• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skier speed trap hell

JimG.

Staff member
I'd also love a Corvette, but my preference would be the Grand Sport. A little more practical for every day driving where as the Z06 is more track focused. At least that's how I interpret the designs. Far off reality for me though. Maybe after I finish saving for two kids college funds.

Somehow missed this part.

Yeah I keep going back and forth between the Grand Sport and Z06. You're right about the everyday drivability of the GS but I also want to get involved in area track days. Maybe take some performance driving lessons at Lime Rock or Watkins Glen. Then I hear my neighbor up the street drive by in his Z06 (black coupe with black interior and black wheels) and that wonderful exhaust note kind of makes it seem like a no brainer.

Still a few years away.

moresnow

Somehow missed this part.

Yeah I keep going back and forth between the Grand Sport and Z06. You're right about the everyday drivability of the GS but I also want to get involved in area track days. Maybe take some performance driving lessons at Lime Rock or Watkins Glen. Then I hear my neighbor up the street drive by in his Z06 (black coupe with black interior and black wheels) and that wonderful exhaust note kind of makes it seem like a no brainer.

Still a few years away.
Maybe you will be able to get the mythical mid-engine Corvette by then.

Sent from my Pixel XL using AlpineZone mobile app

Jcb890

If you're going to buy a mid-life-crisis-mobile, why in the hell go out and buy a watered-down version of the sports car you want? Either actually go for it, or don't waste your money.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you're going to buy a mid-life-crisis-mobile, why in the hell go out and buy a watered-down version of the sports car you want? Either actually go for it, or don't waste your money.
In regards to the difference between the two Corvettes, the Grand Sport I wouldn't necessarily call a watered down vehicle. The Stingray, would be a big drop off. The GS is still pretty much the best performing sports car on the market for under $100G. The Z06 is really designed for track enthusiasts. It has ground affects that make damage a risk on anything, but board flat roads. It also has had more reliability issues with it's crazy engine. But, I'm sure it's a bit more fun on the track. So, I could see why Jim would be interested.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jcb890

In regards to the difference between the two Corvettes, the Grand Sport I wouldn't necessarily call a watered down vehicle. The Stingray, would be a big drop off. The GS is still pretty much the best performing sports car on the market for under $100G. The Z06 is really designed for track enthusiasts. It has ground affects that make damage a risk on anything, but board flat roads. It also has had more reliability issues with it's crazy engine. But, I'm sure it's a bit more fun on the track. So, I could see why Jim would be interested.

My comment was more a generality. If you're going to go buy a mid-life-crisis toy of any kind, why bother half-assing it?

Who worries about reliability issues when buying a new car? If you buy it new, you have a warranty. Issues are fixed for free. If you're worried about reliability, don't keep the car once the warranty is up. Are you going to use any type of Corvette for a daily driver? Most likely not. So, might as well get what you want for the fun days. That's where my other suggestion comes in - go with something used and already modified that will be as fun or more fun and cost less if cost is what you're worried about.

BenedictGomez

Hasn't that always been the knock on the Corvette; that for the same sum of money you can get a better sports car?

deadheadskier

Staff member
My comment was more a generality. If you're going to go buy a mid-life-crisis toy of any kind, why bother half-assing it?

Who worries about reliability issues when buying a new car? If you buy it new, you have a warranty. Issues are fixed for free. If you're worried about reliability, don't keep the car once the warranty is up. Are you going to use any type of Corvette for a daily driver? Most likely not. So, might as well get what you want for the fun days. That's where my other suggestion comes in - go with something used and already modified that will be as fun or more fun and cost less if cost is what you're worried about.
Well, you are talking 75-80k for a well equipped Grand Sport. You are looking North of $100k for the Z. That's a big leap.

This article describes why the GS is perhaps the better pick if you mainly plan on cruising around normal roads

https://jalopnik.com/2017-corvette-grand-sport-don-t-buy-any-other-corvette-1784235809

The Sneak

Responding to Benecdict:

Actually nowadays the opposite is true. The last 2 generations of Corvette punch well above their weight and are tremendous value for the dollar. They don't appeal to or make sense for me, but I can certainly appreciate them.

I'd rather have a 10 year Porsche Cayman or 30-40 year old 911, performance be damned.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hasn't that always been the knock on the Corvette; that for the same sum of money you can get a better sports car?
For the $$$, the current Corvette is about the highest performing sports car you can buy. You have to get into high end Porches and other European exotics costing far more $$$$ to get the kind of handling, acceleration and braking you get in a Corvette these days.

Jcb890

No, that's always been one of its calling cards really. Its always been competing with exotics in terms of performance at a much lesser price tag. Of course, with that, you lost a lot of the comforts and build quality compared to the more expensive alternates.

