The Rules

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rules

The Rules

Thinking about this lately, especially after this weekend, when I missed a good 3 hours of pow at K.
    Nothing special, just some basic rules I live by which over the years ...actually work.
    1. Be there early. Why...you get a good parking spot, you don't deal with the lodge shitshow..you get the POW before its all banged up. I actually get anxiety showing up late and parking in Oshkosh, the crowded lodge, etc. When I went to MRG a few weeks ago I was the first one there and it was great. Got the "coveted " parking spot and got to walk around, in peace..very tranquil.

2. If you say you will be somewhere at a certain time..be there or let me know. I'm probably waiting for you, outside if its the lift. I would prefer to not stand there for a half hour. Shit happens, I can take a run, or 2 , or 3 ..whatever.

3. Don't be a fusspot...whats a fusspot you ask..well. You forget your gloves, your helmet, your skis..whatever. You take forever getting ready, screw with boot buckles all the time. You know..get your shit together and ski.

4. Don't complain the whole day about conditions. There are many ways to figure out before hand what is going on and how it will be. It rained the night before, then went down to 10 degrees...don't bring the twin tips. it snowed..its a POW day..don't bring the ice skis. It sux..but were here..better than being..THERE, where THERE else may be. Who knows ..it might get better..it might get worse..beer is available..we'll live.

5. Meeting up with people..your late..don't spend the whole day trying to find them..they're skiing, not waiting for your text. Your the odd man out. Maybe you'll meet at lunch. Worse case, you miss them the whole day and find them..at the end. They're wiped..you started late..you keep going..whatever.

There more but these are the basics.
    Thoughts???

Lets go!
    I'll drive.

Rule 1 applies most of the year but in the spring there is no reason to get there early. The parking lots don't fill up and the skiing sucks until the sun has had a chance to work it's magic.

My rule #1 = Don't invite me to anything on the weekend between Thanksgiving and end of April at the earliest.

Quote Originally Posted by skiur View Post
    Rule 1 applies most of the year but in the spring there is no reason to get there early. The parking lots don't fill up and the skiing sucks until the sun has had a chance to work it's magic.
    +1
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Quote Originally Posted by Killingtime View Post
    My rule #1 = Don't invite me to anything on the weekend between Thanksgiving and end of April at the earliest.
    What if it involves skiing?
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Quote Originally Posted by skiur View Post
    I beg to differ this spring.The last few weekends we have had new snow and its been the best early on.No real softening because of winter like temps.Last weekend at Cannon got worse as it got skied.But in general you are correct.
    SIKSKIER

I can't stand trying to meet up with people on the hill.

Either go out with me in the morning or meet at such and such time at this lift or lodge (+/- 5 min window) planned before hand.

trying to meet out on the hill and trying to communicate via texting is a pain. Especially in mid winter conditions.

And +1 on rule 1. Get there early. Luckily my kids are little and they still get up at 6am every day. I don't know how its going to go when they are teenagers sleeping in.

6. Cut others some slack if they lack the same scrupulous attention to following your preferred rules of thumb.

I take it your wife is still in the doghouse over Saturday?

As for the teenagers, we ended up doing two cars.

My rule now is not to ski with people who make rules about having fun.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Thread Information