• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton Mountain - New Snow Bowl HSQ

ghughes20

So about that lift...

Geez, if you don't like the place, just go somewhere else? There's a rear end for every seat...and a mountain for every ski...

Looks like Sun Bowl will be open this weekend. They're blowing snow today, and with all the natural snow, they shouldn't have to blow too much. That should help dissipate the crowds ahead of the new lift. That said, if the new lift isn't turning by XMAS, the holiday lift lines are going to be insane. Good snow + IKON Pass = BIG CROWDS!!!

Glenn

Looks like Sun Bowl will be open this weekend. They're blowing snow today, and with all the natural snow, they shouldn't have to blow too much. That should help dissipate the crowds ahead of the new lift. That said, if the new lift isn't turning by XMAS, the holiday lift lines are going to be insane. Good snow + IKON Pass = BIG CROWDS!!!

That's why my wife and I by the passes with blackout dates. Holidays are busy in SoVT!

Early opening for Sunbowl! That really helps spread people out around the mountain.

skitheeast45

I was talking with some people at Stratton and the new target opening date is the week/weekend before MLK. The lift itself should be finished around Christmas but they need two weeks or so for tests and state approval.

Glenn

The snow report indicates they've been working on the communication line the last few days. They've had to close some trails near the new lift while the work takes place.

sull1102

I was talking with some people at Stratton and the new target opening date is the week/weekend before MLK. The lift itself should be finished around Christmas but they need two weeks or so for tests and state approval.
Man that is a really bad install. How do you fall a month behind schedule and miss a vacation period. I know we got snow early and all, but still.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Man that is a really bad install. How do you fall a month behind schedule and miss a vacation period. I know we got snow early and all, but still.

Again, if you think this is bad, you need to check out the delays on the BW gondola install. Interestingly, both are Dopp builds (as is Wyndham's new lift). The 2 new L-P's in the east (K open, Hunter) are either open or mostly on track. Very surprising to see Dopp so far behind on all their projects in the east.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

mriceyman

Again, if you think this is bad, you need to check out the delays on the BW gondola install. Interestingly, both are Dopp builds (as is Wyndham's new lift). The 2 new L-P's in the east (K open, Hunter) are either open or mostly on track. Very surprising to see Dopp so far behind on all their projects in the east.

That is interesting.. both companies had same obstacles to work with:.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Keelhauled

L-P kinda botched Copper's installs, one of them still isn't open yet. Seems like it's been a rougher year than normal for both manufacturers.

sull1102

Not really a good excuse though. BW is putting that gondi in for weddings and year round use so not really needed for winter. Stratton's Snow Bowl is very important to the skiing product especially by Christmas vacation.

skitheeast45

So the originally target weekend was this one (December 15). They are attributing 2-3 weeks of delays as a result of underestimating the time needed to build while avoiding whatever bird’s nesting period over the summer (they stopped construction for like two months) and the last 1-2 weeks is because of all the snow they have had.

slatham

I think the Monday morning chairlift install quarterbacks do not fully appreciate the hostility of the weather at 2,500-4,000 feet since late OCTOBER. Way colder and snowier than normal, and every subsequent delay took them further and further into cold and snow. So far this year they have had FIVE FEET of snow, and most of that is still on the ground. Not exactly to plan, chair lift install wise......

machski

Not really a good excuse though. BW is putting that gondi in for weddings and year round use so not really needed for winter. Stratton's Snow Bowl is very important to the skiing product especially by Christmas vacation.

However, given the swath of terrain affected by the construction, extremely important to the skiing product.

NYDB

Omg i cant wait to hear about this shitshow from afar the next couple of weeks. 95% of stratton visitors have no idea that complete and utter chaos will be rained up them this upcoming xmas week. I might drive up just to stand by guest services to hear the bitching.

Sent from my SM-G960U using AlpineZone mobile app

Glenn

Snow is tough on construction. I was involved with a building project at work a number of years ago. You don't need much snow to throw a wrench in the gears. Even with good equipment, it takes hours to clear a site of snow before any work can start. Daylight is in short supply this time of year as well.

sull1102

I think the Monday morning chairlift install quarterbacks do not fully appreciate the hostility of the weather at 2,500-4,000 feet since late OCTOBER. Way colder and snowier than normal, and every subsequent delay took them further and further into cold and snow. So far this year they have had FIVE FEET of snow, and most of that is still on the ground. Not exactly to plan, chair lift install wise......
Lol, only been living in it myself in Southern Vermont working outside I think I might know a thing or two about it.

heiusa

I work in construction on Long Island, and even if there is no snow, working with tools and hardware in the cold sucks, your hands get frozen, and its hard using gloves in certain situations. In other words the productivity drops, then if you add in snow/ice it really slows down.