For the $$$, the current Corvette is about the highest performing sports car you can buy. You have to get into high end Porches and other European exotics costing far more $$$$ to get the kind of handling, acceleration and braking you get in a Corvette these days.

^^ This. Though it will never be looked on the same due to the build quality, etc. which allow a car like the Corvette to perform the way it does and not cost 2-3x. Personally, I have nothing against Corvettes in general.

Well, you are talking 75-80k for a well equipped Grand Sport. You are looking North of $100k for the Z. That's a big leap.

This article describes why the GS is perhaps the better pick if you mainly plan on cruising around normal roads

https://jalopnik.com/2017-corvette-grand-sport-don-t-buy-any-other-corvette-1784235809

If you're buying a part-time mid-life-crisis-mobile and money is a concern, go used. You could get something much more impressive, faster, etc. than a new Corvette Grand Sport for $75-80k. If you're worried about reliability, buy something cheaper and reliable and a less reliable toy. I'd bet you can do both for under $80k still.

BenedictGomez

Actually nowadays the opposite is true. The last 2 generations of Corvette punch well above their weight and are tremendous value for the dollar. They don't appeal to or make sense for me, but I can certainly appreciate them.

I'd rather have a 10 year Porsche Cayman or 30-40 year old 911, performance be damned.

Interesting; I'm glad to hear that, go USA.

Jcb890

Interesting; I'm glad to hear that, go USA.
Performance-wise, they stand up.

But don't worry, the rest of the world still snubs their nose at the Corvette for being made of sub-par materials and having sub-par build quality compared to its European counterparts.

JimG.

Staff member
Not considering European sports cars, I think most are overpriced and maintaining them is even more expensive.

I'm looking for something made in the USA and I've always had a thing for Corvettes going way back to being a kid. My neighbor's Z06 is a beast and it looks like one too. The murdered out all black look isn't my style but it does enhance the beastly look.

I have considered buying an older Vette but I really like the newest styling. The Z06 does have a ton of ground effects bodywork that would be problematic for daily driving. That exhaust note (roar) is hard to resist though. Perhaps the best solution is to get the GS and bring it to a tuner.

Decisions decisions!

x10003q

Not considering European sports cars, I think most are overpriced and maintaining them is even more expensive.

I'm looking for something made in the USA and I've always had a thing for Corvettes going way back to being a kid. My neighbor's Z06 is a beast and it looks like one too. The murdered out all black look isn't my style but it does enhance the beastly look.

I have considered buying an older Vette but I really like the newest styling. The Z06 does have a ton of ground effects bodywork that would be problematic for daily driving. That exhaust note (roar) is hard to resist though. Perhaps the best solution is to get the GS and bring it to a tuner.

Decisions decisions!

If you want a fun and affordable car, get the new Camaro V6 with the 1LE Track Package - out the door for around $32k
http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-sports-car/1le-packages

chuckstah

Going back to the original topic for a moment, (sorry to hijack the thread drift). On my way to Killington this morning while passing through the 25 MPH school zone with no school in Bridgewater, as I slowed to 25 I was passed by a car with NH plates flying, at maybe 50. Now, I never wish bad karma on anyone, but I was expecting a good laugh a 100 or so yards up the road where the Sherriff basically lives. Alas, the unsuspecting tourist lucked out and likely caught a shift change as it was about 8 am, and passed safely. On my way home, the Sherriff was back in his usual spot, enforcing the the no school school zone 25. That drives sucks, and is at least part of the reason that I no longer ski K, until it is the only option. Carry on with the thread hijack.

Zand

Saw a county cop doing radar at the old gas station in Plymouth on the up...nothing on the way home. First time I've seen a cop in Plymouth this year. Didn't see another cop the whole day...91 included. The construction delay in Chester sucked though.

sull1102

Just to confirm for everyone, Mount Tabor's finest was out in full force aka all of one with his Charger. Was there in the way up to K and then again heading home in the afternoon in the exact same spot so much so I kind of wondered if he had moved at all in the 7-8 hours that had passed.

All this talk of Corvettes being the best performance for the money, LoL... No. Unbelievable performance for the many absolutely, right up there, but just a small step below the real boys. I mean even the new Camaro ZL1 comes real close on track but just cannot handle as tight. Hell a Hellcat or Demon is more interesting overall, just be very careful cause it wants to kill you. The real competitors would be a BMW M4 and M2 competition packs. They handle significantly better than anything GM can manage and the interior/tech is all far superior as well. Of course BMW comes with it's own stereotypes, but hey the Vettes sure do cover up for something small as well!

Sent from my LG-H820 using AlpineZone mobile app