred to me, but I'm not in that field, so what do I know.

That was not a quote of mine.

kingslug

Well ill ski with any one..mono ski..teleski..
Snowblades....eh...maybe not..although i did once out west..guys back could not take the torque of a regular ski..and he ripped on those little things..right up to the time he really..really crashed...all caught on video of course.

Glenn

Snowblades....eh...maybe not..although i did once out west..guys back could not take the torque of a regular ski..and he ripped on those little things..right up to the time he really..really crashed...all caught on video of course.

I skied on those once when I worked at a ski shop years ago. Occasionally, I would work at the rental shop at the semi local hill. I could take out whatever I wanted on lunch break and use the shop lift pass. I tried snowblades one afternoon. It was kinda fun for a few runs on a small hill. You learn really quickly that you can't lean back like you can on regular skis. Never had the desire to try them again.

KustyTheKlown

I went out with my girlfriend and her best friend and her boyfriend. my first time meeting them. they went to Utah earlier this year. she snowboards. he snowblades. it took everything in my soul to not rip him apart and make so much fun.

kingslug

I met this guy and his friend on some pretty steep terrain. I was floored when I saw them. He was floored when they didn't work out so well. But he uses them all the time so I guess he gets by.

DoublePlanker

I've used my snow blades exclusively for 3 years. They are awesome with 3 and 4 year old kids because you can maneuver around them.

I did use them a long time ago in Highlands Bowl at Aspen Highlands. Not good in deep powder.

They are excellent on ice.

I do remember a very bad fall at Aspen Highlands when I hit a rock going off a drop. I couldn't arrest my fall, spun like a top for a very long time. Thankfully did not encounter any trees or signs. Powder skis are more fun in the steep and deep.

BenedictGomez

Saw a few snow bikes this year. Haven't tried myself though

I see these fairly often at Jay Peak. When I was at Vail last year they had sunset "snowbike tours", but its' last day was the day before I arrived.

I also see those "skateboard attached to a ski" things that I dont really undestand at Jay Peak. I guess having your feet attached to a snowboard is too restricting for some?

KustyTheKlown

I see these fairly often at Jay Peak. When I was at Vail last year they had sunset "snowbike tours", but its' last day was the day before I arrived.

I also see those "skateboard attached to a ski" things that I dont really undestand at Jay Peak. I guess having your feet attached to a snowboard is too restricting for some?

I think skateboarders just dig it because it is literally skateboarding on snow.