Summer 2018 Northeast Offseason Improvements - Page 19

AlpineZone

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uphillklimber View Post
    It seems to me that they really need to install a trunk line, capable of their required needs, now and somewhat into the future and hook all the branches to that. A little bit of proper engineering. But that costs money.... And it's not splashy. How many people will say they had snow making before they spent all this money, I don't see any difference.

I mean, they can make the new line they just installed splashy, with some real good snow making this year, folks can and will appreciate that after last year. But how will they get the wow factor for a new trunk line to Jordan?

The river has never factored in labor costs, as far as I can tell, in the original building of the resort. It was, perhaps, my greatest frustration working there. Slowly, they are considering it. Putting in radiant heat in the low deck at Barker with a drain removed tons of labor required to get the snow out of there. The same at South Ridge. It just seems to me they will put off a replacement if the labor costs to patch and keep something running aren't "too high", whoever decides what that is.

Still, with all my complaining, I am pretty happy for the new water main from the pond and am looking forward to better things this season.
    The wow factor for the Jordan line will be when they blow Barker to Jordan simultaneously and Jordan is open by first week of December along with all that usually is by then it will be like Snow's early season wow factor was last year with West lake coming online. They already had good Snowmaking but their huge increase in water push took it to a whole other level and was quite an obvious difference.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

That would be a wow factor, and the property values at the Jordan would go up as well. I was reading the poster, in the elevator no less, that showed some quarter share units are available there for less than $1,000.00 for ownership, no renting. A friend stays there on her quarter share and space available, mid week only (bronze pass) and was never refused a space last season. Jordan is known for wind, but also being the last to open and first to close. That could change....
    lovin life,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by sull1102 View Post
    Agree with everything you listed and then some other moves they have made as well. Some moves make literally no sense, Loon could've just deep cleaned the gondi cabins and waited a few years until they go for a full replacement. Others, like you said just no forward thinking. Why go for a triple in 2018? I honestly think they might have gotten a deal on it because it was some left over stock or something, there just aren't many triples going in these days.
    Boyne had just ordered and installed the same model Triple the year prior to Spruce at Big Sky to replace Challenger. The other issue with going to a quad was there was a ton of ledge they had to blast for the carpet loader vault at Spruce Base terminal. Upping it to a quad width vault would have required new blasting, raising the cost.

On the Kmart website, apparently this is the Season of More. What exactly does this mean: "....additional availability of intermediate trails"
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Attitash has pictures of their crew taking down the Top Notch Double on their FB page this morning. Their social media crew is semi dropping hints that it may be to help make space for a future HS lift installation to the summit.....
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17 (Mount Snow)

I'm not sure it would make sense to run a summit HSQ up the old Hall line. Only way that makes sense is if they move the Yankee base to where the triple is and run it up that line. There wouldn't be enough space to put in a HSQ where the Hall double is/was adjacent to the Yankee base terminal. The liftline cluster would be a mess.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

All Killington's improvements are good news in my book. However this is a slight disappointment especially during mid-winter peak season it would be nice to expect all non-redundant lifts to operate on a daily basis. At least it will still be un-crowded over there on weekends, even with a new lift that pod just doesn't attract heavy traffic, I'm sure it will be uncrowded as it was when the old lift was running.

If Juggernaut is being retired it would be nice to see some tree lines cut to skier's right of Jug over the next period of time. That could make it a real sleeper pod.

Will the South Ridge Quad run every day?
    We anticipate that the South Ridge Quad will operate most weekends and holiday days. We don’t anticipate running the lift during non-holiday midweek periods.

If you think the 6 pack wont be crowded on the weekend then I've got a bridge to sell you! Tourons always flock to the shiny new toys and Killington will be hyping the shit out of it. Fortunately, the crowds at the new 6 pack will ease congestion at other lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by skiur View Post
    If you think the 6 pack wont be crowded on the weekend then I've got a bridge to sell you! Tourons always flock to the shiny new toys and Killington will be hyping the shit out of it. Fortunately, the crowds at the new 6 pack will ease congestion at other lifts.
    That's for sure the way it works at mt snow.... For a lift I seldom ride on weekends/holidays it was an amazing upgrade for the rest of the mountain's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by skiur View Post
    I believe he was referring to the South Ridge pod and quad, not the Snowdon 6.

Thread Information