Skier speed trap hell

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Skier speed trap hell

Police in Bridgewater, on VT Route 4, issued over 2,300 tickets last year. Oh, and the 25 mph school zone doesn’t even have a school.

http://www.wcax.com/content/news/Ver...480793251.html

Right outside Woodstock, 12:25 AM, heading to K'Ton, foggy night, $185 ticket for 35 in 25 zone. I disputed it because radar equipment is flawed in fog. No luck

https://www.speedtrap.org/vermont/woodstock/

Arguably the most well known, and frequently with a police car stationed speed trap in all of New England ski country....

I've learned to set the cruise at 24 when going through there...
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

There's also another "speed trap town" on route 100, on the way from Okemo to killington, right at 100A in Plymouth.

Basically unless you come from the north, there's a "speed trap town" no matter how you get to K.

Overall both of these speed trap towns are dumb. If people traveled the speed limit in Vermont, you would never get anywhere. So naturally people go around 5mph over. These speed trap towns just add unpredictability to the road. You don't know whether you should actually slow down to 25mph because of a dangerous curve or if its just a random speed set by some local farmers who want to fund their police department.
    Last edited by gregnye; Apr 25, 2018 at 8:18 AM.

Plymouth and Chester both qualify as speed traps.

Just obey the speed limits going through those 2 sections, drive at 10/10ths the rest of the time. I can see getting upset if you didn't know about the speed traps, but the speed limits ARE posted clearly, and anyone familiar with the drive really has no excuse.

I've only personally had good/helpful experiences with Vermont cops to and from skiing... in some ways I'm glad they are there, even the speed traps, because if they weren't there let's be honest, half of us would just drive 90mph on Route 100 and similar roads the entire time.

I get more upset at that one slow Vermont driver who won't pull over to the side with a line of 15 cars behind him/her.

Also shouldn't speed too much going through downtown Ludlow.
    Last edited by bdfreetuna; Apr 25, 2018 at 8:36 AM.

The whole route from 91S to Killington is awful. Chester, Ludlow, and Plymouth. The Plymouth cop was not as prevalent as usual this year...I only saw him stationed ~half the times I went to K this year. In a normal year I'd see him 9/10 times I went through Plymouth...and that is not exaggerating at all.

What I don't understand is how the state lets local cops nab you for doing 40mph in a 35mp, but lets people do 70mph on all the rural areas of the state roads. I'm not complaining...60-70mph is my cruising speed on the VT roads I know well (100, 9, 11, 30). But I NEVER see state cops or local cops posted wherever the speed limit is 50mph. Only in the towns.

I've also noticed the state has relaxed on the Route 7 highway up through Rutland. That's become pretty dangerous when you have one guy trying to do 80mph passing right at the end of the truck lane....then in the single-lane parts they try to pass 3 cars by going in the oncoming lane.
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    I've only personally had good/helpful experiences with Vermont cops to and from skiing... in some ways I'm glad they are there, even the speed traps, because if they weren't there let's be honest, half of us would just drive 90mph on Route 100 and similar roads the entire time.
    I got pulled over in VT this year for a headlight being out. No ticket...no paperwork...nothing. Just a verbal "get it fixed before you drive at night again". Total opposite of what they'd do in CT. "Fill this form, you have 72 hours to get it fixed, go to a police station, blah blah blah..."
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    Police in Bridgewater, on VT Route 4, issued over 2,300 tickets last year. Oh, and the 25 mph school zone doesn’t even have a school.
    This is the most Vermont story ever.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    I get more upset at that one slow Vermont driver who won't pull over to the side with a line of 15 cars behind him/her.
    I like to strictly obey the ridiculous posted limits when there's a car with VT plates behind me. Anyone who lives in one of those towns should be ashamed of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post

What I don't understand is how the state lets local cops nab you for doing 40mph in a 35mp, but lets people do 70mph on all the rural areas of the state roads. I'm not complaining...60-70mph is my cruising speed on the VT roads I know well (100, 9, 11, 30). But I NEVER see state cops or local cops posted wherever the speed limit is 50mph. Only in the towns.
    I mean, in addition to bagging skiers with out of state plates as easy revenue from non taxpayers, it also makes total sense for the cops to be posted up in the towns from a pure safety perspective. route 100 goes from what is essentially a high speed road to a small town main street, over and over again. the cops are in the towns to make sure you aren't mowing down kids and pedestrians. they don't care what you do on long empty stretches of 50 mph limit

Thread Information