• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skier speed trap hell

abc

Former , crime was never solved. He went for a pizza and was confronted outside his house and didn't comply with the assailants demand and went in his house and faced the person through the screen door and was shot. If he had a concealed carry he would have had a chance?

Latter , the 2 men kicked her door in ....took a minute or two in the process. She could have had a chance as well .

This thread could go down a rat hole ...so I wont post other examples. Lots of emotion on both sides....Peace
I’m with scruffy. I wouldn’t live in a neighborhood where someone can so easily follow me home after a “confrontation”.

skiur

I’m with scruffy. I wouldn’t live in a neighborhood where someone can so easily follow me home after a “confrontation”.

Well then don't live in NYC or Boston or any other city or it's surrounding suberbs.

ironhippy

Former , crime was never solved. He went for a pizza and was confronted outside his house and didn't comply with the assailants demand and went in his house and faced the person through the screen door and was shot. If he had a concealed carry he would have had a chance?

Latter , the 2 men kicked her door in ....took a minute or two in the process. She could have had a chance as well .

This thread could go down a rat hole ...so I wont post other examples. Lots of emotion on both sides....Peace

But in order for those people to have a "chance" they would have to be able to literally shoot someone with the intention of killing them.

I know everyone likes to say "I'll kill anyone who wants to hurt my family" but are you REALLY willing to do that especially when you aren't sure of what the outcome will be?

I have been in high pressure situations (not self defense) and have reacted the way I hoped I would, however when it comes to taking someone else's life, I don't think I could do it without some serious thought in which case it would be too late even if I had a gun pointing at the other person.

Luckily, based on where I live and everything else, I have a much better chance of winning the lottery (even if I don't play) than I do being involved in a life or death struggle with another human, so I don't even think about it unless I'm replying to a thread like this.

abc

Not sure how we've gone from a transportation discussion to firearms. There is literally zero parallel. Guess that means it's summer.
I was the guilty party who started the drift. My apology.

My point was neither cars nor guns are a NEED. In some situation, they become a "need" due to outside factors not within our control. (lack of efficient transport, high crime). But in many cases, that outside situation isn't really there, or have changed long ago. But people have been conditioned to the perceived "need" they automatically assume it's always true.

In many cases, people are rationalizing their WANT. Many of the "justification" offered up illustrate that line of thinking.

We see a lot of that when it comes to rationalizing ski quivers too. Just to bring it back on topic... ;)

BenedictGomez

When seconds count, how many can get to your gun?

You seem to be doing backflips to justify your decision to be unarmed. That's fine, it's your choice.

To answer your question, if you hear a breakin in your home, there's no reason to not be able to get to your weapon in "seconds" if you have it competently stored and have a plan in place. Ten seconds verus ten minutes (police) is a rather hefty difference in a survival situation.

You don’t seem to read too well... I was at most 7, may be 6.

I read very well.

What "you dont seem to" grasp, is the concept of firearms safety, which must start well before a child is 6 or 7 if guns are present in the home.

Well then don't live in NYC or Boston or any other city or it's surrounding suberbs.

Or pretty much anywhere where you dont own at least 5 acres.

Hawk

I'm 50 and my wife and I are going to take a course in gun safety at the local gun club as part of the process of getting a license to carry a pistol or simply put, a pistol permit. The process in my town is pretty strict as the local police chief is anti civilian gun rights. I have fired all kinds of weapons at my friends place in Maine and have shown to have a good eye. I have never owned a gun but I find myself wanting to exercise my right while I still can. We also watch the news and see what is going on. There have been some home invasions recently in my town. The other determining factor is we have no kids. That is pretty much the final reason we feel strongly about safely owning a gun at this time. I can see the dilemma of having firearms with young ones around. I am not sure we would do this if we did. But one thing is for sure. If someone breaks in, by the time they make it up to the 2nd Floor to the bedroom, I will be ready.

Scruffy

Wow, the fear and paranoia in this country is off the charts. No wonder we're so polarized. How do you people live with so much fear. The FUD machine has done it's job. Meanwhile, I sleep like a baby with my door unlocked. Thieves don't usually bust into occupied homes, unless they're high as kite.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Wow, the fear and paranoia in this country is off the charts. No wonder we're so polarized. How do you people live with so much fear. The FUD machine has done it's job. Meanwhile, I sleep like a baby with my door unlocked. Thieves don't usually bust into occupied homes, unless they're high as kite.

Yea?
http://www.wagc.com/11-year-old-girl-shoots-2-home-intruders-montana/

If it happens to someone ,people you know it's not paranoia. With the 24/7 news cable thing sensationalizing every bad thing I can see
how hysteria can spread . I do agree with your point though . So I shut off my TV 99.999% of the time.

spiderpig

Not sure I get the point here, if you live "in" a city, you also dont depend on a commuter train either, because you already woke up in the destination. So those people may not depend on cars (unless you count Taxis), but they also dont depend on trains (unless you count subways).

A lot of over-the-top anti-train posts here. You may not depend on the train, but you benefit from people using it because they don't have to take their private cars into town. Interestingly, though maybe not since it's a skiing forum, no discussion here on public transportation being necessary for lower income workers to move around, especially from far suburbs into the city.

NJTRANSIT loses money too, but it has a net positive economic benefit. Conversely, there's no rational defense to many (most) Amtrak lines in America due to the low benefit from these lines. They just flat-out lose money with little economic benefit in return.

That said, my guess is NJTRANSIT could be very profitable were it not run by the government.

Yeah, it would be profitable. With government subsidies.

The people in this thread advocating for the spending of billions of dollars on new trains & tracks, reminds me of people investing in car phones a few years before the smartphone.

Well, I do agree with this if self-driving (electric) cars are going to be considered public transportation. And the Amtrak long-haul routes are garbage and still would be with more frequent or reliable service. Maybe better when they can run the trains without crew.

But back to speed traps. They're stupid.

mbedle

BenedictGomez

I'm 50 and my wife and I are going to take a course in gun safety at the local gun club as part of the process of getting a license to carry a pistol or simply put, a pistol permit.

NRA classes are another option to explore if you want to compare. NRA instructors are very dedicated and often ex-military with great training. The classes are cheap as profit isnt the goal, and they really focus on safety

http://www.nrainstructors.org/search.aspx

The process in my town is pretty strict as the local police chief is anti civilian gun rights. I have fired all kinds of weapons at my friends place in Maine and have shown to have a good eye. I have never owned a gun but I find myself wanting to exercise my right while I still can.

Try before you buy if you can. A good range usually will rent a variety of pistols to try for a very minimal fee.

BenedictGomez

Wow, the fear and paranoia in this country is off the charts. No wonder we're so polarized. How do you people live with so much fear. T

Why do you believe gun ownership = fear?

I've never heard this idea expressed before, and it seems a rather illogical belief.

Meanwhile the violent crime rate in the US is the lowest it's been in over 40 years!

I think it's more than that actually.