• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Rules

abc

I see no real advantage of RFID, except potentially eliminating ticket checkers.

But that, is not an advantage for us skiers.

Nor do I detect any drawbacks either. So I have zero preference on that.

caribchakita

Website
www.bonairecaribbean.com
Rules:

Up at 6
Find a legit coffee roaster nearby
Score a scone and head up
Park up front
Set up camp
First tracks are nice or within 15 minutes of first chair
Break at 10/11
On the mountain lunchtime, to avoid the masses
Out at 3

No other rules other than, have fun, stop and gaze, feel the breeze and smile a lot

Edd

As a weekday skier, I’m pretty flexible on rules and tend to go with the flow of who I’m skiing with. If it’s a powder day I get a bit more pushy. Spring is so great because there’s little rush to get to the hill.

I like RFID. I don’t know how many brands of RFID gate tech there are, but I’ve noticed this season that Okemo, Sunapee, and Gunstock all use the same Axios gates. They work better than others I’ve seen. My only issue is that they close a bit fast. Sometimes you have to pole on an uphill grade through them and the closing gate wacks my ski pole every time.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

mrvpilgrim

It has been mentioned several times that one benefit of RFID is eliminating eliminating ticket checkers. In my experience the last several years at Sugarbush these are positions the mountain has had great difficulty filling anyway. I can recall numerous busy weekends finding employees from Admin, Guest services, and other departments in the lift lines filling in as ticket scanners.

cdskier

It has been mentioned several times that one benefit of RFID is eliminating eliminating ticket checkers. In my experience the last several years at Sugarbush these are positions the mountain has had great difficulty filling anyway. I can recall numerous busy weekends finding employees from Admin, Guest services, and other departments in the lift lines filling in as ticket scanners.

Right about that. Plus there are still ticket checkers anyway even with RFID. Instead of holding guns and scanning, they now hold a tablet and look for discrepancies (and also help people that get stuck at the gates). So they may have a few less people, but it isn't the huge elimination of positions that people make it out to be.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

Less ticket checkers and hopefully less people manning the ticket window. It's crazy how short-staffed all the mountains are. It's one of the negative effects of all these cheap passes. It used to be you'd have great people who ski/board looking to work part-time a couple days a week in an unskilled position to get the free pass. Now that passes to mountains are dirt cheap it's not worth doing that, and cheap, local labor that wanted to see their mountain succeed dried up.

Smellytele

Less ticket checkers and hopefully less people manning the ticket window. It's crazy how short-staffed all the mountains are. It's one of the negative effects of all these cheap passes. It used to be you'd have great people who ski/board looking to work part-time a couple days a week in an unskilled position to get the free pass. Now that passes to mountains are dirt cheap it's not worth doing that, and cheap, local labor that wanted to see their mountain succeed dried up.

Hard to find help when the jobs pay shit.

Jully

Hard to find help when the jobs pay shit.

And when there are plenty of other jobs available that don't. Similar minimum wage style jobs at other places that are not ski resorts now no long pay the bare minimum wage, but the resorts are still offering crap.

Hawk

I can dig most of these rules. Especially the ones about showing up on time and having your Sh*t together. I do early ups at Sugarbush so I park in the front row, put my boots on at the car and I am on the lift at 7:30. No mess, no lines and always awesome quiet runs with no other People.

My biggest hang up is with the millennial crowd that absolutely must use texting as communication. If you are late or are planning on meeting up with someone use the phone! That way you can have a communication of where you are, what the plan is, where and when you will meet and a back up plan if all else fails. I have never effectively communicated by texting to meet up with people.