• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton Mountain - New Snow Bowl HSQ

NYDB

Has the Snowbowl lift ever really been needed prior to Christmas? During a normal year, how much of the terrain in that area gets open via snowmaking before Christmas? Not much is my guess.

meadows, drifter and spruce and upper slalom glade are usually all part of their 'earlyish' push. They concentrate on the ursa blue/blacks first for thanksgiving but after that those are usually next up.

They never ran the lift until the holidays though.

Last edited:

Glenn

Agree with what many have said; the lift will most likely run when needed which tends to be more towards the holiday periods. However, it will be interesting to see if this runs more often now that it's a highspeed lift vs. the old fixed grip.

x10003q

I think the new HSQ will run more than the FGQ. Besides taking pressure off the Ursa HS6, it will take pressure off the Gondola. The new HSQ will really smooth out the areas of the Stratton that are currently crowded. I could see Stratton not opening the Shooting Star HS6 on less crowded days as the Ursa will be less crowded when the new HSQ is running. That will be the new money saving lift for Stratton.

spiderpig

I think the new HSQ will run more than the FGQ. Besides taking pressure off the Ursa HS6, it will take pressure off the Gondola. The new HSQ will really smooth out the areas of the Stratton that are currently crowded. I could see Stratton not opening the Shooting Star HS6 on less crowded days as the Ursa will be less crowded when the new HSQ is running. That will be the new money saving lift for Stratton.

The Shooting Star remains one of the dumbest lifts in history. Should have used that budget on the Snow Bowl originally.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Our just replaced Kidderbrook with the SS6. Lot of great trees that side of the hill. It sucks to have to take the long run out down to the Sunbowl base after skiing them.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Glenn

Our just replaced Kidderbrook with the SS6. Lot of great trees that side of the hill. It sucks to have to take the long run out down to the Sunbowl base after skiing them.

That run out beyond the old Kidderbrook lift is tough. And during busy times, you have a wait at Sunbowl.

x10003q

You are correct, they cheaped out by not replacing Kidderbrook with a high speed 4/6.

They effed up badly when they installed the Shooting Star. The Kidderbrook FGQ was still running, so that confused the decision. They could have simply extended Shooting Star at least to the bottom of Freefall (down Churchhill Downs) so most of the Kidderbrook pod could be skied with one lift ride.

As you said, that run out to the Sun Bowl is a disaster and even worse with little kids.:thumbdown:

KustyTheKlown

From Stratton FB a few days ago...

F that stupid bird.

The 15th is a Saturday. Sure crowds aren't particularly heavy yet that time of year but unless they blow into the Sunbowl the only lifts running could be the Gondi, Amex, Ursa, Shooting Star, South America, and Tamarack...if there's good early season snow and the masses come early that could be pretty rough.

that weekend is also winter wondergrass (jambandy bluegrass festival at stratton). not sure how much that will impact on mountain crowding. i intend to use my ikon at stratton at least that saturday, and am working on a music industry friend for some free vip passes for the sat evening shows. gf will dig it, she likes twang.

WoodCore

According to the new trail map the poma line is called "Dino's Drop".

drjeff

According to the new trail map the poma line is called "Dino's Drop".

Which i'm guessing is the name that came in a distant 2nd on their social media "name the new trail" blitz they did a few months ago where it appeared courtesy of some fun spirited trolling by the marketing department at Mount Snow that the name "Traily Mc Trailface" was the run away most popular suggestion! :razz:

ShadyGrove

Which i'm guessing is the name that came in a distant 2nd on their social media "name the new trail" blitz they did a few months ago where it appeared courtesy of some fun spirited trolling by the marketing department at Mount Snow that the name "Traily Mc Trailface" was the run away most popular suggestion! :razz:

Please, oh please, tell me this is true.

drjeff

Please, oh please, tell me this is true.

100% true!

When Stratton put their "help us name the new trail where the Poma line used to be" post up on their social media feeds, I want to say it was sometime in August, Mount Snow put up on their social media feeds what Stratton was doing and suggested that their followers respond with the name "Traily Mc Trailface" which I am presuming is a direct take on what happened when the British Government opened up to the public a poll about what to name their new Polar Research Vessel, and I believe it was a British TV host suggested as a joke that it should be named Boaty Mcboatface. That name won by a large margin, but the Royal Navy who will operate the vessel chose a more traditional name

ghughes20

100% true!

When Stratton put their "help us name the new trail where the Poma line used to be" post up on their social media feeds, I want to say it was sometime in August, Mount Snow put up on their social media feeds what Stratton was doing and suggested that their followers respond with the name "Traily Mc Trailface" which I am presuming is a direct take on what happened when the British Government opened up to the public a poll about what to name their new Polar Research Vessel, and I believe it was a British TV host suggested as a joke that it should be named Boaty Mcboatface. That name won by a large margin, but the Royal Navy who will operate the vessel chose a more traditional name

I ski at Stratton and don't follow Mt. Snow social media. I voted for Traily Mc Trailface. Disappointed they completely disregarded the will of the people. I ski this season in protest!!!

skifree

I ski at Stratton and don't follow Mt. Snow social media. I voted for Traily Mc Trailface. Disappointed they completely disregarded the will of the people. I ski this season in protest!!!

arm bands?

ghughes20

arm bands?

Absolutely, and not the kind that also holds my new IKON ski pass.

Actually, speaking of the IKON pass, has anyone received theirs in the mail yet? I see some of the IKON mountains are now open, but I still haven't received my pass.

Jully

Actually, speaking of the IKON pass, has anyone received theirs in the mail yet? I see some of the IKON mountains are now open, but I still haven't received my pass.

They're coming out in spurts. I received mine in early September, my girlfriend got hers in early October.

machski

A friend of mine just got his yesterday, we are still waiting for ours. You don't need the pass to ski yet, just present a driver's license at resort and they can issue a day pass and deduct from your Ikon (if required). K's RFID system still isn't compatible with Ikon RFID so you have to swing buy guest service anyway for a K One card for now.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

WJenness

Mine came in the mail almost two weeks ago now.

Need to go use it. Haven't had an opportunity yet, unfortunately.

Glenn

Our regular non Ikon passes came last week...or the week before? Oddly, no hole punched out for the yo-yo.