• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Minus Zero at Mt. Snow

twinplanx

Curious what the Mt Snow regulars think of this. Apparently there's a 3 day event wrapping up today. Billed as a Winter Enthusiasts music and arts event. Unclear if there are any on snow events. Sounds like 3 stages of EDM acts I've never heard of. Not that that's my scene anyway, but I used to go to raves back in the day lol. EDM (Electronic Dance Music) is somewhat more mainstream than Rave/Techno but I would still assume some culture clash. I only heard about this event on Friday on Mount Snow's Facebook page. If I had known about it earlier I might have been able to check it out for myself.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

Pez

I'm at Stratton today because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

Skied yesterday and am having lunch now. An interesting crowd/ event.

Lots of people up for the festival checking out Mount Snow for the first time. Lots of rental gear and day tickets on the hill.

Crowd volume on the hill isn't really an issue given that the mountain is about 90% open. The crowd is the late arriving (think 11-1 late) type for the most part, so that hasn't been too bad. The Bluebird is running with generally 5 to 10 minute lines, Nitro over at Carinthia has been in the 3 to 5 minute line category and the North face and Bear trap have been ski on for the most part.

The crowd is full of sights (apparently neon colored onsies in something of a My Little Pony, Hello Kitty or Game of Thrones genre is the main attire) - plenty of extra folks drinking beers in the lines and smoking and/or vaping. You don't have to look to hard to see someone obviously high in the base area.

I haven't attended the festival itself. Very easy to hear the music from the back deck of my condo which is roughly a mile from the main stage. Plenty of people up in the valley as well.

Not sure how this festival ultimately will go down as from Management's perspective. Plenty of pro's and cons....

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

sull1102

Over on the passholder forum it sounded like management was pretty happy with the event and wants it back. They said the local authorities were happy with how things were going to so that is a huge plus. If nothing else I just hope this pushes the mountain to stay open later into April.

MommaBear

Here today (skiing, not festivaling). As Jeff said, plenty of mountain open and the skiing was great! The main stage is right next to the Blue Bird maze so you can't help but hear the music. Didn't bother me. A little startled by some F bombs being dropped during the afternoon shows (but expected them based on a discussion of it in another thread). Maybe because its the 3rd day and everyone's tired (or high), but I found it to be pretty mellow. Lots of customs (but then again, Robin the maze attendant was wearing a penguin outfit...) The younger crowd attending didn't bother me so much as the middle ages guys on a couple of lift rides that were clearly enjoying something that were way more obnoxious. Lots of booths with wares for sale. Overall, not the shit show I was expecting at all. (But I wasn't here at night. Heard one of the tents became a triage center with a lot of narcan being put to use.)

elks

It looked like a pretty successful event for the mountain and anything that keeps them profitable without raising skiing rates is ok by me. It did make lines long at the Bluebird Express. Usually by noon on Sunday, the lines die down considerably, but that wasn't the case yesterday. Having the Grand Summit Express reserved for festival goers probably contributed to the lines at the Bluebird. On mountain skiing was pretty darn good for mid-April in southern VT!

twinplanx

It looked like a pretty successful event for the mountain and anything that keeps them profitable without raising skiing rates is ok by me. It did make lines long at the Bluebird Express. Usually by noon on Sunday, the lines die down considerably, but that wasn't the case yesterday. Having the Grand Summit Express reserved for festival goers probably contributed to the lines at the Bluebird. On mountain skiing was pretty darn good for mid-April in southern VT!
Wait...so were lift tickets part of the festival package? Some of the details are still unclear to me. Glad it was a successful event and not a complete shit show. Although I guess some people may have avoided MS this weekend. But, like you said seems like a net gain. Can the rumors of Narcan/triage being needed be confirmed? That would suck, but these events have a reputation and I'm willing to give them benefit of the doubt.

sull1102

Can quash the narcan and triage rumors. Silly made up rumors. Not saying drugs weren't a part of the festivities, but heroin was not one of them.

