• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton Mountain - New Snow Bowl HSQ

WoodCore

Hoping to be back up next weekend but just in case made some laps down the nice last pitch of the "Snow Bowl Alley" trail on Saturday. The configuration of the base station and chair storage rail on the new HSQ will radically alter the look and flow of this area for sure!

IMG_8857.jpg

IMG_8863.jpg

If your interested the plans for the new lift can be viewed here..... https://anrweb.vt.gov/ANR/vtANR/Act250SearchResults.aspx?Num=2W0519-29

Ohh!! BTW, Did hear another very interesting rumor today about the Old Snow Bowl Quad........

benski

In the act 250 applications there is a document called bottom terminal 3D model with a picture of a 90 dopplemeyr with background. Is it going to go used? No other new lifts in there so that's got to be it for Stratton for this year.

Glenn

Interesting documents. Looks like they may do some regrading up top to access Mike's Way from the new lift?

Also, tax generation documents have some predicted skier visit numbers based on the new lift.

My wife and I rode the Snow Bowl lifts a few weeks ago when it was open for the last time.

ghughes20

I also rode the Sun Bowl lift two weeks ago, but as of yesterday, it looks very much closed down forever. I'm excited to ride the new lift next season.

The rumor I heard about the old lift is that they're selling the chairs to Magic. (The previous rumor was that they were going to move the lift replace the Tamarack lift, which doesn't make sense as that lift is never crowded and doesn't need the extra capacity.)

slatham

I also rode the Sun Bowl lift two weeks ago, but as of yesterday, it looks very much closed down forever. I'm excited to ride the new lift next season.

The rumor I heard about the old lift is that they're selling the chairs to Magic. (The previous rumor was that they were going to move the lift replace the Tamarack lift, which doesn't make sense as that lift is never crowded and doesn't need the extra capacity.)

What is Magic going to do with Quad chairs??

ghughes20

That I can't answer, just the rumor I heard. Having never been to Magic, I assume based on your comment their lifts are only doubles. They'd need more than just Sun Bowl Chairs!!!

WoodCore

Magic may be after more than just the chairs...... The Snowbowl chair is almost exactly the same length as a certain troubled summit lift, just saying.

icecoast1

One question I have is will this lift run weekdays as well or just weekends and holidays like the old lift? It's going to be nice to ski/ride that side of the mountain without having to go back to main base and take 2 lifts or the gondola back up... hopefully the midweek people get to use it as well

Newpylong

The Snow Bowl quad is considerably shorter than the Black chair but with a new haul rope and if the profile works with the # of towers and their height it may work. Poma overspecs their motors so the increased rise and length likely not an issue.

Now that would be a great addition.

Last edited:

icecoast1

They could buy the qaud chairs and only load it as a triple or double like they do with the black chair

NYDB

One question I have is will this lift run weekdays as well or just weekends and holidays like the old lift? It's going to be nice to ski/ride that side of the mountain without having to go back to main base and take 2 lifts or the gondola back up... hopefully the midweek people get to use it as well

I agree. They need to make a commitment to run it on an ursa schedule. Take gondola offline midweek / slow periods.

In addition, move shooting star to the old kidderbrook liftline (a popular move on the forum) and you'd have a great lift layout.

machski

The Snow Bowl quad is considerably shorter than the Black chair but with a new haul rope and if the profile works with the # of towers and their height it may work. Poma overspecs their motors so the increased rise and length likely not an issue.

Now that would be a great addition.
Magic could also space the chairs at double the normal interval to get the same capacity but with a quad chair. That would also help any motor power issue with the greater rise. Fun to speculate what ifs.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Pez

maybe the whole thing could be moved? If stratton was smart they'd let it go for a cut rate price.