• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Scariest Lift Descent

wa-loaf

That's what I was thinking, how windy would it have to be for one of those to be on hold?

They don't usually. The point is when all the other lifts are on wind hold you can still ride because there is a surface lift available as back-up.

DoublePlanker

They don't usually. The point is when all the other lifts are on wind hold you can still ride because there is a surface lift available as back-up.

I've been at Sugarloaf when the t-bar was on wind hold. Like 120mph winds at the summit. Mountain closed all weekend.

Vaughn

Haystack

When I was a kid, the scariest lift was the one at Haystack with the optional offramp in the middle. I did not like that.

ceo

The old Peabody double at Cannon had a really steep and high unloading ramp. Ramps like that are less common these days with bullwheel unloading.

ceo

I've been at Sugarloaf when the t-bar was on wind hold.
Same. Bucksaw and DRC were open, but a patroller told me the wind was so strong on the upper mountain you couldn't stand up.

lerops

I'd take that lift. I'd just make sure anyone who rides it with me has experience riding a t-bar, j-bar and most importantly, a traditional Poma lift. If you took that up with someone who learned to ski on carpets and debatables it would be a giant cluster fudgesicle.

I love surface lifts, I miss them in fact. I loved the Poma at Burke. I'd make it a point to ride that every time we went there. I took a snowboard up it a few times.

I’ve only seen these kinds of lifts in glaciers, or at quite remote/advanced parts of mountains. So have not seen any beginners taking them. Does that happen?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I’ve only seen these kinds of lifts in glaciers, or at quite remote/advanced parts of mountains. So have not seen any beginners taking them. Does that happen?

Lol...that's how people learned up until 15 years ago when carpets became the thing. Lot's Poma's, T-bars, J-bars...I don't know how many are left in beginner areas these days? Notables that I can think of off the top of my head that made it past 2010 or so are Stowe's platter at the base of the gondola, a small poma at Okemo, and maybe Killington's poma at Snowshed made it past 2010?

Bromely still has a J-bar operating at it's base, correct?

lerops

Lol...that's how people learned up until 15 years ago when carpets became the thing. Lot's Poma's, T-bars, J-bars...I don't know how many are left in beginner areas these days? Notables that I can think of off the top of my head that made it past 2010 or so are Stowe's platter at the base of the gondola, a small poma at Okemo, and maybe Killington's poma at Snowshed made it past 2010?

I started skiing 13 years ago, so that checks. LOL

cdskier

The ski area in the Poconos where I learned in the mid-late 90s had a J-bar for their beginner area. They have since replaced it with a carpet though.

rtjcbrown

The Single actually gives me the most anxiety of any chair while loading. Had a mishap with that chair about five years ago. Went to get on and when the newbie liftie went to bump my chair he didn't try and pull/slow it straight back. He swung it outwards and I took the center pole straight in the back HARD. I really got nailed.

Went up and took my run. I got back to the bottom and watched the same thing happen to a couple of other skiers. They pulled him off the job and sent him to the double.

So, now every time I ride that thing I get a little nervous I'll get nailed again. Lol

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Would have never happened on Billy Go-Go's watch

CoolMike

Honorable mention, the old Valley House at Sugarbush with the steep unload fallowed by a banked turn.

Ahh good one! That one did get hairy sometimes, especially if there is a buildup of people relaxing below the unload area from the long traverse.

On busy weekend days the rope speed was actually pretty fast and the narrow turn could make that area tough enough that even an 'expert' has to pay close attention.

My memory for this stuff isn't that good but I think I recall the lift on lookers right at (timberline?) Bolton Valley was pretty steep and has a small landing area. Only saving grace there is that the lift speed is super slow so at least you don't get piles of people there.

Come to think of it slow line speeds sometimes cause a problem for unloading in itself as people lose patience and jump off to early only to get whacked in the behind by the chair as it finally spins around.