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Wait...so were lift tickets part of the festival package? Some of the details are still unclear to me. Glad it was a successful event and not a complete shit show. Although I guess some people may have avoided MS this weekend. But, like you said seems like a net gain. Can the rumors of Narcan/triage being needed be confirmed? That would suck, but these events have a reputation and I'm willing to give them benefit of the doubt.

Lift tickets were separate from Festival tickets - there was a package deal with festival and lift tickets available. A good amount of lift tickets and rental equipment were on the hill this weekend.

Per one of my ski patrol friends, who was over at my condo on Saturday evening before he was going back to the mountain to work the 9PM to 2AM festival shift (apparently Minus Zero brought there own medical staff who handled much of the needs onsite after staff brought anyone who needed medical attention to their makeshift clinic (in this case they used the Backside Snowboard shop in the main base lodge), there was 1 attendee on Friday night who needed Narcan. I haven't spoken with my friend after his Saturday shift and/or heard about the Sunday night session.

All in all, it didn't seem from what I saw (I didn't have tickets to the Festival, just skied Saturday and Sunday and was out shopping for dinner items along route 100 on Saturday PM about the time the Festival was starting for the evening) it wasn't the total Narcan fest that many had thought it would be. Sure, plenty of alcohol was consumed (both while skiing/riding and at the Festival from what I heard from my friends in food and beverage), plenty of smell of pot in the air, and plenty of people walking around the base area before the Festival started who looked quite "altered" ion the mental status.

Most of the attendees that I had interaction with were quite nice and mellow. The only 1 who really stood out in both mine and my wife's mind, was on Saturday, me, my wife and our 14 year old daughter got paired up on the Bluebird with 3 what looked to be mid 20's, obviously a bit hung over from the night before from what they were saying as they were making their first chair of the day at about 12:30. They were 2 males and a female. The female was regularly dropping F-Bombs and the C word (even after her male friends reminded her multiple times that there was a minor in the bubble and to tone it down a bit. That was the only, what I would say, uncool experience I had with the festival attendees this past weekend

twinplanx

Lift tickets were separate from Festival tickets - there was a package deal with festival and lift tickets available. A good amount of lift tickets and rental equipment were on the hill this weekend.

Per one of my ski patrol friends, who was over at my condo on Saturday evening before he was going back to the mountain to work the 9PM to 2AM festival shift (apparently Minus Zero brought there own medical staff who handled much of the needs onsite after staff brought anyone who needed medical attention to their makeshift clinic (in this case they used the Backside Snowboard shop in the main base lodge), there was 1 attendee on Friday night who needed Narcan. I haven't spoken with my friend after his Saturday shift and/or heard about the Sunday night session.

All in all, it didn't seem from what I saw (I didn't have tickets to the Festival, just skied Saturday and Sunday and was out shopping for dinner items along route 100 on Saturday PM about the time the Festival was starting for the evening) it wasn't the total Narcan fest that many had thought it would be. Sure, plenty of alcohol was consumed (both while skiing/riding and at the Festival from what I heard from my friends in food and beverage), plenty of smell of pot in the air, and plenty of people walking around the base area before the Festival started who looked quite "altered" ion the mental status.

Most of the attendees that I had interaction with were quite nice and mellow. The only 1 who really stood out in both mine and my wife's mind, was on Saturday, me, my wife and our 14 year old daughter got paired up on the Bluebird with 3 what looked to be mid 20's, obviously a bit hung over from the night before from what they were saying as they were making their first chair of the day at about 12:30. They were 2 males and a female. The female was regularly dropping F-Bombs and the C word (even after her male friends reminded her multiple times that there was a minor in the bubble and to tone it down a bit. That was the only, what I would say, uncool experience I had with the festival attendees this past weekend
Thanks Doc, I've been on AZ for a longtime and appreciate your incite. Figured the Narcan rumors were exaggerated... Sorry you had to share the chair with those tools. But it sounds like overall the pros outweigh the cons. Glad the weather cooperated and good skiing was available. Too bad not all the attendees could enjoy it responsibly. But those incidents seem isolated.

MommaBear

I'm glad the narcan info may have been exaggerated. I heard the info from an out of state trooper friend who happened to be in the lodge as two employees were discussing the events Sunday morning . I'm guessing the triage tent was the makeshift clinic Jeff mentioned set up at Backside.

