Scariest Lift Descent

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Scariest Lift Descent

I am in my 5th season and as a snowboarder, but I still trip up when unloading at some lifts. What impacts things include, folks standing in front of the unload, icy conditions and super steep descents. My confidence lacks in this, at times. I am getting better.

What is the scariest lifts to unload? Love that photo occasionally posted.

Whaleback
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Any sixpack at a mountain relatively close to a metropolitan area. Jiminy Peak, Mount Snow, Okemo, soon Windham, Hunter, SR Chondola.
    2019-2020 19 days and counting...
    Thunder Ridge: 12/7, 12/8, 12/21, 12/26, 12/27, 12/28, 12/29
    Killington: 11/15, 12/16, 12/17, 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/23 Mount Snow: 11/27, 12/2, 12/24 Jiminy Peak: 12/6 Catamount: 12/13 Pico: 12/19 Mohawk: 12/27
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Outpost double at pico is a tough one.

This is my wife's 4th season and she also lacks confidence in this area. She's getting better though. Still has a fear of heights with some lifts too, so that doesn't help things.

Sunbrook at Mt. Snow can often get crowded at the unloading point and is usually pretty steep and icy. The Bluebird can be a pain just due to people standing in the way and 6 people getting off at once.

Lately I have taken to sarcastically thanking people for standing in the way at unloading points.
    Last Saturday on Loon's South Peak it was really bad, people were just camped out right in the unloading area almost every seemingly.

Mid point on the Snowden Triple at Killington. Pretty much a straight drop down. Mostly used by KMS kids to lap Hi-line without having to go to the top though.

When I first started it was my biggest fear..getting off the damn thing.
    While at Whiteface years ago I was attempting to teach my friend how to ski..in 40 mph winds..it blew him off the ramp and into the safety netting..all 280 lbs of him..never seen that before..rather interesting..just not for him. Also the ramp off the mens downhill run..pretty steep and it ends in the woods..if you keep going...he did that too..
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    This is my wife's 4th season and she also lacks confidence in this area. She's getting better though. Still has a fear of heights with some lifts too, so that doesn't help things.

Sunbrook at Mt. Snow can often get crowded at the unloading point and is usually pretty steep and icy. The Bluebird can be a pain just due to people standing in the way and 6 people getting off at once.

Lately I have taken to sarcastically thanking people for standing in the way at unloading points.
    Last Saturday on Loon's South Peak it was really bad, people were just camped out right in the unloading area almost every seemingly.
    Kind of surprised that happened at Loon. I found it one of the more civilized resorts with the people being very polite and respectful. Now if you told me Mountain Creek, I would not be surprised at all.

This thing: https://www.ski.com/blog/everything-...ingshot-lifts/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Killingtime View Post
    Mid point on the Snowden Triple at Killington. Pretty much a straight drop down. Mostly used by KMS kids to lap Hi-line without having to go to the top though.
    Oh yeah, that's another good one. And if you are staying on and aren't paying attention its short enough to slam your skis/knees too.

Quote Originally Posted by Killingtime View Post
    Kind of surprised that happened at Loon. I found it one of the more civilized resorts with the people being very polite and respectful. Now if you told me Mountain Creek, I would not be surprised at all.
    I find this to normally be the case as well. It was a large group of skiers who were all together and just did not have much awareness off the top of the lift - standing around chatting, etc. It wasn't really a problem, just an annoyance.

Thread Information