• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton Mountain - New Snow Bowl HSQ

NYDB

They hint about a new trails in their blog: https://blog.stratton.com/2018/08/snowbowl/

I think the new trail is the old surface lift line in between Lower Slalom glade and lower liftline. Don't know why they don't open the trail I was talking about. Maybe some protected habitat there or something.

Speading the increased traffic around should be a big priority.

x10003q

Yes, a new cut through to U. Wanderer. Tree clearing and mitigation zones can be seen in the application documents. Biggest change will be the exit of Snow Bowl Alley being redirected towards U. Spruce. Here's a link to the tree removal and mitigation plan.

https://anrweb.vt.gov/PubDocs/ANR/P...ents/013 Tree Removal and Mitigation Plan.pdf

View attachment 24033

I wonder why they used a map with so many old lifts still visible. This map has Kidderbrook, Grizzly, North American and possibly Standard and Betwixt doubles out of the base area.

slatham

I wonder why they used a map with so many old lifts still visible. This map has Kidderbrook, Grizzly, North American and possibly Standard and Betwixt doubles out of the base area.

I wonder if they need to show past lifts over some time period for the ACT 250 process?

The Sneak

They are turning the old T-Bar line into a trail (favored by locals on a powder day), since the new chair will be fast enough to service racers on World Cup.

That’s a good move; fun trail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghughes20

They had a naming contest on social media to name the new trail. They provided ten names as suggested by the public for voting (Poma Line, Bear Claw, etc). As one might expect, the leader the last time results were posted was ....... "Traily McTrail Face".

They were supposed to go from 10 down to 3, and perform a final vote. I wonder if they got cold feet with regards to public input.

(Full disclosure: I voted for "Traily McTrail Face")

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
They had a naming contest on social media to name the new trail. They provided ten names as suggested by the public for voting (Poma Line, Bear Claw, etc). As one might expect, the leader the last time results were posted was ....... "Traily McTrail Face".

They were supposed to go from 10 down to 3, and perform a final vote. I wonder if they got cold feet with regards to public input.

(Full disclosure: I voted for "Traily McTrail Face")

That's so stupid...which is obviously why it's winning. I hope in 50 years when/if society finally leaves this phase of "let's just do the stupidest thing possible because it's funny" thing dies people will be like "what the hell were they thinking?"

mriceyman

That's so stupid...which is obviously why it's winning. I hope in 50 years when/if society finally leaves this phase of "let's just do the stupidest thing possible because it's funny" thing dies people will be like "what the hell were they thinking?"

Its either gona be that or the world will be even more screwed up than it is now

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
From Stratton FB a few days ago...

Just before the first snow fell on Stratton Mountain on Saturday, crews had poured the last of the concrete, finishing up with the lower terminal and towers one through three. The summit has been seeded and mulched and is ready for a crane to drop the top terminal and the lift shack is ready to be framed. The next milestone in the new Snow Bowl lift project will be the early-November fly in for all the towers with the load test tentatively scheduled for December 15.

F that stupid bird.

The 15th is a Saturday. Sure crowds aren't particularly heavy yet that time of year but unless they blow into the Sunbowl the only lifts running could be the Gondi, Amex, Ursa, Shooting Star, South America, and Tamarack...if there's good early season snow and the masses come early that could be pretty rough.

Glenn

That really delayed the process. They were idle for quite some time. It's gotta be pretty cold right now for the crew to be working on the hill.

Hoping they have a date when the towers will be flown in. That would be cool to see.

NYDB

From Stratton FB a few days ago...

F that stupid bird.

The 15th is a Saturday. Sure crowds aren't particularly heavy yet that time of year but unless they blow into the Sunbowl the only lifts running could be the Gondi, Amex, Ursa, Shooting Star, South America, and Tamarack...if there's good early season snow and the masses come early that could be pretty rough.

They are having the winter wondergrass that weekend so they are probably expecting decent crowds. And sunbowl is usually a christmas thing at best.

Last edited:

sull1102

Sounds worse than it actually is. Marketing team should have been careful with the wording, but then again we are the 1% of Stratton skiers that might actually give a damn about it, the rest just want their village and the gondi spinning. They should have phrased it as "ready for the Snow Bowl's traditional mid-December opening."

drjeff

I'm guessing that as long as the new lift is spinning by Christmas week, that the admins at Stratton will be happy with things.

Arguably, the reality is those likely to be most affected by this time frame are the athlete's on Stratton's and Stratton Mountain School's mogul team who will be training on World Cup once they open it and now will have to either find a different site or do full top to bottom laps once they get Worldcup open

An inconvenience for the early season Stratton skiers and riders once they get that side open? Yup. Not the end of the world though

WoodCore

I have no doubts that the new Snow Bowl Express will be ready when it's needed.

sull1102

It's sad how little Stratton goes after the early season. I almost wish Peak had bought Stratton over Snow a decade ago. It's got a bit more elevation, a bit farther north but still in the snow belt. All good things if you imagine all those fan guns with this aggressive mentality, that'd be great.

icecoast1

It's sad how little Stratton goes after the early season. I almost wish Peak had bought Stratton over Snow a decade ago. It's got a bit more elevation, a bit farther north but still in the snow belt. All good things if you imagine all those fan guns with this aggressive mentality, that'd be great.

Up until last year, I dont remember Mount Snow being all that aggressive or them opening much earlier than Stratton. I think the new aggressiveness has more to do with showing off the new snowmaking system than anything else. Theres no guarantee Stratton would be run any different in this dream scenario

Newpylong

Stratton has the same snowmaking capacity as Mount Snow (water and air). Once they hit the switch they open up quick. Mount Snow has been hampered by lack of water for so long, so their upgrade made more of a difference and is marketed more.

slatham

Has the Snowbowl lift ever really been needed prior to Christmas? During a normal year, how much of the terrain in that area gets open via snowmaking before Christmas? Not much is my guess.

icecoast1

Has the Snowbowl lift ever really been needed prior to Christmas? During a normal year, how much of the terrain in that area gets open via snowmaking before Christmas? Not much is my guess.

Their early season snowmaking plans usually revolve around amex and ursa lifts but who knows that could change with the new lift. They could probably easily have enough open to run it if they really wanted to