Skier speed trap hell - Page 9

AlpineZone

Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    I love cars and I enjoy driving. I also spend enough time on the road to see how bad people are at driving. It's scary as hell to see someone puttering along in the left lane, swerving.....and when you pass them(on the right)...they're texting or talking on the phone. It's crazy how many feet you travel per second a highway speeds; and you see people not paying attention.
    SoVT

As a college student, I feel like most people my age don't like driving. I know many people who don't have there license, and we are always carpooling, and often looking for ways to avoid driving. I think the big drunk driving and texting meanwhile driving campaigns combines with a desire to do both meanwhile in transit makes driving feel like a chore to my generation. I think this is also why millennial tend to put off moving to the suburbs.

As an avid NASCAR fan, something I often talk about with other racing fans is the death of American car culture. Not only is working on cars not a thing anymore, just owning them is viewed as too much of a "hassle", as benski said.

The truth is when you're in high school getting a car is far too expensive (especially insurance). And is it worth it so the kid can commute to/from a minimum wage job? Then in college, they live on-campus or in-town, as quite a few colleges now require first year students to live on-campus, and without a car. So now the individual is in their early 20s, and, demographics would indicate that a young professional at that age is most likely to live in a city, where they can use mass transportation.

Somewhere along the line people stopped equating cars with freedom and personal independence. Independence has started to mean going to university and living away from home....and with that, cars just became another large, costly appliance.

My $0.02. And for the record, after skiing, the biggest thing I couldn't live without is a car.
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    Somewhere along the line people stopped equating cars with freedom and personal independence. Independence has started to mean going to university and living away from home....and with that, cars just became another large, costly appliance.
    When I went to college (a mere 18 years ago), I was thrilled to find that my top choice let freshmen have cars on campus. I just couldn't have imagined being without a car even in college (and I went away to college 5 hours from home).

Quote Originally Posted by x10003q View Post
    Speedometers can be plus or minus 5mph at highway speeds. Also, sometimes people put the wrong size tires on their vehicles and that also changes speedometers. This is why cops generally let you slide for 10 mph over. I have seen cops write tickets down to under 10 over in order not to bury people in fines and insurance increases.
    I agree 100% with the variation in speedometers and different sized tires, and I knew someone would bring this up
    But, that in and of it's self is not why cops let you ride for +10mph, they're generally not that magnanimous. In fact it'd be up to you as the car owner, to keep your car in compliance. The real issue is most cops don't want to be bothered fighting a fight in court with someone over a small speeding infraction and a small fine, especially if the infraction get's pleaded down. A 15mph or over is less likely to get pleaded down, or if it does it still results in a traffic infraction and a fine, so it's a fast in and out in court for the cop, and more of a sure thing for conviction.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    When I went to college (a mere 18 years ago), I was thrilled to find that my top choice let freshmen have cars on campus. I just couldn't have imagined being without a car even in college (and I went away to college 5 hours from home).
    Me too. College 5 hours away. Drove myself there and back in my MGB from day one, my parents never set foot on the campus. It's a shame that insurance is so high now for young men, it was high when I was young, but now it's crazy--it's the lions share of the cost of ownership usually--especially for a used or free from family member car. It's too bad young people don't see the freedom a car can offer. I can understand that if you live in a city, a car is a hassle, but that of course depends on the city, some are more car friendly than others.

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    Police in Bridgewater, on VT Route 4, issued over 2,300 tickets last year. Oh, and the 25 mph school zone doesn’t even have a school.

http://www.wcax.com/content/news/Ver...480793251.html
    Some things don't change. That is a huge speed trap.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Cars were everything in my teens. My car gave me access to skiing, a nice job, going out with friends, and since the parents were at home... my car gave me a private place for many romantic "firsts"
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post

I'm so glad the car dependence is ending in this country. And this is coming from someone who drives commercially for work. Cars are unsustainable modes of transportation that prevent social interaction. Not to mention how unsafe they are. We have just become accustom to the daily car crashes and loss of lives cars create.

People always are often impressed at the low miles on my car. Really I only use it to go skiing and take public transit into work. I would 100% sell my car if there was a reliable train to the ski areas I frequent.
    "Well, they called him Super Skier,
    As he sat around the sundeck,
    For he swore that he would never take a spill.
    When they finally brought him down
    They had to use three toboggans
    To carry all the pieces down the hill."
    --Chad Mitchell Trio

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Just remember you'll be rolling along at the speed limit ... or less
    If everyone drives at the speedlimit tragic flows much better. Cars merge together nicely eliminating traffic jams. By everyone driving the same and constant speed you would be amazed how much faster you arrive even driving slower.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

104(12/13)
    (13/14)
    48(14/15)
    35(15/16)
    50(16/17)
    Rossi Soul 7 w/ Marker F12 (188 ) FOR SALE!
    Stockli Stormrider w/ Look PX 12 (177)

Thread Information