Jet Blue announces direct flights from Boston to Steamboat - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by p_levert View Post
    Just to make it clear to those that don't know Steamboat, the center of town is not that close to the base of the lifts. If you want town at the base of the lifts, there's Aspen, Park City and Telluride.
    There are lifts within walking distance, just not the ones people are thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Good to know, thanks. Never been but it's always seemed an attractive destination , perhaps friendlier to East coast tree skiers than most Colorado hills. Almost made it there this year on business. Now we got a little girl in the picture and maybe another on the way in the future, main goal (personally) is improving my fitness and technique even as I approach year 40, so at that point I'll hopefully be able to really cash in on destination skiing/vacations with the family.

Figured if I go back to CO it's going to be Steamboat & Winter Park for starters. Only place I've skied in CO was Telluride... and I would go back, but half of the attraction there is the town itself. As for the ski resort, I can see the attraction if you are accustomed to it and willing to ski the extreme terrain. I like to feel my way out before potentially risking injury, and things were a bit firm/crusty when I went. Someone who skis East Coast trees can be intimidated there as much as someone used to bowl skiing will be intimidated by the tight and surfy nature of our Eastern trees. But, it's basically Apres Ski paradise, closest we have out here is Stowe or maybe Lake Placid. Imagine the best of both but condensed into a walkable area, with the lifts within walking distance of the whole town, and a higher density of actually cool bars/restaurants/dispensaries/etc.

Would suck to lose a kid in Telluride though... lol
    Telluride is a tough first mountain to ride in CO. Keystone and Breckenridge are both much flatter in comparison and have good amenities. Then when you're feeling comfortable or the weather is great you get to hit up Arapahoe basin for the gnar. There are some awesome steeps there as well as some extreme spots but I believe still more forgiving than Telluride. I understand the lower risk tolerance once you start a family - I had the same thing happen to me after my first born.

Looking at Steamboat it looks pretty cool and family friendly. The direct flight is a pretty nice perk too.

Quote Originally Posted by p_levert View Post
    Just to make it clear to those that don't know Steamboat, the center of town is not that close to the base of the lifts. If you want town at the base of the lifts, there's Aspen, Park City and Telluride.
    There is a free bus that runs from the ski area to the town if you are lucky enough to stay at a place that is on the route. It worked out great for me. No need to rent a car.

JetBlue is Boston's largest airline?
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    JetBlue is Boston's largest airline?
    By a good amount. Delta is number two.

Thread Information