• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Scariest Lift Descent

speden

Things I find make for a tricky unload:

1. Person next to me steps on my skis or swerves into me during the unload
2. I'm sitting on the extreme right and want to turn left after the unload but the other people want to turn right (or vice versa)

I kind of prefer steep descents at the unload since then you have some energy to clear out of there and get to the trail, but the steepness can be intimidating for beginners and then they may do stuff like hesitate to drop off or stretch out their arms for balance, and that can mess things up.

JimG.

Staff member

bdfreetuna

I'm not a fan of lifts where there is still a long way to fall when you have to put the bar up. Not a fan of heights.

But the worst lift dismount was at Mount Rose last year. Super high winds. We thought our skis would come out of the bindings due to wind, and it was probably a good thing none of us had low DINs. Getting off the lift was nearly impossible because the chair was getting blown in every direction, I think we all more or less jumped the landing, and then the wind was vicious making it painful and difficult to get down the mountain.

Everything went on wind hold after that which also sucked especially for being in Lake Tahoe on vacation.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
2 weeks ago I was out with my little guy . Lift stops 20' from the unloading platform ,bar up . Me " Keep your tips up" kid "Ok dad" . A little bit longer of a delay 45 seconds or so . Lift starts quickly caught him unaware and chair tilts back a bit catching both his tips down. Pulled him off the chair, face plant on the platform . Scared the hell out of me ,although he was fine thanks to the top liftee paying attention.

podunk77

I'm not a snowboarder so maybe that's why I don't get it, but honestly I don't understand how seasoned skiers can have such strong feelings about an unloading area. You're in the far right seat on a 6-pack and want to go left off the lift? Do a little snowplow, let others go where they want, and then go where you want. At worst, it's about a six second process of letting people sort themselves out.

Like I said, maybe this is snowboard-specific and I missed the whole point, but I'd hate to become a society where we have to spend the last minute or so of a chairlift ride sorting out where everyone's going... nothing screams newby like "which way are you going?"

benski

Honorable mention, the old Valley House at Sugarbush with the steep unload fallowed by a banked turn.

Jcb890

I'm not a snowboarder so maybe that's why I don't get it, but honestly I don't understand how seasoned skiers can have such strong feelings about an unloading area. You're in the far right seat on a 6-pack and want to go left off the lift? Do a little snowplow, let others go where they want, and then go where you want. At worst, it's about a six second process of letting people sort themselves out.

Like I said, maybe this is snowboard-specific and I missed the whole point, but I'd hate to become a society where we have to spend the last minute or so of a chairlift ride sorting out where everyone's going... nothing screams newby like "which way are you going?"
I think its kind of a tongue-in-cheek kind of thing... I don't think the seasoned skiers or boarders on this site are actually having issues getting off lifts. Some off-ramps are pretty crappy/dangerous though.

cdskier

Honorable mention, the old Valley House at Sugarbush with the steep unload fallowed by a banked turn.

The banked turn never bothered me...but people potentially crossing in front of the area after the banked turn coming across the VHT was a concern...

The new unloading area for the Valley House lift sure is a huge improvement over the old one.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Fun story from Okemo last week...one of those "you know you're a ski instructor when..." moments.

I was skiing solo and got paired up with 3 kids ages 6-8 to ride the Quantum Four at Jackson Gore. They seemed like strong skiers. They loaded fine and rode up fine. We get to the top and I'm thinking we're in the clear. Well, they go to stand up at the unload ramp and I watch, seemingly in slow motion the boy next to me start doing a split and fall down literally right in front of me. His friends got off OK. So my "instincts" kick in and I raise my legs/skis up and put my skis across the now-empty chair so I don't slash this kids face open with my edges. I was essentially laying down in the seat. The lifty stops the chair just as it starts doing the turn-around. I actually got a couple cheers and pole-claps from the people standing at the top of the lift watching this affair. I awkwardly get off and someone skis over to me and says "nice job! That was a dad move!"

Here's the kicker...this whole time I felt no emotion. No "oh crap" moment, no anger at the kid, no fear I was gonna hurt him or myself...it was just a routine moment of quick-thinking with kids for me...I guess it looked pretty superhero-esque apparently! I just have this image in my mind of me looking super bored about to get off this chair and then instantly doing evasive moves to not hurt this kid while my "bored" face never changes.

caribchakita

Website
www.bonairecaribbean.com
It's true, my expert bf has no issue..it's my stupid fear..I have had two serious wipe outs; once in glare ice getting off a lift at Wildcat and once, spring boarding at Killington, I have NO idea what I did but it was my first year and I fell off and rolled off to the side..lost my Tag Heur and more..it was a %$#@ show. I am scarred..LOL

deadheadskier

Staff member
I like the single chair at MRG..no ramp..just get off and step to the right....
The Single actually gives me the most anxiety of any chair while loading. Had a mishap with that chair about five years ago. Went to get on and when the newbie liftie went to bump my chair he didn't try and pull/slow it straight back. He swung it outwards and I took the center pole straight in the back HARD. I really got nailed.

Went up and took my run. I got back to the bottom and watched the same thing happen to a couple of other skiers. They pulled him off the job and sent him to the double.

So, now every time I ride that thing I get a little nervous I'll get nailed again. Lol

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

The Single actually gives me the most anxiety of any chair while loading. Had a mishap with that chair about five years ago. Went to get on and when the newbie liftie went to bump my chair he didn't try and pull/slow it straight back. He swung it outwards and I took the center pole straight in the back HARD. I really got nailed.

Went up and took my run. I got back to the bottom and watched the same thing happen to a couple of other skiers. They pulled him off the job and sent him to the double.

So, now every time I ride that thing I get a little nervous I'll get nailed again. Lol

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

At least it was the back and not lower.