• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skier speed trap hell

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Hate to break it to you, but that story is made up.

Ok my bad for the fake news. Point is there are a lot of home invasions. This channel is video proof https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsE_m2z1NrvF2ImeNWh84mw/videos
Pretty good critique of situations .
I don't live in abject fear,not sure how that applies?
Many people learn Karate and Martial arts they don't live in abject fear .

Crime stats ....Trust them NOT!

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article201887629.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkSIzTpFLL0

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Why do you believe gun ownership = fear?

I've never heard this idea expressed before, and it seems a rather illogical belief.

I think it's more than that actually.
If your only interest in owning a firearm is for hunting or you enjoy target shooting, you might have a point. But, you have said you care about self defense and imply that you own a gun in part for those reasons. You don't get to that point without some fear that someone or thing might do physical harm to you.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Scruffy

If your only interest in owning a firearm is for hunting or you enjoy target shooting, you might have a point. But, you have said you care about self defense and imply that you own a gun in part for those reasons. You don't get to that point without some fear that someone or thing might do physical harm to you.

^^ Exactly.

Your posts up thread talked about living in Pleasantville and still needing gun for self defense. I asked you why, and you replied "Reality". Others have eluded to crime and needing a gun for self defense.

I own a few guns. I use to hunt, may take it up again when I retire. I shoot a couple of woodchucks a year that invade my garden. I have zero need for one for self defense. I have zero fear someone is going to break into my house while I'm in it and attack me or my family.

I realize not every person lives the same life or the life they dream of, or can always control, but I can only tell you that if I lived in a place where I thought it would be a good idea to own a gun for self defense, if I was afraid someone would break into my house while I'm in it, I'd find a way to move and start a new life where I felt safe; there are still plenty of places in the good ol' USA where home invasion/assault with a deadly weapon are not everyday concerns.

Last edited:

abc

But one thing is for sure. If someone breaks in, by the time they make it up to the 2nd Floor to the bedroom, I will be ready.
I get that you're assuming you'll store the gun in the bedroom. Do you have a basement? What if you're in the basement when the break-in happens? Or do you plan to have another gun stored there too?

The one and only one POSSIBLE break-in attempt I've heard of from people I personally know, happens around 8pm. Dad was watching TV in the rec room in basement while junior was at the main floor. He heard someone fiddling with the front door. The family and their neighbors and friends don't use the front door. Everyone knows to walk around to use the back door. So he knew it's a stranger, not a neighbor or friends. He ran downstairs to tell Dad there's a stranger at the door. Dad went back upstairs (pass the front door) to get the gun from the bedroom. Then decided he'll go out the backdoor and around to the front. But found no one there. Apparently, the person who's fiddling with the front door were gone.

As most of the houses look more or less the same, their thought was its a someone visiting another house down the street and stopped at the wrong house. I'm incline to agree with that thought. I once went into their neighbor's house, through the back door, before realizing I was at the wrong house!

BenedictGomez

you have said you care about self defense and imply that you own a gun in part for those reasons. You don't get to that point without some fear that someone or thing might do physical harm to you.

Fear ≠ Preparedness

There are many things I'm "prepared for" that I dont have a constant fear of. I put snow tires on my car each winter, but I wouldn't "fear" getting into an accident if I didn't; however, that doesn't mean it isn't wise to use snow tires anyway.

there are still plenty of places in the good ol' USA where home invasion/assault with a deadly weapon are not everyday concerns.

You keep going back to this, are you saying there are places where robbery and crime doesn't exist? Could you rattle off 4 or 5 since there are "plenty" of these places?

If 6 is too late, what age do you start? 5? Or 4? How about 3? :-o

Age 4 or 5 depending on the child. The age of 7 is way too late.

skiur

Do I think I will ever need a gun for self defense? Probably not. But if it ever comes to that I am quite happy that I live in a country that guarantees me the right to protect myself.

Scruffy

Fear ≠ Preparedness

There are many things I'm "prepared for" that I dont have a constant fear of. I put snow tires on my car each winter, but I wouldn't "fear" getting into an accident if I didn't; however, that doesn't mean it isn't wise to use snow tires anyway.

It is fear, whether you choose to recognize it or not, that you are preparing against (fear for a possible future event). Fear is the only basic human emotion that fits the bill here. Concern or worry, for example ( I'm concerned/worried that someone might break in to my house and attack me ) is not a basic human emotion, they are amalgam emotions in which fear is a component. Humans are the only known species to be able to project themselves into future situations. Negative, or fearful situations are undesirable, and therefore are what we prepare ourselves against. Fear of sliding off the road and crashing our car pushes people to prepare, via snow tires, against a future event that may or may not happen. I wish more drivers had that fear.

You keep going back to this, are you saying there are places where robbery and crime doesn't exist? Could you rattle off 4 or 5 since there are "plenty" of these places?

We're talking violent crimes here. I'm sure you're not going to cap someone for stealing a garden gnome off your lawn.
And yes, there are many places where crime is near zero, you should be able to find them with a little sleuthing.

Here's a list took me 2 seconds to find: https://www.safewise.com/safest-cities-america
Many North east places on there, some in Jersey as well. And that list doesn't even begin to cover the many rural places in between, all over the North East and even close to skiing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
What stands out about that list is two of the cities experienced some of the most notorious violent crimes of the past 20 years. Newton with Sandy Hook and Chesire, CT with the brutal home invasion, rape and murder of a doctor's wife and daughters. Knowing the latter can occur anywhere doesn't change my desire to own a firearm. The statistics just don't support the choice. The chances of an accident happening and killing a child by a gun in the house is on the order of hundreds of times greater than random invasion murders.

abc

Age 4 or 5 depending on the child. The age of 7 is way too late.
I could have easily done that at 4 or 5, but for the lack of motivation (my cousin coming to visit). I dissembled a lock about 4 or 5 according to my parents. (didn't have the skill to put it back together). Many parents underestimate their kids' ability in some area.

