• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton Mountain - New Snow Bowl HSQ

ghughes20

So- I often ski Black Friday at Stratton go lap ursa and get my ski legs- usually minimal crowd. This year have to go sat instead- how busy should I expect it to be? I never ski Stratton except early season and it usually isn’t bad- it I’ve heard winter weekends can be crazy. Thanks for any responses. Worst case- I’ll go to snow instead - where it will be crowded but you have some work around room.

Typically the Saturday after Thanksgiving isn't too crowded at the lifts. The traffic on the trails is all dependent on how many runs they have open. This Saturday will be hard to predict since the conditions are expected to be great for this time of year and they should have a lot of runs open. Could bring big crowds.

Mid winter weekends, the lift lines can be nuts. Not sure Mt. Snow is much better. The only trails at Stratton that I find uncomfortably crowded are Black Bear and some of the greens. I tend to stick to the blacks when the crowds are up.

icecoast1

So- I often ski Black Friday at Stratton go lap ursa and get my ski legs- usually minimal crowd. This year have to go sat instead- how busy should I expect it to be? I never ski Stratton except early season and it usually isn’t bad- it I’ve heard winter weekends can be crazy. Thanks for any responses. Worst case- I’ll go to snow instead - where it will be crowded but you have some work around room.

Really depends on what's open. If theres enough open to spread people out it can be manageable, which it looks like is going to be the case.

Madroch

Thanks! Appreciate the prompt response. May roll the dice and hit Stratton as I just skies snow last weekend. Usually strattton and okemo are light years ahead of snow at this point but snow has been aggressive. All that might be irrelevant if it keeps snowing. How is Stratton’s rope drop policy- sugarbushesque- meaning if it is slightly more snow than rock it is open- or more conservative like no rocks to open?

ghughes20

Thanks! Appreciate the prompt response. May roll the dice and hit Stratton as I just skies snow last weekend. Usually strattton and okemo are light years ahead of snow at this point but snow has been aggressive. All that might be irrelevant if it keeps snowing. How is Stratton’s rope drop policy- sugarbushesque- meaning if it is slightly more snow than rock it is open- or more conservative like no rocks to open?

Stratton is conservative, in my opinion. If it's open, it will have good cover. The trees are different. They can be sketchy early - or if it hasn't snowed in a while.

Glenn

We were going to venture out tomorrow...but looks like Friday and Saturday instead.

WoodCore

Great day on the hill today! Crew was busy working on the top terminal. IMG_9402.jpgIMG_9398.jpgIMG_9394.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Glenn

We were there Saturday. Comfy temps, decent crowds and good conditions. I agree with the above; some trails could have been wider if the whales were groomed out a bit more. Things really cleared out around lunch and Amex was pretty much ski on. Gondi lines were short all morning, but it looked like it was stopping quite a bit and for a few minutes each time.

Nice pic of the top terminal! We didn't venture up the gondola yesterday.

ghughes20

Stratton got 15" today and more coming.

Vermont ski resorts are gonna save a lot of $$ on snow making this year. Let's hope it stays cold.

Last edited:

drjeff

To put things time wise this lift construction season a bit into perspective, Green Mountain Control Systems, who handles the bulk of the electrical work for most lifts, both new and old, in the East, just posted this afternoon that the 1st new installation of the season in the East to pass load testing and receive certification happened today, at West Mountain in New York.

That lift is a new Skytrac Quad that is maybe 2000 feet long replacing and OLD double. Killington is saying that the Snowdon Bubble 6 should be up and operational on Monday. Guessing that Stratton all along has targeted the week or so before Christmas for their desired opening for the new Quad. It has been far from an "easy" lift construction season courtesy of Mother Nature

sull1102

Wow that's great. I do not see any glades officially open on the trail map, are the glades "officially" closed? Or are these unofficial glades, ex. trees between cut trails?
Down here at Snow glades are officially open this morning I'm willing to bet same at Stratton. We've gotten almost two feet

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

NYDB

Wow that's great. I do not see any glades officially open on the trail map, are the glades "officially" closed? Or are these unofficial glades, ex. trees between cut trails?

Strattons official policy is that the glades are always open and are ski/ride at you own risk. I was in a few on opening day and the coverage was fine. After another couple of feet I would imagine they are sweet

Zand

To put things time wise this lift construction season a bit into perspective, Green Mountain Control Systems, who handles the bulk of the electrical work for most lifts, both new and old, in the East, just posted this afternoon that the 1st new installation of the season in the East to pass load testing and receive certification happened today, at West Mountain in New York.

That lift is a new Skytrac Quad that is maybe 2000 feet long replacing and OLD double. Killington is saying that the Snowdon Bubble 6 should be up and operational on Monday. Guessing that Stratton all along has targeted the week or so before Christmas for their desired opening for the new Quad. It has been far from an "easy" lift construction season courtesy of Mother Nature

After going to Berkshire East last year, the world does NOT need more skytrac quads lol.