• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer 2018 Northeast Offseason Improvements

xlr8r

Loon peak is already crowded as is, They cannot put a higher capacity lift in where the gondola is. It is underwhelming though that they stayed with the old style CWA Omega cabins instead of the new ones. CWA does make 4 passenger Omegas with the floor to ceiling windows, Telluride uses some on its Chondola. https://skiliftblog.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/img_0744.jpg Or at least paint the cabins a new color, instead of the same old drab grey. Its as if they do not want people to notice the cabins are new.

What I am really surprised about is that boyne is not upgrading the terminals, towers, hangers, which must be near the end of their lives. Look at what Steamboat recently did with their gondola which is even older than Loon's. They kept the old cabins, but replaced almost everything else, so mechanically it is like a new lift. https://liftblog.com/2017/02/21/steamboat-commits-to-major-gondola-upgrades/

Loon can handle more people on the lower mountain, someday soon it would be nice if they replace 7 Brothers with a detachable quad. This will help shorten the long gondola lines. Even with the new loading carpet, people do not want to use 7 Brother unless the Gondola line is absurdly long.

raisingarizona

I’m more inclined to argue that Loon would be doing more of a disservice to the experience by putting in a bigger gondola. There’s already enough people on the slopes on a busy day, gotta keep some at the base. Trails off the gondola summit aren’t exactly ‘old New England’ style, but aren’t super wide boulevards either.

You want even more getting dropped off at the summit, and hence, on the trails with you? An 8 person gondy would be a shit show, I think. If you’re there on weekend you already should be accepting the normal line situation there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can increase the cabin size but keep the capacity near the same by simply spacing them further apart or running it a little slower.

machski

Loon peak is already crowded as is, They cannot put a higher capacity lift in where the gondola is. It is underwhelming though that they stayed with the old style CWA Omega cabins instead of the new ones. CWA does make 4 passenger Omegas with the floor to ceiling windows, Telluride uses some on its Chondola. https://skiliftblog.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/img_0744.jpg Or at least paint the cabins a new color, instead of the same old drab grey. Its as if they do not want people to notice the cabins are new.

What I am really surprised about is that boyne is not upgrading the terminals, towers, hangers, which must be near the end of their lives. Look at what Steamboat recently did with their gondola which is even older than Loon's. They kept the old cabins, but replaced almost everything else, so mechanically it is like a new lift. https://liftblog.com/2017/02/21/steamboat-commits-to-major-gondola-upgrades/

Loon can handle more people on the lower mountain, someday soon it would be nice if they replace 7 Brothers with a detachable quad. This will help shorten the long gondola lines. Even with the new loading carpet, people do not want to use 7 Brother unless the Gondola line is absurdly long.
Keep dreaming about 7 Brothers. It was suppose to be upped to a HSQ (and the triple moved over to replace East Basin) but that got scratched and a load carpet added. Doubt they spend anything there until South is finally fully built out.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

sull1102

Why bother?
Ever been to Loon and ridden that gondi? It is horrible. They are some of the smallest cabins ever made. Even going to a 6-pax fewer cabins, don't increase capacity (I disagree that the summit is too crowded, you can increase it another 50 skiers an hour and still be okay) and the bigger space would make it a more enjoyable ride.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

Ever been to Loon and ridden that gondi? It is horrible. They are some of the smallest cabins ever made. Even going to a 6-pax fewer cabins, don't increase capacity (I disagree that the summit is too crowded, you can increase it another 50 skiers an hour and still be okay) and the bigger space would make it a more enjoyable ride.

I have been and ridden them. The point was why put in a six person one when those will just be as crowded with 6 people in them and not gain you anything because you have less of them and/or run it slower.

sull1102

I have been and ridden them. The point was why put in a six person one when those will just be as crowded with 6 people in them and not gain you anything because you have less of them and/or run it slower.

Because a 6 person cabin would be significantly more comfortable even with two more people. The overall larger overall area, larger door opening,larger windows, larger skylight, taller ceilings, etc would provide for a much better experience. I rode in 1970's era CWA cabins at Laax that were still larger than these cabins are now. Even going to a full length window would have opened things up a little bit visually. I totally agree with whomever said it is like they did not want anyone to notice the change. They barely advertised it even.

drjeff

Based on what I saw first hand yesterday, either Bromley is replacing the haul rope on their Alpine Double, or it's being removed from service as all the chairs were on the ground over by their magic carpet beginner area out past the Bromley Outing Club building and there currently is no haul rope on the lift towers and base return terminal.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

sull1102

That's not good, they run that lift for the alpine slide and their site claims they're running for another couple weeks into October. Rode it a few weeks ago and everything seemed to be working well.

raisingarizona

You can also run the lift much slower and add more cabins, I've been told this makes a short lift line, fewer people on the slopes and more people actually riding on the lift. Variations on how a lift is set up can create different skiing experiences I guess. Psychologically speaking I bet most people prefer to sit in a comfortable cabin that provides a nice social experience than standing on a long line as well as having less crowded slopes to ski even if the ride up is a little longer.

drjeff

That's not good, they run that lift for the alpine slide and their site claims they're running for another couple weeks into October. Rode it a few weeks ago and everything seemed to be working well.

My bad, I had the name of the lifts flipped in my head! The Alpine lift that goes to mid mountain and serves the alpine slides and Sun Mountain Flyer ride was running as usual. The Sun Chair, that shares common lower towers with the Alpine lift, but goes about 3/4ths of the way up, was the one with the chairs and haul rope off!!

slatham

Based on what I saw first hand yesterday, either Bromley is replacing the haul rope on their Alpine Double, or it's being removed from service as all the chairs were on the ground over by their magic carpet beginner area out past the Bromley Outing Club building and there currently is no haul rope on the lift towers and base return terminal.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

I was told two weeks ago the chairs were off for painting. Haul rope was on at that time.

sull1102

My bad, I had the name of the lifts flipped in my head! The Alpine lift that goes to mid mountain and serves the alpine slides and Sun Mountain Flyer ride was running as usual. The Sun Chair, that shares common lower towers with the Alpine lift, but goes about 3/4ths of the way up, was the one with the chairs and haul rope off!!
Oh good! I was just thinking the absolute last thing Bromley needs or deserves right now is more infrastructure woes.

Smellytele

You can also run the lift much slower and add more cabins, I've been told this makes a short lift line, fewer people on the slopes and more people actually riding on the lift. Variations on how a lift is set up can create different skiing experiences I guess. Psychologically speaking I bet most people prefer to sit in a comfortable cabin that provides a nice social experience than standing on a long line as well as having less crowded slopes to ski even if the ride up is a little longer.

In the scenario given it was stated that there was going to have less cabins so the same capacity. Same amount of people on the rope at any given time. Gets you nothing except 6 smelly people in a cabin instead of 4.

machski

In the scenario given it was stated that there was going to have less cabins so the same capacity. Same amount of people on the rope at any given time. Gets you nothing except 6 smelly people in a cabin instead of 4.
I seriously doubt that the crossarms are wide enough to have appropriate tower clearance for anything greater than a 4 pax cabin. Not to mention the tri-pod towers were reused from the original gondola, so doubt they would be designed for a heavier line load.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app