KustyTheKlown

in general, the EDM scene is more of an uppers crowd than an H crowd, but in 2018 you never know.

KustyTheKlown

you haven't heard of zedds dead, odesza, and tipper?

there's a distinction between EDM and actual house/techno/other subgenres. EDM is sort of the mainstreamification of dance music, and those three artists listed above are major major players in that scene. I love house and techno, and cringe at "EDM" and all that is associated with it. drags a genre I love thru the mud.

odesza is actually pretty cool. but zed and tipper. nope nope nope.

I generally agree that my skiing side and my concerts/djs/party sides are completely separate. I am anti social and early to bed from November to april with very few exceptions.

Last edited:

drjeff

you haven't heard of zedds dead, odesza, and tipper?

there's a distinction between EDM and actual house/techno/other subgenres. EDM is sort of the mainstreamification of dance music, and those three artists listed above are major major players in that scene. I love house and techno, and cringe at "EDM" and all that is associated with it. drags a genre I love thru the mud.

odesza is actually pretty cool. but zed and tipper. nope nope nope.

I generally agree that my skiing side and my concerts/djs/party sides are completely separate. I am anti social and early to bed from November to april with very few exceptions.

Kusty, given your knowledge of the EDM scene, I was wondering if you could explain the meaning (if there actually is any!) of festival attendees wearing what amounted to adult size onsies with general theme's of unicorns, dragons, lions, tigers, etc, etc, etc?

Certainly made for some interesting people watching during the afternoon as the Festival attendees started showing up ahead of the opening performers each day I was there! Let alone the sight of driving along route 100 in the hour or so before the Festival gates opened on Saturday and Sunday and seeing groups of people, in their onsies, standing by the side of the road waiting for the area bus service to swing by and pick them up!

KustyTheKlown

Kusty, given your knowledge of the EDM scene, I was wondering if you could explain the meaning (if there actually is any!) of festival attendees wearing what amounted to adult size onsies with general theme's of unicorns, dragons, lions, tigers, etc, etc, etc?

Certainly made for some interesting people watching during the afternoon as the Festival attendees started showing up ahead of the opening performers each day I was there! Let alone the sight of driving along route 100 in the hour or so before the Festival gates opened on Saturday and Sunday and seeing groups of people, in their onsies, standing by the side of the road waiting for the area bus service to swing by and pick them up!

it means they are stupid attention whoring losers!

I can't stand the candy raver teenage EDM scene. that's what is tarnishing the good name of the stuff I do like, which tends to take place in the middle of the night in very respected clubs (output Brooklyn, fabric London, berghain berlin, etc) or in non-traditional spaces (warehouse parties etc). the EDM crap takes place in major venues with sponsorships from Heineken etc, and the people in attendance tend to be children who want to be seen and eat drugs, and who don't care very much or know very much about the music. when I go out to see a DJ, I am probably wearing a black t-shirt and jeans, not a giant chicken suit.

drjeff

I can't stand the candy raver teenage EDM scene. that's what is tarnishing the good name of the stuff I do like, which tends to take place in the middle of the night in very respected clubs (output Brooklyn, fabric London, berghain berlin, etc) or in non-traditional spaces (warehouse parties etc). the EDM crap takes place in major venues with sponsorships from Heineken etc, and the people in attendance tend to be children who want to be seen and eat drugs, and who don't care very much or know very much about the music. when I go out to see a DJ, I am probably wearing a black t-shirt and jeans, not a giant chicken suit.

Got it! Kind of figured it was more of the attention seeking crossed with wanting to fit in with the crowd crossed with the exuberance/ cluelessness of youth, and then add in a few drugs and/or adult beverages to arrive at the attire....

twinplanx

Lol Kusty, thats sort of my take on that whole scene. Bangin Techno is best in some old warehouse. Although I have often imagined filling some gloriously large spaces with a fantastic sound system. I am unfamiliar with any of these acts, but often listen to the Chill channel on Sirius. I try to judge the music on a personal level and pay less attention to the image or genre. If I like a song I will look further into the artist to find new music...for the aging raver lol