• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Rules

AdironRider

I do the opposite. I dont use overhead luggage & wait for "final boarding call" to get on the plane, intentionally getting on last. I have no use for standing in a 10 minute long jetway line waiting for people to fight to get into their seats, stuff bags into the overhead etc...

I also dont stand up IMMEDIATELY when the unbuckle seatbelt light comes on, as I have no use for standing in a 6 minute line (moving nowhere) inside a plane. Why people do this I have no clue. It's intriguing to me in the illogical nature of it all, but it happens on every flight.

Basically several years of business travel hardened me into having zero tolerance for people who only fly once or twice a year. GTHOOMW.

As Sugarbush they only have receivers on one-side of the gate.

At 6'3", the less time I spend crammed into an airline seat the better, so I'd personally rather stand in that scenario.

Hawk

working on that for my family... hopefully < 2 years, Concord/Hopkinton/Henniker relocation
That is a good location. Lots of good real estate at a reasonable price and it give you a better launching pad to a bunch of ski areas. You commute to ski will get much better.

SkiFanE

At 6'3", the less time I spend crammed into an airline seat the better, so I'd personally rather stand in that scenario.

I have Restless Leg Syndrome. Pity the people near me. I can stay within my own space - but can't stop being a fidget. Nor can I get a wink of sleep - red eye or not. I was a Platinum business traveler at one point in my life - so it's not because I'm recreational flying joey :) (thankfully pre 9/11 when I sometimes could have D.C.-10 middle row to myself - I don't do well packed like a sardine lol). Rarely go to movies - drives me nuts to sit that long unless it's the most amazing movie ever.

SkiFanE

Need the overhead for my boots..they never get checked..thus i try to get on the plane as early as possible..
. The BS about overhead compartments is funny. I have never ever ever had to put underneath. For business I can get 4 days of clothes in a half size carry on - always space for those. I pack light because luggage pickup is hell on earth.

kingslug

Air canada made me check my carryon..said it wss too big..bs..ive used it for 10 years and never had a problem..then watched tons of people try to cram much larger luggage up there..WTF
We had seriouse issues with air canada on the Revi trip..all 45 of us..bit of a shit show
New rule..ship skis if flying AC...they lost a lot of luggage..got it back but major anxiety ..lose the Wagners and im fucked..

Scruffy

I do the opposite. I dont use overhead luggage & wait for "final boarding call" to get on the plane, intentionally getting on last. I have no use for standing in a 10 minute long jetway line waiting for people to fight to get into their seats, stuff bags into the overhead etc...

I also dont stand up IMMEDIATELY when the unbuckle seatbelt light comes on, as I have no use for standing in a 6 minute line (moving nowhere) inside a plane. Why people do this I have no clue. It's intriguing to me in the illogical nature of it all, but it happens on every flight.

And you should thank them for acting differently. If everyone waited to get on/off the plane as you do, then you'd be in line with them, just delayed.

jaytrem

New rule..ship skis if flying AC...they lost a lot of luggage..got it back but major anxiety ..lose the Wagners and im fucked..

They completely destroyed one of sister's ski bindings. Got crushed in something I guess. But I think I've done 5 round trips with them, never had a problem. They got all my stuff to Prince George, that was a 3 plane trip with short layovers, was impressed with that.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I can dig most of these rules. Especially the ones about showing up on time and having your Sh*t together. I do early ups at Sugarbush so I park in the front row, put my boots on at the car and I am on the lift at 7:30. No mess, no lines and always awesome quiet runs with no other People.

My biggest hang up is with the millennial crowd that absolutely must use texting as communication. If you are late or are planning on meeting up with someone use the phone! That way you can have a communication of where you are, what the plan is, where and when you will meet and a back up plan if all else fails. I have never effectively communicated by texting to meet up with people.

At Gore I've only got one bar, and I can't make a call. But I can text.

kingslug

Talk about rules...now that Stowe is owned by Vail theres signs all over saying..No snowballs..and..police in the lodge for all the closing days rowdy behavior. A local says this is a first and no alcohol at the octogon at the top. Welcome..to Vail.

Dick Gazinya

Talk about rules...now that Stowe is owned by Vail theres signs all over saying..No snowballs..and..police in the lodge for all the closing days rowdy behavior. A local says this is a first and no alcohol at the octogon at the top. Welcome..to Vail.

I can only speak for myself but to me, Vail isn't welcome on the east coast. Glad I was able to get up to Stowe last year before the acquisition.

kingslug

I didnt think they would have a negative effect..but you can see the change..plus the locals are not happy. Guess well see next season where it goes.

benski

The opposite of universities. They make it quite clear absolutely know alcohol, when your looking, then hint its okay at orientation, then you notice the University busses run at 3am to bring 19 year olds from the bars to the campus.

Teleskier

That came up in multiple conversations too... each time attributed as being 'necessary' for the first time due to the increased NYC/NJ presence this year. Let's hope their efforts work before we lose another mountain like we lost Kmart due to similar demographics and behavior.