"robbery and crime doesn't exist"? Who suggest that?

I know a few where robbery and crime are so low you have a chance of getting hit by passing cars than by robbers:

Suburban: Redwood Shore, CA; Los Gatos, CA
Rural: Sherman, CT; Somers, NY; Rocky Point, NY

All towns and villages I've lived at one point or another.

The Sneak

I love cars AND would prefer to commute by bicycle. If my commute allowed for it, I totally would. However, it’s 30 miles each way over 3 bridges and not feasible.

But yeah, I daydream about a commute that would let me justify (albeit flimsily) a Lynskey Backroad or similar for commuting purposes.

And of course, a late 80s 911 for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimG.

Staff member
I love cars AND would prefer to commute by bicycle. If my commute allowed for it, I totally would. However, it’s 30 miles each way over 3 bridges and not feasible.

But yeah, I daydream about a commute that would let me justify (albeit flimsily) a Lynskey Backroad or similar for commuting purposes.

And of course, a late 80s 911 for fun.

+1

The thought of sitting in a box that transfers me from place to place with zero interaction from me is scary and offensive. We are (becoming) a society of do nothings and complainers. I will not live that way.

And the idea that people will use the time spent sitting in a box to lead a renaissance of deep thought and innovative ideas makes me laugh. People will use that time to drink, do drugs or jerk off.

I think I'm glad I'll probably be dead before any of that comes to pass.

abc

The thought of sitting in a box that transfers me from place to place with zero interaction from me is scary and offensive.

But Jim, that "box" is already zipping around all over. It's call a bus, or a train, or a plane!

Do yo really wish you're dead before those were invented?

Jully

What stands out about that list is two of the cities experienced some of the most notorious violent crimes of the past 20 years. Newton with Sandy Hook and Chesire, CT with the brutal home invasion, rape and murder of a doctor's wife and daughters. Knowing the latter can occur anywhere doesn't change my desire to own a firearm. The statistics just don't support the choice. The chances of an accident happening and killing a child by a gun in the house is on the order of hundreds of times greater than random invasion murders.

This. Like others have said, it is a choice. Either one carries risk. No where is perfectly safe, and owning a gun comes with a real accident risk. No civilian "needs" a gun for self defense in America, that would imply you couldn't live without it. Literally millions of Americans live without it their whole lives. It can be justified in my opinion though, further so by responsible gun owners like BG / his parents were in teaching gun safety at a very young age which will reduce the accident chance. Teaching your 6 year old kid about him safety is a tough choice for parents though. Makes telling them santa isn't real a whole lot easier I bet haha.

Also, fear 100% motivates me to put snows on my car every winter. Fear I'll crash or get stuck on the way to an epic powder day (basically 100% serious).

Jully

But Jim, that "box" is already zipping around all over. It's call a bus, or a train, or a plane!

First thing I thought he was talking about was commuting via public transit.

deadheadskier

Staff member
+1

The thought of sitting in a box that transfers me from place to place with zero interaction from me is scary and offensive. We are (becoming) a society of do nothings and complainers. I will not live that way.

And the idea that people will use the time spent sitting in a box to lead a renaissance of deep thought and innovative ideas makes me laugh. People will use that time to drink, do drugs or jerk off.

I'm sorry Jim, but that's simply not true in my case. I spend on average 20 hours a week driving; probably closer to 25. As an example, it's 6.5 hours to Ft Kent, Maine from where I live. I have a fair amount of business up there. My job requires a tremendous amount of time doing market research, writing proposals and negotiating via email in addition to the phone, which I try and limit even while using Bluetooth behind the wheel. I could be doing all of that while enroute to my customers with a fully autonomous vehicle. Instead much of that work gets pushed into the evenings and weekends. It would add an enormous amount of free time to my life that I could devote more of to my family, skiing etc.

And I'm someone who truly loves driving. I don't even care for automatic transmissions, so wanting full auto is all about improved work efficiency and productivity for me.

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member

I use none. My post was poorly written and was referring back to the autonomous car part of this ever changing thread.

But yes, I do not use trains, planes, or buses. I like my car controlled by me.

JimG.

Staff member
I'm sorry Jim, but that's simply not true in my case. I spend on average 20 hours a week driving; probably closer to 25. As an example, it's 6.5 hours to Ft Kent, Maine from where I live. I have a fair amount of business up there. My job requires a tremendous amount of time doing market research, writing proposals and negotiating via email in addition to the phone, which I try and limit even while using Bluetooth behind the wheel. I could be doing all of that while enroute to my customers with a fully autonomous vehicle. Instead much of that work gets pushed into the evenings and weekends. It would add an enormous amount of free time to my life that I could devote more of to my family, skiing etc.

And I'm someone who truly loves driving. I don't even care for automatic transmissions, so wanting full auto is all about improved work efficiency and productivity for me.

I don't want to live like that and am lucky I don't have to.

I see your point, and I congratulate you on your earnest work and family ethic. Most people are not like you.

For me, the only autonomous driving I'm looking for is my hearse ride to the cemetery.