• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton Mountain - New Snow Bowl HSQ

ShadyGrove

The Snow Bowl quad is considerably shorter than the Black chair but with a new haul rope and if the profile works with the # of towers and their height it may work. Poma overspecs their motors so the increased rise and length likely not an issue.

Now that would be a great addition.

Can you verify the length of each chair? I was under the impression that the Snow Bowl chair has a vertical rise of 1,380' and the Black is 1,399'. Maybe the install length is considerably different?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
The speculation in this thread is nauseating....

Stranger things have happened but I doubt Magic is getting a Quad chair or pieces from it. They want to work on the snowmaking pond and get green running this offseason, correct? How does Stratton's Snowbowl lift going to Magic help either of those projects?

Smellytele

Stranger things have happened but I doubt Magic is getting a Quad chair or pieces from it. They want to work on the snowmaking pond and get green running this offseason, correct? How does Stratton's Snowbowl lift going to Magic help either of those projects?

They could buy it but not install it until next off season. The Black just seems like a money pit. If they could get it at a great price then just maybe. I have know other areas that have bought used lifts and didn't install them for 2 or 3 years.

WoodCore

Can you verify the length of each chair? I was under the impression that the Snow Bowl chair has a vertical rise of 1,380' and the Black is 1,399'. Maybe the install length is considerably different?

Using google earth, here’s what I come up with for lengths and vertical for each lift

Black:
4585 Linear Distance
4797 Ground Length
1403 Vertical

Snowbowl:
4597 Linear Distance
4798 Ground Length
1375 Vertical

Skilifts.org has the Snowbowl line length listed as 4,639 feet long.

sull1102

Those numbers are awfully close to each other, only noticeable difference is the 28ft vert difference.

Newpylong

Yes and the ground length on Google Earth for our chair vs the real length differs by a large margin - but in this case I was wrong - I went back into VT Tramway filings and they are far closer than I thought. Well within the room of error of moving the terminals up or down to compensate. I like the speculation, though it is just that!

NYDB

I'd prepay 2 years seasons passes at Magic to get that lift installed. I think a reliable redundant summit lift is so much more important than green.

Anyway, how much would stratton want for the Remnants of the SB chair? anyone have any idea what the resale value is on lifts? just interested really. I used to work in contollers office at ASC back in the day but don't remember any figures, not they would be relevant now anyway

mriceyman

I'd prepay 2 years seasons passes at Magic to get that lift installed. I think a reliable redundant summit lift is so much more important than green.

Anyway, how much would stratton want for the Remnants of the SB chair? anyone have any idea what the resale value is on lifts? just interested really. I used to work in contollers office at ASC back in the day but don't remember any figures, not they would be relevant now anyway

But the green was being put in figuring the black was good to go after the work done to it. Now that the black chair is basically down they wont just shelf the green chair.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

Regardless of what anyone pays for a lift, you still have to install it. No fire sale discount on that. And given the terrain involved, a helicopter is a must. In other similar situations I have heard rumor numbers of around $1mm as the "all in cost" for a new, old lift - bought and installed. From what JM said recently, the total off season budget is $1mm, which I believe includes installing Green, fixing Black, the pond remediation (and I am sure other needs that we are not aware of). So not much budget room even if you buy it at a fire sale price and store it. I also doubt this is the last chair that comes up for sale over the next couple of years, even in the neighborhood........

sull1102

Could be this summer(hoping), but in the next couple years the Sunbrook Quad is getting replaced by a high speed quad so that will be another chance to get a not too old or used quad chair.

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

The one thing yet to be mentioned in this now great speculation thread, is possibly the most obvious one, and that is that KSL could recycle it to one of their other resorts....

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

The one thing yet to be mentioned in this now great speculation thread, is possibly the most obvious one, and that is that KSL could recycle it to one of their other resorts....

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Stowe has no use for it. Toll House? That's gotta be a high speed lift. Lookout and Mountain lifts are adequate, imo.

spiderpig

Nauseating!

ss20

:dunce::thumbup: