• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton Mountain - New Snow Bowl HSQ

ghughes20

The guns are back up again today. Looks windy. I think most of the snow is landing on Mt. Snow. They could open this weekend if they wanted to.

Glenn

Impressive amount of snow is being made right now Looks like many trails on the main face are lit up with guns. Quite a sight on their mid mountain cam.

tumbler

Impressive amount of snow is being made right now Looks like many trails on the main face are lit up with guns. Quite a sight on their mid mountain cam.

Wow, that is impressive.

crazy

Very impressive. I kind of wish they would open this weekend, but I'm sure that if we wait a week they will have an impressive portfolio of trails open for opening weekend.

Anyone want to bet that Stratton will be even more mobbed this season thanks to the Ikon Pass?

NYDB

I might take that bet. They killed the college and under 30 pass and that might end up making it a wash. Either way, any regular Saturday there was already pandemonium basically. And if the wind kicks up and halts the gondola, it turns from just ordinary chaos to cats and dogs living together. New snow bowl lift might help that a bit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I might take that bet. They killed the college and under 30 pass and that might end up making it a wash. Either way, any regular Saturday there was already pandemonium basically. And if the wind kicks up and halts the gondola, it turns from just ordinary chaos to cats and dogs living together. New snow bowl lift might help that a bit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using AlpineZone mobile app

I really don't have a problem with Stratton with midweek. Trees can be off-the-charts good when there's snow. There's nothing extreme that's a clear-cut trail but there are some tricky spots in the woods.

But weekends...it's really the only major mountain I've skied where there is NOWHERE to hide from the masses either on-trail or on-lift(lines).

Glenn

Still going strong! Wow! They must have some serious capacity in that system. And odd they're fairly quiet about it.

For us, you have to know how to work the mountain. We typically ski on Sundays. We get to the mountain late morning, get out for a few runs, then people start going in for an early lunch; we keep skiing. By the time lunch is over, some people head home. We generally avoid Saturdays there if possible.

ghughes20

Guns are on again. Starting to look like overkill. I'm sure they could get enough snow on Upper Standard by opening day - if they wanted to. Could be the best November Skiing in VT in years.

drjeff

Guns are on again. Starting to look like overkill. I'm sure they could get enough snow on Upper Standard by opening day - if they wanted to. Could be the best November Skiing in VT in years.
From personal experience this weekend, it's some of the best November skiing I can remember in the 20+ years I've had a Southern VT mtn as my home hill less than 10 miles as the bird flies South of Stratton!!

With the power of the Stratton Snowmaking system and the temps they've had since they first fired it up, plus the help from mother nature and the forecast this week, their 1st snow report later this week is going to have a SIZEABLE trail count number for sure!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Glenn

Temps will be dropping right into the end of the week. They should have a good amount of trails open by the time Wednesday rolls around. That should help lighten the load on Black Bear...can be a bit crowded early season!

Glenn

Wondering when that pic was taken. It's been pretty snowy up there the last few days.

I called the mountain yesterday regarding the passes. They recommended bringing passes to the season pass window to get punched. I guess passes weren't punched from the printer to prevent jamming or expedite things. They mentioned we could punch them ourselves, but didn't want anyone to risk damaging the radio. That may be specific to the Ikon passes?

machski

Wondering when that pic was taken. It's been pretty snowy up there the last few days.

I called the mountain yesterday regarding the passes. They recommended bringing passes to the season pass window to get punched. I guess passes weren't punched from the printer to prevent jamming or expedite things. They mentioned we could punch them ourselves, but didn't want anyone to risk damaging the radio. That may be specific to the Ikon passes?
No, that is the same with any RFID pass. You can punch a hole, but if not done in the correct spot, it kills the radio.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

ghughes20

I grabbed the picture from their website. It was attached to an article dated 11/15, so obviously the snap is older then that. They've probably had close to a foot so snow over the last 5 days. It was snowing today.

Madroch

So- I often ski Black Friday at Stratton go lap ursa and get my ski legs- usually minimal crowd. This year have to go sat instead- how busy should I expect it to be? I never ski Stratton except early season and it usually isn’t bad- it I’ve heard winter weekends can be crazy. Thanks for any responses. Worst case- I’ll go to snow instead - where it will be crowded but you have some work around room.