• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Scariest Lift Descent

caribchakita

Website
www.bonairecaribbean.com
I am in my 5th season and as a snowboarder, but I still trip up when unloading at some lifts. What impacts things include, folks standing in front of the unload, icy conditions and super steep descents. My confidence lacks in this, at times. I am getting better.

What is the scariest lifts to unload? Love that photo occasionally posted.

skiur

Outpost double at pico is a tough one.

Jcb890

This is my wife's 4th season and she also lacks confidence in this area. She's getting better though. Still has a fear of heights with some lifts too, so that doesn't help things.

Sunbrook at Mt. Snow can often get crowded at the unloading point and is usually pretty steep and icy. The Bluebird can be a pain just due to people standing in the way and 6 people getting off at once.

Lately I have taken to sarcastically thanking people for standing in the way at unloading points.
Last Saturday on Loon's South Peak it was really bad, people were just camped out right in the unloading area almost every seemingly.

Killingtime

Mid point on the Snowden Triple at Killington. Pretty much a straight drop down. Mostly used by KMS kids to lap Hi-line without having to go to the top though.

kingslug

When I first started it was my biggest fear..getting off the damn thing.
While at Whiteface years ago I was attempting to teach my friend how to ski..in 40 mph winds..it blew him off the ramp and into the safety netting..all 280 lbs of him..never seen that before..rather interesting..just not for him. Also the ramp off the mens downhill run..pretty steep and it ends in the woods..if you keep going...he did that too..

Killingtime

This is my wife's 4th season and she also lacks confidence in this area. She's getting better though. Still has a fear of heights with some lifts too, so that doesn't help things.

Sunbrook at Mt. Snow can often get crowded at the unloading point and is usually pretty steep and icy. The Bluebird can be a pain just due to people standing in the way and 6 people getting off at once.

Lately I have taken to sarcastically thanking people for standing in the way at unloading points.
Last Saturday on Loon's South Peak it was really bad, people were just camped out right in the unloading area almost every seemingly.

Kind of surprised that happened at Loon. I found it one of the more civilized resorts with the people being very polite and respectful. Now if you told me Mountain Creek, I would not be surprised at all.

Jcb890

Mid point on the Snowden Triple at Killington. Pretty much a straight drop down. Mostly used by KMS kids to lap Hi-line without having to go to the top though.
Oh yeah, that's another good one. And if you are staying on and aren't paying attention its short enough to slam your skis/knees too.

Kind of surprised that happened at Loon. I found it one of the more civilized resorts with the people being very polite and respectful. Now if you told me Mountain Creek, I would not be surprised at all.
I find this to normally be the case as well. It was a large group of skiers who were all together and just did not have much awareness off the top of the lift - standing around chatting, etc. It wasn't really a problem, just an annoyance.

jmgard

Cannonball quad... the only double black at Cannon is the unload ramp

Semi-related... the only time I've been to Okemo was the 08-09 season but I remember one of the lifts out of the base area had an unload carpet, as a kid I thought that was really fun to ride. Have not seen one anywhere else since

Glenn

I'd take that lift. I'd just make sure anyone who rides it with me has experience riding a t-bar, j-bar and most importantly, a traditional Poma lift. If you took that up with someone who learned to ski on carpets and debatables it would be a giant cluster fudgesicle.

I love surface lifts, I miss them in fact. I loved the Poma at Burke. I'd make it a point to ride that every time we went there. I took a snowboard up it a few times.