• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer 2018 Northeast Offseason Improvements

Newpylong

According to K ops personnel, as of now if the lift runs it will be open to the public. If there is not enough traffic to warrant running it, KMS will be using the 6 pack. Round trip time with no to minimal line there vs midstation is a wash.

Furthermore from a liability perspective you should not operate a lift to the mid-station only.

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
According to K ops personnel, as of now if the lift runs it will be open to the public. If there is not enough traffic to warrant running it, KMS will be using the 6 pack. Round trip time with no to minimal line there vs midstation is a wash.

Furthermore from a liability perspective you should not operate a lift to the mid-station only.

Good to hear. Always appreciate your insight Newpylong.

Crazy to think that now there'll be 2 HSQ's, the gondola, a triple, and a 6 pack running out of the base of the North side of the resort. 25 years ago it was 1 HSQ, a triple, and 3 doubles. All that added lift capacity with the same lodges lol.

kbroderick

Fun fact, he also told me that currently, the River encompasses 3000 acres, and they have 5000 acres undeveloped out beyond Jordan. Between the lodges and hotels and operations and grounds, 3000 acres and 2 million maintenance budget, I'm saying wow!

If you're a visual learner, check out the parcel viewer (you'll have to search / pan / zoom otherwise get to Newry, as I don't see a direct-link option) and note that CNL owns a large parcel north of Nordic Knoll Rd (basically north across Sunday River Rd from the golf club, directly north of Nordic Knoll Rd) that goes all the way to the Sunday River Whitecap ridgeline overlooking Rt 26 through the Bear River valley.

I'm fairly sure they also have substantial holdings in Riley Township, but the unorganized township parcel data doesn't show ownership.

Jully

Loading from the mid station is how the River generally opens the first week. You can load and unload at the bottom, but for skiing, you do laps at the mid station to the top. Ummmm... I'm not sure about the downloading, I may have that wrong, maybe there is one trail down...

I think Newpylong is saying going from bottom to mid station and forcing everyone to unload there is the liability problem because it is fairly easy to "miss" the unload.

I would image loading at the midstation and going to the top is less problematic.

Newpylong

yes sir - Though I've seen places out west do it, Tramway boards and insurance carriers frown upon UN-loading at the mid-station only. There is no guarantee people will get off and generally stopping the lift and having someone jump off is not acceptable. Neither is sending someone to the top and around.

Killington was a little different than SR in that you used to download from the very top, the mid-station platform was only on the uphill side.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised at all if the cripple, when it runs, will be for the KMS athlete's only the majority of the time. The public's best chance for access wouldn't surprise me if it was just during times when they're waiting to get the Snowdon 6 de-iced. Time will tell....
I would have a serious problem with that if that happens to occur. Sometimes that's the only lift without a wait to get you to the higher lifts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Loading from the mid station is how the River generally opens the first week. You can load and unload at the bottom, but for skiing, you do laps at the mid station to the top. Ummmm... I'm not sure about the downloading, I may have that wrong, maybe there is one trail down...
The official route down is often downloading from the midstation. Often, they try to make all the way down the punches but often they come up short on opening day. Lets just say in the past, the rope policy has been a bit relaxed (at least when they don't have an active groomer on the run).

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

GregoryIsaacs

Correct me if i'm wrong...They are still still putting in towers!? This weather forecast is saying October skiing not major construction! No room for error here

Newpylong

Like most lift installation, they always come to the wire, and over it.

The only lift needed by Thanksgiving is the Snowdon 6 and it will be done by then.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Like most lift installation, they always come to the wire, and over it.

The only lift needed by Thanksgiving is the Snowdon 6 and it will be done by then.

Exactly. This is no surprise as to timing. These are big projects with lots of reviews to complete, contractors, and many moving pieces.

drjeff

My distinct feeling, with the speed that a lift goes together at the end, is that doubters of the Snowdon 6 being completed by Thanksgiving will soon have that "ah ha" moment as the terminal assembly and haul rope stringing gets moving quickly

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app