• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bra trees

BenedictGomez

Who here feels they have gotten out of control? Used to be there was one bra tree on a mountain, and it had one well placed bra on it. Now, it's every lift line it seems like, and there's half a dozen bras, and beads on every tree up the line and those CD disks. I mean, it just looks like litter now.

I agree.

And I've never understood this or what the point is. It looks like dirty littering that is somehow bizarrely tolerated. The plastic beads are even worse, they can break in relatively no time and then you have plastic bits all over the ground.

VTKilarney

Agreed. Count me as someone who doesn’t find littering to be especially humorous.

Hawk

There are bigger littering issues to tackle in my opinion. I think a designated tree is fine. There are only one maybe 2 at Sugarbush. I also know some of the women that have contributed and if they want to take off their bras and contribute I am totally in. ;-)

jimk

They were funny for about two seasons back around 1995:D:D

Speaking of scarring up a pretty mountainside, as much as I've relied on snowmaking in my life, sometimes when I'm at a ski area with tons of various rigged pole mounted snow guns I step outside of myself and think - what a mess.

tumbler

The bra trees don't bother me. I just often wonder how they get perfectly put in the tree. Does the lift stop for a long time and it's like, hey why not?

What bothers me though are the empties strewn everywhere. You had it in your pocket or backpack when it was full, why can't you put it back in when empty and throw it out instead of dropping it off the chair?

cdskier

What bothers me though are the empties strewn everywhere. You had it in your pocket or backpack when it was full, why can't you put it back in when empty and throw it out instead of dropping it off the chair?

I said the same thing this weekend as I watched from the VH chair at Sugarbush as one of the liftees was hiking down picking up all the litter. It really shouldn't be that difficult to dispose of your own trash properly.

bdfreetuna

When I was a kid I thought bra trees were pretty awesome. Because boobs.

Now I can do without passing by a bunch of soggy A cups, most likely stolen from sister's underwear drawer and hauled up from New Jersey for the Junior Varsity ski team trip.

tumbler

When I was a kid I thought bra trees were pretty awesome. Because boobs.

Now I can do without passing by a bunch of soggy A cups, most likely stolen from sister's underwear drawer and hauled up from New Jersey for the Junior Varsity ski team trip.

I still like boobs

granite

The first one I ever knew of or saw was Chair Five-back bowls in Vail back in the 90's.

BenedictGomez

I think a designated tree is fine. There are only one maybe 2 at Sugarbush.

Why?

Can I designate a "bungee cord tree" and toss a bunch of bungee cords onto a specific lift line tree next year at Sugarbush?

The reality is, the entire thing is moronic, but because people got used to seeing it over the last 20'ish years, they just think, "whatever" now, but it's dumb.

gregnye

The first one I ever knew of or saw was Chair Five-back bowls in Vail back in the 90's.

If that was really the first one, I'm surprised Vail didn't trademark the idea of a "bra tree". :razz:

After all, most of the bowl names and lift names there are trademarked.

bdfreetuna

Vail definitely didn't invent that.

Seen it at Berkshire East all through the 90s.

I have a feeling a lot of NH/MA/NY areas saw this for a while. It's most prevalent at ski team-oriented areas (like B-East) because, guess what, after 9th grade being in possession of a "female bra" (of your age group) becomes a little less exclusive.

Again not surprised NJ has a strong standing in this area. No frickin way this started at Vail.