• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Catamount Ski Area News

Sotto

Hahaha yeah baby! Per Facebook...

They posted a video and it appears to run parallel to Catapult and drop into On Stage to the skiers right of the little double. That's really freakin' steep if you don't know the mountain!
f55f73b24b64a8776d6e3f5478bc874a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

slatham

New trails between Sidewinder and Alley Cat. Really adding terrain. Good for them - I always enjoyed the day trip to Catamount and now there will be a lot more to offer.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
f55f73b24b64a8776d6e3f5478bc874a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wow...a new double diamond and it looks like 2 more intermediate or advanced trails. This expansion and the smaller stuff they did last year putting in the new triple and cutting a couple small trails puts Catamount on-par with the size of Jiminy Peak and absolutely blows Butternut out-of-the-water.

And the new double diamond looks to head "straighter" down the mountain than Catapult which tends to make me think it'd be steeper. IMO, Catapult is at the top range of what most major Vermont mountains would consider a single black (it's profile always reminded me of the bottom of Superstar at Killington or Organgrinder at Sugarbush)...this new trail might be a legit thriller.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
The new trail map is up...

https://www.catamountski.com/trail-maps/

new cat.jpg

New parallel Catapult double black diamond trail. One new long blue and one long black trail between Alleycat and Fisher's. Another new double black trail from Ridge Run into Holiday (not sure if this one is actually cut yet or not...). Night skiing now on Ridge. Expanded Spencer's run so it now continues under the liftline of the Promenade triple.

Last year their trail map listed 34/39 trails with snowmaking, this year it says 40/43 with snowmaking. So it's a fair assumption all the new terrain has snowmaking.

If you live within 2 hours of this place their is absolutely no reason not to try it out.

JimG.

Staff member
Been by Catamount a few times this summer on my way to Great Barrington.

New trails look interesting, I might very well give it a shot this season. Only about an hour from my house.

Have not skied Catamount in at least 45 years.

urungus

Wow, those are some great improvements ... unfortunately it seems that they have abandoned their expansion plans at Berkshire East (my home area) to concentrate on Catamount.

Tin

Wow, those are some great improvements ... unfortunately it seems that they have abandoned their expansion plans at Berkshire East (my home area) to concentrate on Catamount.

Was thinking the same and bummed about it. Berkie has amazing terrain but the ledge and conifers make it difficult to ever ski. It has to be a wild winter to be able to get in the unmarked woods. I would think Catamount does better in terms of snowfall than Berkshire East and doesn't have as much rock so expanding terrain that can be opened easier makes sense. Unfortunately Berkshire East is in a bit of a snow hole. Just drive 10 miles west down the Mohawk or north towards Heath and the snowfall/pack difference is incredible.

Pez

The last couple years I’ve had a couple fun days at Berkshire. The place is much steeper than I remember.

Catamount is a little further for me but I’m itching to get there. It’s cool that a season pass gets you access to both places. Wish The Nut would do that with blandford and Otis.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone