• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton Mountain - New Snow Bowl HSQ

ghughes20

The inversion today was wild. View attachment 24233

Great picture and a great day on the mountain. Very glad to see they didn't groom Spruce, Upper Standard, Bear Down. Soft bumps all day long. I just wish my legs were in mid-season form. Big crowds today too. i wonder if this is more related to the IKON pass, the great conditions, or both?

I heard some scuttlebutt on the mountain today that there may be a problem with the state which could push back opening of the lift.

Here's a few pictures.Fjo+SJspRXiCjObmoyt50g.jpg

uB0td5YLTTqqjN6U2oUe3w.jpg

Zermatt

Today was insanely good, honestly felt like Colorado. So many soft bumps, warm temps, bluebird skies (above the clouds). I have serious doubts that lift is going to open this season, if it doesn't get me in on the class action lawsuit.

WoodCore

I heard some scuttlebutt on the mountain today that there may be a problem with the state which could push back opening of the lift.

Here's a few pictures.View attachment 24235

No problems with the State, just some construction setbacks with the weather, a stump dump and a damn bird. Heard the splice is scheduled for Dec 15, should be good to go for XMAS week.

Last edited:

ghughes20

No problems with the State, just some construction setbacks with the weather, a stump dump and a damn bird. Heard the splice is scheduled for Dec 15, should be good to go for XMAS week.

That news is almost as good as the conditions today!!!

Handlebars

Where's next usually for Stratton? Also how'd the trees fair in the rain?

West side/snowbowl trails are next, except for liftline because of the ongoing lift construction. The extra intermediate terrain is sorely needed. They have the natural snow trails closed, and the troughs of the bumps in the trees were getting a little bony by end of day Saturday, so I assume that it’s going to take some significant new snow to re-cover obstacles. Im sure there are doable lines in there, but some well skied areas will be dicey at best.

Glenn

Where's next usually for Stratton? Also how'd the trees fair in the rain?

We sat out this weekend. Went up to VT Sunday in the rain....Monday didn't look all that great so we opted to work around the house and prep for winter.

Jully

West side/snowbowl trails are next, except for liftline because of the ongoing lift construction. The extra intermediate terrain is sorely needed. They have the natural snow trails closed, and the troughs of the bumps in the trees were getting a little bony by end of day Saturday, so I assume that it’s going to take some significant new snow to re-cover obstacles. Im sure there are doable lines in there, but some well skied areas will be dicey at best.

Helpful and pretty much what I expected (sadly). Thank-you!

We sat out this weekend. Went up to VT Sunday in the rain....Monday didn't look all that great so we opted to work around the house and prep for winter.

Probably a good call. The day after a rainstorm is rarely good lol.

WoodCore

Good day on the mountain today, a bit cold but plenty of available terrain. Snow Bowl lift is moving right along.......IMG_9432.jpgIMG_9438.jpgIMG_9446.jpgIMG_9449.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Newpylong

Yeah that's what happens when it's been below freezing since the beginning of November with several 8"+ storms

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Idk this seems like a ridiculously behind schedule project at this point. Like a month behind if not a little more.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

They thought they'd be ready the 15th...:lol:

Stratton already needs all the help it can get capacity-wise midwinter weekends. There was roughly 120 or so chairs on that lift iirc? 60 chairs going uphill full is 240 people that will now be funneled elsewhere on the mountain. Holiday is gonna be rough.

benski

They thought they'd be ready the 15th...:lol:

Stratton already needs all the help it can get capacity-wise midwinter weekends. There was roughly 120 or so chairs on that lift iirc? 60 chairs going uphill full is 240 people that will now be funneled elsewhere on the mountain. Holiday is gonna be rough.

probably over 480, since there will be fewer people on the slope, and then there are the people who would have been in line for the lift.

Glenn

b55a145677509911962b71ba3904ecbe.jpg

Took this Saturday. If you look closely, you can see one of the workers in the top terminal.

Skiing was good. Scratchy on the steeps. They were blowing a lot of snow over on Sunbowl; you could hear it when skiing Upper Middlebrook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zermatt

They weren't working on the lift today.

First few runs were great this morning but got skied off very quick. Gondola running slow due to wind, a-hole snowboarders being a-hole snowboarders as usual.

Super nice skier helped my son who fell on a steep section on pure ice. I was hiking back up but he got him up and coached him through the tough turns.

Glenn

I wish I took a picture a few weeks back. They had a really cool military tractor (truck) hooked up to a flatbed in Lot 2. Imagine that was used in some phase of the project.

billo, glad someone stopped to help your son.

sull1102

They weren't working on the lift today.

First few runs were great this morning but got skied off very quick. Gondola running slow due to wind, a-hole snowboarders being a-hole snowboarders as usual.

Super nice skier helped my son who fell on a steep section on pure ice. I was hiking back up but he got him up and coached him through the tough turns.
Jackass skier being a jackass skier right here... You realize that little ski racer kids are as bad usually way worse than boarders doing their little tuck and straight line everything routine. What a jackass comment by you honestly.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app