• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer 2018 Northeast Offseason Improvements

tumbler

I do kinda wonder about these "major snowmaking lines" that connect the main water source these mountains use to their on-mountain systems. Killington tapping into the Woodward Reservoir comes to mind. Okemo's big pond just outside Ludlow that takes from the river is another. Major pipes like these must be pushing 30+ years old at most resorts and would be a huge undertaking to replace I'd imagine, tearing up roads and lots of digging.

Killington's line from the reservoir is PVC, gravity pitched. Most resorts do not want to pay the expense for the quality pipe so this is quite common.

machski

At a minimum it shows that Boyne is willing to pay for that maintenance. CNL and OZ (however brief) clearly were not shelling out for these replacements while Boyne immediately does in the year they buy the resorts back.

Could be coincidence, but it doesn't feel like it. It's not like Loon didn't need cabins every year CNL owned them and SR's main line has had struggles from what Mach said. The replacements were justified for years, but Boyne is actually doing them now. Major step in the right direction!
SR's feed line dates back to probably the late 70's or at best 80ish. So it was going on 40+ years old and is a fairly high pressure line to pump it uphill from the river to Barker Basin. Barker Road has needed a repave for a while now as well, so maybe that is in the near future with the feed line replacement done (feed line basically is below Barker road).

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

benski

Greek peek is putting new chairs on there chair 5, AKA the backside triple. They also said they are replacing there beginner lift (number 3) with a triple next year. They defiantly need to replace there lift 2, it really old and rusty. Reminds me of the old valley house and village lifts at Sugarbush but i have not heard any plans to do so, so hearing the newer lift 3 comes first is a surprise.

The pictures are defiantly of a two used lifts being hauled away from different ski area, anyone know which one. One lift has hall towers, the other does not.

https://www.facebook.com/GreekPeakMountainResort/posts/10156326179447900

Jully

Went up to Loon to play their new disk golf course, the new Gondola cabins are already on. No different than the old ones except the skylight window is a bit bigger and more square.

Imagine structurally there cannot be much they can change. You get a look inside one?

machski

Imagine structurally there cannot be much they can change. You get a look inside one?
Rode in one, they are all on line and in use this summer. Pretty much the same, the only thing different is the sky light window is a bit bigger with a hydraulic arm to hold open. I think the hangar arms are the old ones too, so literally just new cabins

Jully

Rode in one, they are all on line and in use this summer. Pretty much the same, the only thing different is the sky light window is a bit bigger with a hydraulic arm to hold open. I think the hangar arms are the old ones too, so literally just new cabins

Ah, kind of lame, but no sense in spending tons of money on 4 person cabins. Wonder how long they intend to use these for. Could it be a 3-5 year stopgap or more like 10+ years of use they're hoping to get out of new cabins. If they're really not much, I'd hope it's the former.

sull1102

Any pics? I can't even find anything on their social media about the "upgrade" I mean are they just a tiny bit wider at all? It's always a tight fit with 4 inside.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

crystalmountainskier

Are you sure they are new? Telluride recently got some new 4 passenger Omegas and they are the fourth generation style.
img_0744.jpg

Their older ones are just like Loon's
img_0741.jpg

machski

I did not take any pics, had my dog and he was a nervous wreck on it. No bigger, they are exactly the same except new and unscratched plexiglass. The glass does not go down to the floor, still metal from seat back height down. And definitely no roomier, same dimensions.

sull1102

So literally the exact same f-ing way too small waste of a lift on the weekends... great. They must view this as a holdover for the next 5-8 years while they finally maybe kinda sorta make a dent South Peak's build out. Actually I wonder if these were part of a deal for that rumored pulse gondi.

mbedle

So literally the exact same f-ing way too small waste of a lift on the weekends... great. They must view this as a holdover for the next 5-8 years while they finally maybe kinda sorta make a dent South Peak's build out. Actually I wonder if these were part of a deal for that rumored pulse gondi.

I think the pulse gondola is associated with Riverwalk and not the Loon.

sull1102

I believe you are correct mbedle but I just can't figure out how else this could happen. I wonder if it was a weird situation where CWA or whoever makes those cabins had old stock sitting around. I mean they easily could have upgraded to a all plexiglass one and that would have been a pretty big update.

bdfreetuna

Meanwhile Telluride still has a couple double chairs without safety bars and very slippery shitty seats taking you high over very ser terrain.

You have 2 options from Telluride village... the gondola (fine but takes you over to mild terrain) or going straight up the mountain on the sketchiest double chair.

IDK but I'm not a heights guy. If the seats on the bar-less double weren't made of the most slippery, down-sloping plastic available in 1940 it might be a slightly better ride first thing in the morning. I did feel that if I let go of the metal pole holding the chair to the cable (only thing to hold on to) I would easily slip off the seat and fall 100+ feet to serious injury.

machski

I believe you are correct mbedle but I just can't figure out how else this could happen. I wonder if it was a weird situation where CWA or whoever makes those cabins had old stock sitting around. I mean they easily could have upgraded to a all plexiglass one and that would have been a pretty big update.

Probably why Loon hasn't made a big deal about the cabins on their website or even a presser. The pulse Gondola was/is to be for Riverwalk owners/guests once South Peak learner's pods and base buildout is complete.

chuckstah

It looks like Boyne really cheaped out on this "upgrade". The plan I heard two seasons ago, from Loon management, was a $10 million replacement, although increased capacity had not yet been determined. Hopefully this is just a stopgap as some have speculated.

raisingarizona

Meanwhile Telluride still has a couple double chairs without safety bars and very slippery shitty seats taking you high over very ser terrain.

You have 2 options from Telluride village... the gondola (fine but takes you over to mild terrain) or going straight up the mountain on the sketchiest double chair.

IDK but I'm not a heights guy. If the seats on the bar-less double weren't made of the most slippery, down-sloping plastic available in 1940 it might be a slightly better ride first thing in the morning. I did feel that if I let go of the metal pole holding the chair to the cable (only thing to hold on to) I would easily slip off the seat and fall 100+ feet to serious injury.

While you are being a little dramatic those old lifts on the front side are long overdue for replacements. It’s all part of their latest improvement plans and I imagine is still going through the NEPA and other required processes.

This should help you kill some time.
https://www.tellurideskiresort.com/...016 master development plan_final_opt (1).pdf

crystalmountainskier

You realize many hundreds of lifts of all ages in the western United States have no bars, right?

Last edited: