• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer 2018 Northeast Offseason Improvements

Jully

Wow I really have not been keeping track of time and dates. Thanks for the reminder... we could be skiing in about a month!

I didn't see any snowmaking tests except Shawnee this month. Still time, but I thought both K and SR usually have a nice photoshoot.

machski

I didn't see any snowmaking tests except Shawnee this month. Still time, but I thought both K and SR usually have a nice photoshoot.
Two weekends ago, SR was finishing the new feed line tie into the on mountain snowflake factory. If that is complete now, I have no doubt the first sub 32 morning they get from now on, you will see a test to check the line and system.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

The prior questions on Bromley's Sun Mountain Lift (double) have been answered via a photo on social media of the spool of a new haul rope for the lift.

machski

I seriously doubt that the crossarms are wide enough to have appropriate tower clearance for anything greater than a 4 pax cabin. Not to mention the tri-pod towers were reused from the original gondola, so doubt they would be designed for a heavier line load.

So, a friend who works at Loon told me they dropped $32K/cabin AND the mountain is still seriously pushing to replace the entire thing in 4 years with a new one that has bigger cabins. Makes me wonder if Loon/Boyne has a plan for the old one given the coin they dropped on cabins for only a 4 year run possibly.

Jully

That's nuts. Arent there like 120 cabins? So $4,000,000. It wouldn't shock me if they did scrap it after 4 years, but nice to think they'll reuse it somewhere.

deadheadskier

Staff member
So, a friend who works at Loon told me they dropped $32K/cabin AND the mountain is still seriously pushing to replace the entire thing in 4 years with a new one that has bigger cabins. Makes me wonder if Loon/Boyne has a plan for the old one given the coin they dropped on cabins for only a 4 year run possibly.

$32k a cabin? Do they come with heated leather seats and Apple car play?

That's crazy for how little is involved in materials and technology in a basic 4 seat Gondola cabin.

Here's a thought for Boyne. When they replace it, move the Loon Gondola up to Sugarloaf and run it up the old Bucksaw line. That would take some pressure off of the Superquad and provide weather protected lift access to Bullwinkle's for weekend and holiday evening meals and off season weddings.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

WoodCore

$32k a cabin? Do they come with heated leather seats and Apple car play?

That's crazy for how little is involved in materials and technology in a basic 4 seat Gondola cabin.

Here's a thought for Boyne. When they replace it, move the Loon Gondola up to Sugarloaf and run it up the old Bucksaw line. That would take some pressure off of the Superquad and provide weather protected lift access to Bullwinkle's for weekend and holiday evening meals and off season weddings.

Genius!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Good beginner and low intermediate terrain off Bucksaw with room to cut a couple more trails skiers left. Wind sheltered area of the mountain. Beginning skiers tend to like the protection from the elements a gondola provides.

Perfect fit

sull1102

The last set lasted a full 30 years before being replaced. This new set sure looks identical in every possible way so even after 4 years they'll be good for another 25 years of service! Also serves as a nice way to spread the cost of a new gondi if the cabins are paid for 4 years early. I really would love to know if anyone in management was pushing for a full on replacement. They could be NH's first bubble lift, something Mount Snow and Okemo have been marketing like mad for years now. They certainly have the demand.

Of course there's also the East Basin lift that's on it's last legs...

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

MEtoVTSkier

You just might be on to what their plan is. Would explain why they don't seem to do anything with the lift situation at the Loaf yet...

tumbler

Just read that Stowe is taking out their RFID gates and going to handheld scanners. Interesting, is this a Vail thing to not have gates?

WJenness

Just read that Stowe is taking out their RFID gates and going to handheld scanners. Interesting, is this a Vail thing to not have gates?

Last time I skied at Park City there were gates at the major lifts. The minor lifts had handheld scanners...

I wonder if they're just going to handheld scanners and see how that works and then possibly add gates to major lifts next year if necessary or something.

cdskier

Nothing like going backwards!

If they are handheld RFID scanners, then I could actually see that being faster than gates. It did surprise me a bit when I read about that last week though, although at the same time if they need to change the system to be compatible with Vail's system, perhaps handheld scanners are simply cheaper than installing new gates.