Skier speed trap hell - Page 23

AlpineZone

Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    Something like that. But you're also still paying for parking too.
    But you would pay to park one way or the other.

Have only read last few pages. Thoughts:

i recommend parkwhiz app. I am not an app person at all, but my college kid turned me on to this. Great deals in big cities.

My college kid already has first job and her first place has to be near the T. Her and her BF hope to have only one car. She wants nothing to do with the burbs and wants to buy her own place as soon as she can - but says she never wants a yard or anything to do with home maintenance. She thinks I'm crazy to like having a yard. Giving up privacy is no big deal. Too much work.

Suburbainites are living in the result of sprawl. Bad where I am now. I hate it. I never thought about it when we moved here 20ish years ago. When kids are out of the great public schools - we plan to move close to the T, a nelghborhood, etc. Hate hopping in the car for everything. I have wracked my brain on a solution - but feel it's almost like the horse is out of the barn (no public transportation before building out). Some type of implosion or self combustion or something is inevitable lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiFanE View Post
    Have only read last few pages. Thoughts:

i recommend parkwhiz app. I am not an app person at all, but my college kid turned me on to this. Great deals in big cities.

My college kid already has first job and her first place has to be near the T. Her and her BF hope to have only one car. She wants nothing to do with the burbs and wants to buy her own place as soon as she can - but says she never wants a yard or anything to do with home maintenance. She thinks I'm crazy to like having a yard. Giving up privacy is no big deal. Too much work.

Suburbainites are living in the result of sprawl. Bad where I am now. I hate it. I never thought about it when we moved here 20ish years ago. When kids are out of the great public schools - we plan to move close to the T, a nelghborhood, etc. Hate hopping in the car for everything. I have wracked my brain on a solution - but feel it's almost like the horse is out of the barn (no public transportation before building out). Some type of implosion or self combustion or something is inevitable lol.
    My college age son wants nothing to do with a city or the burbs (thinks Southern NH is too densely packed let alone anything near Boston). I also want nothing to do with them either. i keep moving further away.
    As far as trains (subways are fine for getting around in cities) I like to be able to go when i want to go. Even in Boston where the subway stops running before the bars close they are not practical and uber/lyft or a taxi are my choices for transportation.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Quote Originally Posted by spring_mountain_high View Post
    hahaha both you ninnies completely missed the point that i made---that they could likely exist on their own as "land cruises", not greyhound buses on rails, which they currently are

long distance trains actually make a profit on the first class passengers, genius
    Really? Then why don't they already make their fortune on these "land cruises"

hahaha. They sure must have an aversion to making money.
    Last edited by BenedictGomez; May 1, 2018 at 9:22 PM.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    My college age son wants nothing to do with a city or the burbs (thinks Southern NH is too densely packed let alone anything near Boston). I also want nothing to do with them either. i keep moving further away.
    As far as trains (subways are fine for getting around in cities) I like to be able to go when i want to go. Even in Boston where the subway stops running before the bars close they are not practical and uber/lyft or a taxi are my choices for transportation.
    I want to be near a T stop not a train. I have a ski place in the boonies of Bethel Maine. From there I can walk to a few pubs, restaurants, grocery store, coffee shop, movies, h/w store and soon to be brewery (there's a ski shuttle in winter). I realized how much I love to do things without a car. Everyone is different. I grew up with two acres, have an acre now...never experienced that kind of walkable living before. And I love it. So I hope to be able to live that way in Boston area. Ditch a car. I'm not at last call at bars lol, but if I have to Uber/lyft on occasion - still beats owning a car.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    This would be a perfect example of yet another train route (and an uber short one at that) which would lose millions of dollars.
    I'm not so convinced it would lose money. If the Downeaster is posting a 50% loss (which is HUGE, but actually much less massive than I thought it was), I would think there is WAY more demand to go to Lincoln, Waterville, Plymouth (college kids), and Winnipesaukee than Durham, Portland, Brunswick, and Freeport on the Downeaster.

It would be an interesting venture, but one that will almost certainly never take place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    I'm not so convinced it would lose money.
    It would definitely lose money; lots of money. You're not going to get enough people to pay enough money to go to Loon via train to justify the expense of a track build-out (+ interest). Not to mention the labor & benefits, etc.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post

"Country" includes far more than just cities. I agree with you (abc) that for people that live in cities, many people don't need and choose not to have cars. That has absolutely nothing to do with overall card dependence in this country though. The overall dependence will never end and that's the point myself and others have illustrated.
    While the US will never see the ratio of car-less folks to car owners that say, the Netherlands sees, what I take people like Gregnye to mean when they say "the US is losing its dependency on cars" is that in other areas beyond just inner, large cities, cars are no longer a necessity. This just wasn't the case not that long ago. In 1990, if you didn't want to own a car (not that many people living in 1990 didn't want to), you HAD to live in a large city (and mostly on the east coast).

The innovation that ride shares + expanded bike lanes + expanded and better bus service in smaller cities, like Portland ME, has drastically decreased the proliferation of new car registrations in the city over the last few years. That is a new phenomenon.

Additionally in the Boston metro area it is now POSSIBLE (though I am not sure I would choose this lifestyle myself, IMO) to live without a car if you're near commuter rail. Sull1102's point about transit oriented development is truly happening even in some suburbs (many think this is incredibly foolhardy... but it is still happening). In West Concord, MA a large luxury condo/apartment complex went in 200m from the commuter rail station a few years ago and is sold out ($2500 for a one bedroom I think I saw). While many people in those apartments have cars, it is far from all of them.

Just because you own a car does not mean you are dependent on it too. I live in Boston and use my car to ski and drive to visit family outside the city. I commute on mass transit, visit friends on mass transit, and do errands using mass transit.

Basically, in many areas of the US (including many new types of areas), it is possible to live a carless life more than ever now.

Many (including a lot on this board) think that doing that is a lot more trouble than it is worth, and they have a point. However people are still doing it and are very glad they've done so.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    It would definitely lose money; lots of money. You're not going to get enough people to pay enough money to go to Loon via train to justify the expense of a track build-out (+ interest). Not to mention the labor & benefits, etc.
    I agree. There would never be enough weekday passengers. With one train running Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday AM and PM no way can they afford building the track.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

The Canadian and US governments are getting close to establishing pre-clearance at the train station in Montreal. If that happens, I could see a ski train from Montreal to Waterbury on the weekend. Stowe and Sugarbush could run shuttles from the Waterbury train station.

The one thing going against this is that it would be a lot easier to have a suburban location to pick up the ski train. Parking in downtown Montreal and lugging ski gear is not that appealing. But if there is pre-clearance, there won't be any stops between Montreal and the US border.

Thread Information