• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre 4-8-18 13" fresh

legalskier

This is April???
Belle got a dump of 13" on Friday and their website had pics of it yesterday so I made the trip up this morning. Arrived at Overlook at 10 with the temp at 24. Got a ticket and headed to Superchief. Cold temps and great conditions all day- it was like what Presidents Week normally is in a good year. As for April, these are the best conditions I can remember. But enough of me- I'll let the pics do the talking:

FullSizeRender(70).jpg

FullSizeRender(71).jpg
Onteora (lift 7 wasn't running which reduced traffic here, thus preserving the awesome conditions)

FullSizeRender(72).jpg
Winisook

FullSizeRender(74).jpg
Big T (old t-bar run)

FullSizeRender(73).jpg
Mohawk- around noon the snow squalls (which you can see off in the distance) rolled in and it flurried on and off for the rest of the afternoon. Temps never got out of the 20s- a roaring fire in Overlook's hearth and some hot cocoa helped warm me up at lunchtime. The only disappointment was that the glades and natural snow trails were officially closed (which didn't stop the poachers). Belle will be open tomorrow and Tuesday, then later in the week (or maybe the entire week- keep checking the website)- if you're looking for some terrific late season mid-winter conditions, better get while the gettin's good. Closing day appears to be next Sunday.

Edit: I forgot to mention- no lift lines.

Last edited:

Tdizz

Looks good. I'm thinking of dropping the $42 and hitting Belleayre tomorrow instead of Hunter. Weather says rain/snow showers. At least I can hide in that fancy gondola

LItoCOtoMA

I was there as well. Decided to make the trip from Boston as I have to be in Maryland this week for work. Made an 8 hr drive a 10 hr drive but I am not mad. Very worth it.

ROTD: Dreamcatcher glade which was “closed” but provided fresh turns through Sunday afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bandit2941

Sunday 4/8 was great, Saturday 4/7 was awesome! The 13" of fresh was a complete surprise! We got there around 8:30, on the mountain by 8:45 which is a bit late considering it was a powder day. But luckily there weren't many people there and I was able to get first run on some trails, and fresh lines all day long! The snow was piling up under my jacket and there were even some face shots to be had! Here are some pics:

tongora.jpg
Tongora Untouched
belleayre run.jpg
Belleayre run, my track through the bumps, not sure why it's sideways

The last few are shots my buddy took of me in the T-bar line. They came out great especially since they were taken on an iPhone!

IMG_8872.jpg
IMG_8882.jpg
IMG_8884.jpg

cdskier

Damn...impressive stuff! Big T rarely looks that good!

bdfreetuna

Considering it being April 7th I'd say that rivals the epic Platty and Magic days that were had this March.

Way to score. Wasn't even on my radar.

skimagic

Checked out Bellyare today, Monday. Light crowd, classic northeast conditions today. Mid mtn moguls softened nicely and were a blast. Up top , some scratch and scrape. Not much loose stuff around. Rode the gondi quite a few times but got sick of the flat run-out. Everyone I spoke to loves it though.

Maybe to improve trail flow, between tomohawk and ontero, tthe Overlook lodge can be a ski to only lodge? Would have to cover part or all of parking lot though. I'm thinking something like okemo's. Sugar house set up.

JimG.

Staff member
I was at Belle 4/8 and 4/9. Great snow especially for April in the Cats. Some pics from today:
Lower angle trees skied really well:
BA6.jpg
BA5.jpg
Bumps were everywhere and also skied fantastically:
Yahoo
BA4.jpg
Onteora had a ton of snow
BA3.jpg
BA2.jpg

JimG.

Staff member
I appreciate that Belle leaves bumps everywhere on a variety of steepnesses:
BA1.jpg

urungus

Great pics legalskier & Jim. Wish I had made it out to Belle this season while it was still on MaxPass.

Tdizz

IMG_2119.jpgIMG_2127.jpg hit belleayre today. Tbar run was the best trail all day. A little crust kept you on your toes but these conditions are amazing

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JimG.

Staff member
Too bad we won't get a follow up storm of say 18".

Regardless what a great March and April for the Cats.

powhunter

Thanks for the reports! Monday was pretty decent as well. As said the lower mountain moguls softened up nicely by mid day. Pretty much lapped them all day. Took a last run hike to hit cathedral brook. A little thin but piles of pow and fun!

SnowbirdDevotee

I'm not sure what to do for Saturday. I have lots of skiing experience but not too much in the spring. I could drive only 2.5 hrs and ski Belleayre with even the option of adding Plattekill in the afternoon. Both resorts I've never skied. Or I could drive further north and do either Kton or Gore. With this funny weekend weather it looks like the warm front is not going to make it north past the Catskills. So it'll be in the 40's north and high 50's low 60's in the Catskills. I skied last weekend on hard frozen snow and if there moguls at Camelback they would've been hard/frozen "no good". My question is - is mid 40's warm enough to soften the bumps up? Probably not because it'll be cloudy?? I don't want to drive an extra 2.5 hrs to ski hard death moguls.

powhunter

I'm not sure what to do for Saturday. I have lots of skiing experience but not too much in the spring. I could drive only 2.5 hrs and ski Belleayre with even the option of adding Plattekill in the afternoon. Both resorts I've never skied. Or I could drive further north and do either Kton or Gore. With this funny weekend weather it looks like the warm front is not going to make it north past the Catskills. So it'll be in the 40's north and high 50's low 60's in the Catskills. I skied last weekend on hard frozen snow and if there moguls at Camelback they would've been hard/frozen "no good". My question is - is mid 40's warm enough to soften the bumps up? Probably not because it'll be cloudy?? I don't want to drive an extra 2.5 hrs to ski hard death moguls.

Above freezing Friday night and 50s Saturday. Should be good at Bell