Summer 2018 Northeast Offseason Improvements - Page 11

AlpineZone

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 228
  1. #101
    Loon peak is already crowded as is, They cannot put a higher capacity lift in where the gondola is. It is underwhelming though that they stayed with the old style CWA Omega cabins instead of the new ones. CWA does make 4 passenger Omegas with the floor to ceiling windows, Telluride uses some on its Chondola. https://skiliftblog.files.wordpress....3/img_0744.jpg Or at least paint the cabins a new color, instead of the same old drab grey. Its as if they do not want people to notice the cabins are new.



    What I am really surprised about is that boyne is not upgrading the terminals, towers, hangers, which must be near the end of their lives. Look at what Steamboat recently did with their gondola which is even older than Loon's. They kept the old cabins, but replaced almost everything else, so mechanically it is like a new lift. https://liftblog.com/2017/02/21/stea...dola-upgrades/

    Loon can handle more people on the lower mountain, someday soon it would be nice if they replace 7 Brothers with a detachable quad. This will help shorten the long gondola lines. Even with the new loading carpet, people do not want to use 7 Brother unless the Gondola line is absurdly long.

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarcissaro View Post
    I’m more inclined to argue that Loon would be doing more of a disservice to the experience by putting in a bigger gondola. There’s already enough people on the slopes on a busy day, gotta keep some at the base. Trails off the gondola summit aren’t exactly ‘old New England’ style, but aren’t super wide boulevards either.

    You want even more getting dropped off at the summit, and hence, on the trails with you? An 8 person gondy would be a shit show, I think. If you’re there on weekend you already should be accepting the normal line situation there.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    You can increase the cabin size but keep the capacity near the same by simply spacing them further apart or running it a little slower.

  3. #103
    Smellytele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Right where I want to be
    Posts
    7,478
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    You can increase the cabin size but keep the capacity near the same by simply spacing them further apart or running it a little slower.
    Why bother?
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

  4. #104
    machski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northwood, NH (Sunday River, ME)
    Posts
    2,040
    Quote Originally Posted by xlr8r View Post
    Loon peak is already crowded as is, They cannot put a higher capacity lift in where the gondola is. It is underwhelming though that they stayed with the old style CWA Omega cabins instead of the new ones. CWA does make 4 passenger Omegas with the floor to ceiling windows, Telluride uses some on its Chondola. https://skiliftblog.files.wordpress....3/img_0744.jpg Or at least paint the cabins a new color, instead of the same old drab grey. Its as if they do not want people to notice the cabins are new.

    What I am really surprised about is that boyne is not upgrading the terminals, towers, hangers, which must be near the end of their lives. Look at what Steamboat recently did with their gondola which is even older than Loon's. They kept the old cabins, but replaced almost everything else, so mechanically it is like a new lift. https://liftblog.com/2017/02/21/stea...dola-upgrades/

    Loon can handle more people on the lower mountain, someday soon it would be nice if they replace 7 Brothers with a detachable quad. This will help shorten the long gondola lines. Even with the new loading carpet, people do not want to use 7 Brother unless the Gondola line is absurdly long.
    Keep dreaming about 7 Brothers. It was suppose to be upped to a HSQ (and the triple moved over to replace East Basin) but that got scratched and a load carpet added. Doubt they spend anything there until South is finally fully built out.

    Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

  5. #105
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Fryeburg Maine
    Posts
    2,097
    Attachment 24003Attachment 24004Testing out the new pumping system at Shawnee Peak yesterday.
    skiing is not just an activity, it is a lifestyle!

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Why bother?
    Ever been to Loon and ridden that gondi? It is horrible. They are some of the smallest cabins ever made. Even going to a 6-pax fewer cabins, don't increase capacity (I disagree that the summit is too crowded, you can increase it another 50 skiers an hour and still be okay) and the bigger space would make it a more enjoyable ride.

    Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app
    2014-2015
    11/3- Sunday River
    11/9- Bretton Woods
    12/13- Bretton Woods
    1/18- Wachusett
    1/25- Watatic
    1/29- Wachusett

    www.skibigsquaw.com

  7. #107
    Smellytele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Right where I want to be
    Posts
    7,478
    Quote Originally Posted by sull1102 View Post
    Ever been to Loon and ridden that gondi? It is horrible. They are some of the smallest cabins ever made. Even going to a 6-pax fewer cabins, don't increase capacity (I disagree that the summit is too crowded, you can increase it another 50 skiers an hour and still be okay) and the bigger space would make it a more enjoyable ride.

    Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app
    I have been and ridden them. The point was why put in a six person one when those will just be as crowded with 6 people in them and not gain you anything because you have less of them and/or run it slower.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Attachment 24003Attachment 24004Testing out the new pumping system at Shawnee Peak yesterday.
    Yeah I know it's only water but this made my day. Blow the mice season is upon us and NEXT month Killington and others will hopefully be blowing snow.
    2019/20 = 23 Cut Short!
    2018/19 = 36
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

  9. #109
    42F in SoVT earlier this AM.

    Great pics Terry!
    SoVT

  10. #110
    Smellytele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Right where I want to be
    Posts
    7,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    42F in SoVT earlier this AM.

    Great pics Terry!
    Same in central NH
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.