• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skier speed trap hell

JimG.

Staff member
All this talk of Corvettes being the best performance for the money, LoL... No. Unbelievable performance for the many absolutely, right up there, but just a small step below the real boys. I mean even the new Camaro ZL1 comes real close on track but just cannot handle as tight. Hell a Hellcat or Demon is more interesting overall, just be very careful cause it wants to kill you. The real competitors would be a BMW M4 and M2 competition packs. They handle significantly better than anything GM can manage and the interior/tech is all far superior as well. Of course BMW comes with it's own stereotypes, but hey the Vettes sure do cover up for something small as well!

I'd have to do research and test drive to determine which car has the best performance for the money. But that is not my main concern.

Again, I'm not a fan of European cars in general. Many seem to think that euro cars have better build quality but I think they are way overpriced and outrageously expensive to maintain. Friends of mine who own euro cars often complain about service issues, especially after 100,000 miles. BMW may make a sports car that has advantages over a Corvette but quite frankly BMW styling reminds me of a shoebox and that's not what I'm looking for. I would say the same for Mopars. I've owned one Chrysler product in my life and it was the biggest sh*tbox ever. Got rid of it after 3 years and many service issues. None of those models you mentioned come anywhere close to the styling of the Corvette.

If I were to look overseas for a sports car I would look to Japan over anything from Europe.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Just to confirm for everyone, Mount Tabor's finest was out in full force aka all of one with his Charger. Was there in the way up to K and then again heading home in the afternoon in the exact same spot so much so I kind of wondered if he had moved at all in the 7-8 hours that had passed.

All this talk of Corvettes being the best performance for the money, LoL... No. Unbelievable performance for the many absolutely, right up there, but just a small step below the real boys. I mean even the new Camaro ZL1 comes real close on track but just cannot handle as tight. Hell a Hellcat or Demon is more interesting overall, just be very careful cause it wants to kill you. The real competitors would be a BMW M4 and M2 competition packs. They handle significantly better than anything GM can manage and the interior/tech is all far superior as well. Of course BMW comes with it's own stereotypes, but hey the Vettes sure do cover up for something small as well!

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app
The Vette smokes the M series in just about all driving performance categories.

This article breaks it down well.

https://www.asburyauto.com/compare/2018-chevrolet-corvette-vs-2017-bmw-m4/141890

Sure, the European interiors are nice, but if driving performance is what you are after, the Vette is the better choice. And I agree with Jim on exterior styling being better as well.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

Not familiar with that. What app follows that plane?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

AdironRider

The Vette smokes the M series in just about all driving performance categories.

This article breaks it down well.

https://www.asburyauto.com/compare/2018-chevrolet-corvette-vs-2017-bmw-m4/141890

Sure, the European interiors are nice, but if driving performance is what you are after, the Vette is the better choice. And I agree with Jim on exterior styling being better as well.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

The new vettes are pretty slick these days. I think the comparison to the M cars from BMW though aren't the best. M cars are usually more street oriented (and very good at it) VS a pure performance per dollar exclamation point like the Vette. You can't realistically daily a Vette, you can pretty much any of the BMW M cars.

I think the sweet spot on the Vettes is the Grand Sport mid range. Plenty of power, all the suspension goodies of the Z06.

The ZO6's have always been supercar killers, but you need the chops to take advantage of it. That aspect of the Vette hasn't changed (at the ZO6 level). Put the average driver in a M4, then put them in the Vette Z06, and I'd wager they will be faster around a track in the BMW. Sure the Vette is quicker when driven by a pro, the average dude, not so much.

Shifting gears (see what I did there), I think one of the reason's Top Gear was so successful is they didn't just go by numbers on a page. The Vette on paper is a world beater, but in practice is much more difficult to access that performance. The Top Gear guys seemed to ignore the statistics and go off driving feel and impression, which is ultimately what matters.

2Planker

Own both a manual Z06 and an M4. Vette is faster in a straight line BUT that is where it ends. BMW M4 is a far better car to drive. WAY MORE FUN !!! Shifts are super smooth and it handles like it's on rails. Wifey drives the Vette now....

The new vettes are pretty slick these days. I think the comparison to the M cars from BMW though aren't the best. M cars are usually more street oriented (and very good at it) VS a pure performance per dollar exclamation point like the Vette. You can't realistically daily a Vette, you can pretty much any of the BMW M cars.

I think the sweet spot on the Vettes is the Grand Sport mid range. Plenty of power, all the suspension goodies of the Z06.

The ZO6's have always been supercar killers, but you need the chops to take advantage of it. That aspect of the Vette hasn't changed (at the ZO6 level). Put the average driver in a M4, then put them in the Vette Z06, and I'd wager they will be faster around a track in the BMW. Sure the Vette is quicker when driven by a pro, the average dude, not so much.

Shifting gears (see what I did there), I think one of the reason's Top Gear was so successful is they didn't just go by numbers on a page. The Vette on paper is a world beater, but in practice is much more difficult to access that performance. The Top Gear guys seemed to ignore the statistics and go off driving feel and impression, which is ultimately what matters.