Stranded overnight on Gore chairlift - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec142 View Post
    Gore has a huge corporation behind it that has pissed people off...it's called The State of New York.
    Amen. Whiteface would be such an absolute gem if it was run by competent human beings.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by SkiFanE View Post
    This was not the worst ski movie, but the worst movie ever. Watched DVD, fell asleep and there were 3 people on lift, woke up and there were only 2. Missed the coyote scene - and then I think we stopped movie.
    Wolves.

And you missed one of the greatest movies of all time! A love triangle, man versus the elements, extreme sports. It's got it all!

It's an apt metaphor for Hermitage. Who bails early? Will they eaten by wolves? Who stays on the chair through the dark, cold night of restructuring? Will they get a free hot cocoa when it's all said and done?

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Over/Under on this being an elaborate hoax?

I'm going to be a bit objective and set the opening line at E.
    I thought the same thing when I saw the article. I checked that it wasnt April 1st then I didnt want to post it here for fear of falling for a prank.

My guess is he climbed a tower and was able ot get into a chair.

But you get to see that girl pee her pants, so that's something!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Wow. How does that happen? I'm sure most areas have shutdown procedures. And patrol usually sweeps the hills after last chair. Granted, he could have been above an area that wasn't near a trail.
    When I was a patroller, the patrol WAS the last chair.
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

When I was a liftie, patrol was the last chair and we would have the bottom op call the top op with the number of the last chair. Lift ops at bottom also close off the line and make sure no one gets on after the last patroller.
    form is a 4 letter word

Climb up in the morning through the woods just before the lifts open. Carefully leave only ski tracks off the unloading ramp. When lift starts wait a few minutes. Ski down and claim you been stuck on the chair lift all night. Refuse medical care that might prove your body temperature is too warm and you could not have been stuck on the chair lift all night. Easy pay day.

Option B camp out with friend at the top with sleeping bags and ski down when lift starts. Later friend skis down with sleeping bags when nobody is watching.

Quote Originally Posted by catskills View Post
    Climb up in the morning through the woods just before the lifts open. Carefully leave only ski tracks off the unloading ramp. When lift starts wait a few minutes. Ski down and claim you been stuck on the chair lift all night. Refuse medical care that might prove your body temperature is too warm and you could not have been stuck on the chair lift all night. Easy pay day.

Option B camp out with friend at the top with sleeping bags and ski down when lift starts. Later friend skis down with sleeping bags when nobody is watching.
    Out here in Jackson lifties have to spend the night at the top of the Tram, Thunder, the Gondola and I think AV. I believe its more of a get the lift running type of thing but would prevent this type of fraud if someone was dumb enough to try.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Given how inexpensive video technology is these days, it would be cheap for mountains to install an HD camera at the top of each lift, and record "final chair" arrival as verification/proof and part of the daily closing checklist.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Out here in Jackson lifties have to spend the night at the top of the Tram, Thunder, the Gondola and I think AV. I believe its more of a get the lift running type of thing but would prevent this type of fraud if someone was dumb enough to try.
    Wait, sleep there? That seems crazy just to get the lift running a little easier in the morning!

Thread Information