Skier speed trap hell - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post

Of course...in my home state of Connecticut I'm used to seeing one State trooper on the interstate a month, tops. Enforcement of any road rules is a total joke. The section of 84 between Waterbury and Harford where it's supposedly a 55mph limit cracks me up the most. Do less than 70mph and you'll get run over.
    Good news, CDOT is raising the speed limit on that stretch soon,so now you can do 80. Whoever designed 84 should be in jail for incompetence, worst highway anywhere.
    Snowflakes matter

Waze and a valentine 1 radar locator. Most VT cops leave their radar running so you know they are coming. In the event they use I/O (instant on) or quick trigger you’ll know and it will be easier to eat in court. Any officer under oath will have to tell you the technique they use and that it takes approximately 3 seconds o stabilize the speed. They will also admit that they have seen inaccurate speeds at times. Once he states this information. You move to dismiss the chatrge. The V1 gives you the information you need before you are sitting in court.

I estimated all those tickets come out top 250 dollars per resident of bridgwater VT which has only has aa population of 936, assuming everyone was 10mph over the speed-limit. Good look convincing them to give up that revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    right, because this doesnt happen in every state.
    No, actually, it doesn't happen in every state.

This is the first I've ever heard of issuing literally THOUSANDS of individual speeding tickets per year in a fraudulent, non-existent, phantom, "school zone".

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    This is beyond crazy. Why is this allowed?

If there's one reason to look forward to self driving cars; it'll eliminate chicken$hit tickets like these.
    Once that happens those backwater towns will simply issue tickets for everything else that they normally don't bother with. Either that or the residents will take it on the chin with increased fees & taxes. Local government is going to recapture that $$$$$ one way or the other.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

If this is such a sore issue, here's an idea-- drive the speed limit in these known speed-traps, and remove the possibility of contributing to the "highway robbery." ......Or the more likely scenario, continue to complain about it here.
    Last edited by ThinkSnow; Apr 25, 2018 at 3:34 PM.
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSnow View Post
    If this is such a sore issue, here's an idea-- drive the speed limit in these known speed-traps, and remove the possibility of contributing to the "highway robbery." ......Or the more likely scenario, continue to complain about it here.
    Literally driven the Mass Pike/91 combo hundreds of times on Friday and Sunday afternoons/evening in ski season over the last 15 or so years. Cruise set at 75 when the traffic and road conditions allow. Never gotten a ticket even though I've passed by hundreds of police cars doing speed enforcement...

As for VT, it's pretty simple, if the speed limit dramatically drops from the usual 50 or so that it is on many non limited access highways in VT that we all use to get to various ski areas down to 25 -35 as you enter a small town, the odds of one encountering an officer where the speed limit quickly drops are usually pretty good.

Just drive smart, and respect the small towns, and while it might end up taking you a few extra minutes to get to your intended destination, you'll arrive with your wallet more flush
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1,7,14,15,21,26,27,28,29,30 (Mount Snow) 16 (Mount Southington) 22 (Okemo) 31 (Berkshire East)
    January: 1,4,5,11,12,18,19,20,25,26 (Mount Snow) 6,13,23,27 (Mount Southington)
    February: 1,2,15,16,22,23 (Mount Snow) 3,5,12 (Mount Southington) 8 (Bromley) 9 (Stratton) 17 (Pico)

I still find it interesting the double yellow is only a suggestion in VT, but that is neither here nor there in terms of this conversation.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    No, actually, it doesn't happen in every state.

This is the first I've ever heard of issuing literally THOUSANDS of individual speeding tickets per year in a fraudulent, non-existent, phantom, "school zone".
    School zone is just there excuse, becouse every backwater town has a low speed limit school or no school. Is there a higher fine for school zones than non school zones?

I learned very quickly 25 years ago to ALWAYS do the speed limit in the towns. ALWAYS. That is advice I give all friends that come for weekend visits. Also get any headlight, tail light, blinker, etc fixed ASAP because as stated before they use that to pull you over and check for DUI. Read the local police blotter and how many DUI's were nabbed for faulty equipment. 2 beers at apres is all it takes.

yep, whenever one particular friend does the driving, i have to scold him repeatedly to cool it thru the towns. its really annoying how he doesn't get it. he won't get it until we get pulled over. with bud in the car.

Thread Information