• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Season Pass Judgement Day

Zand

With Ikon as well as some area passes going up tomorrow, anyone else make up their mind today on what they're doing for passes?

I just bit the bullet on an Ikon base. Thought about going back to a Peaks Pass especially with them being $200 cheaper but although I do miss the shorter ride to Mt Snow, I did enjoy being able to branch out to much better resorts this year with Max. The value of Max was incredible especially being able to add it on to Wachusett for $329. Obviously that deal was too good to last long but I still think there's value in the Ikon, especially with a west trip thrown in. And the addition of Sugarbush was a huge plus. Hate that we got the short end of the stick compared to the west with the unlimited days but it is what it is.

Jully

Ended up with Ikon Base and Peak haha. Turns out if you redeem a whole bunch of tickets you purchased in the fall (3 pack) at once, you can credit it all towards a season pass with Peak. Made the pass too cheap to pass up.

WJenness

I pulled the trigger on Ikon Base.

Hoping to get a Western trip on it next year.

Even if I don't, will still suit me nicely.

-w

Edd

I didn’t get the Ikon. I’m just not certain that I’m going west next year. The Ikon isn’t the no-brainer that the Max was.

Right now all I have is a Peak Traveler for next season.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

elks

Third year with the Peak Pass, which we need for our kids' race lessons at Crotched. Planning a trip to UT for next season so now need to figure out how to do on the "cheap" without an Ikon pass or Mountain Collective.

Edd

I’d love to see the sales figures for Ikon vs. Max at this point in the season.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

speden

I also went with the Ikon base. It has most of the northeast hills I like on it, plus good options for trips west and north in Canada. But I also like day trips to Cannon and Bretton Woods, so I picked up an "Old & Ugly" midweek pass for them.

There's a few places not covered, like WaWa, but I'll just have to pony up for day tickets if I go there.

Edd

But I also like day trips to Cannon and Bretton Woods, so I picked up an "Old & Ugly" midweek pass for them.

Just checked and I see this pass doesn’t price increase until May 31st. It’s nice to have another month to think about getting it. Easy purchase to justify for me.

Edit: Ragged season pass is still $289 until June. I’ve never skied it but it’s only 90 minutes away. Can anyone compare Ragged to Sunapee for me?

Last edited:

speden

Just checked and I see this pass doesn’t price increase until May 31st. It’s nice to have another month to think about getting it. Easy purchase to justify for me.

There was a small perk if you bought the Bold & Beautiful before 4/15 of getting one free day ticket to Cannon or BW for a friend, so I bought early to get that. I see it as similar to stockpiling draft picks for next season to either use or trade.

SkiRay

I created a Facebook poll on this topic

And it looks like the IKON has lost a good number of patrons - though at 2 times the costs (from add-on) I am sure it will do very well.

We passed - though will mull on it for another week or two. $400 dollars more plus tax - we know - sucks. Though we are weighing our options.

Zand

If it wasn't for the west I'd say no way to the Ikon. But that's a good $600+ savings for a week of skiing out there if you hit areas on the pass. Just have to figure out where to go. Do I hit Winter Park and Copper again? Maybe Steamboat this time? Utah? Big Sky? Must be nice being from the west and having this pass.

I'll get my money's worth out of the Killington, Sugarbush, and Maine days. I might even go to Stratton once to remind myself how much I hate it there. Might be a good year to pick up a Vermont 5 pass and get to Stowe, Smuggs, MRG, Jay, and Burke.

SkiRay

. I might even go to Stratton once to remind myself how much I hate it there.

I got asked if my family and I could make Stratton our home mountain, our reply - HELL NO..

Its a fine mountain. I am sure I would enjoy days there, though it's just way to crowded. Way.

Scruffy

Went with the IKON full and Peak Midweek pass.

With two out west trips planned for next season at places on the IKON, not to mention all the days at various places in the East, it's a no brainer, will pay for itself with one of those out west trips.

chuckstah

Peak pass only for me at this point. No brainer as I got it under $6 per day this season. I'll also pick up a Fox 44 card for variety, and may work at a local hill that includes the Freedom Pass.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Peak Ranger per usual and a McIntyre pass. Mc pass to have a super close and cheap place to take my 3 year old and hopefully get some days in at Magic, Black and Whaleback

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Edit: Ragged season pass is still $289 until June. I’ve never skied it but it’s only 90 minutes away. Can anyone compare Ragged to Sunapee for me?

I prefer Ragged to Sunapee by a good bit. Less vertical by a couple hundred feet. Groomers are less interesting as a whole, though I like Showboat and Flying Yankee better than any groomer at Sunapee. Sunapee has a fair number of rolls and turns, while Ragged's main blues have a bulldozed feeling (Exhibition, Newfound Ridge, Lower Ridge). I prefer groomers at Sunapee, but you get more skiing in at Ragged as there are fewer crowds and the lifts are shorter and a bit faster.

However, Ragged has amazing glades when they are open that really make the place shine when open (it is why I prefer it to Sunapee). Also a few smaller, narrow trails (though most of them are short) that are great on a powder day or a non-icy mogul day.

SkiRay

I prefer Ragged to Sunapee by a good bit. Less vertical by a couple hundred feet. Groomers are less interesting as a whole, though I like Showboat and Flying Yankee better than any groomer at Sunapee. Sunapee has a fair number of rolls and turns, while Ragged's main blues have a bulldozed feeling (Exhibition, Newfound Ridge, Lower Ridge). I prefer groomers at Sunapee, but you get more skiing in at Ragged as there are fewer crowds and the lifts are shorter and a bit faster.

However, Ragged has amazing glades when they are open that really make the place shine when open (it is why I prefer it to Sunapee). Also a few smaller, narrow trails (though most of them are short) that are great on a powder day or a non-icy mogul day.

We have been meaning to check out Ragged one day..