Fishing 2018 - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing 2018

What lake is this?

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Celebrated opening day weekend of bass season yesterday between 4-9pm. Mike and his wife Alicia joined me.
    Large schools of spawning white perch made fish catching easy with a few in the 1-1.5 lbs range.
    Big fish had to be hunted and were offshore and deep. Had some good largemouth fishing in deep structure off the old weed beds:
    Attachment 23922
    Wound up deep water trolling in 60' areas and got some walleye action going. After both Alicia and I lost a big bite each Mike tied into something that almost took the rod out of his hands. A 10 minute fight ended with the biggest walleye I've ever seen landed:
    Attachment 23923
    Monster fish truly a beast:
    Attachment 23924
    It was nice to succeed on a weird conditions day; very hot and still.

Sodom reservoir also known as the East Branch of the Croton river. The spillway is where 684/84/route 22 meet.

How about this friggin' heat/humidity... We do have Aroostook Country, that is constantly lower than everything else, but it's a drive
    Rather than drive up there I've chosen to grab Moment's Wildcat Tour...custom 108mm width...18/19 ski.....as a gamble on those surprise-dumps(let's all put our hands together and pray...)...
    steve
    SteveD

Last month has been brutal...either blast furnace temps and 100% humidity or thunderstorms.

Haven't been out in the boat much the past 4 weeks. Wading for trout has been good on rainy days.

After getting chased off the water on 8/10 and 8/17 by thunderstorms we finally got a good day conditions wise yesterday.

Interestingly fishing was excellent all 3 days but it is far more relaxing to fish in clear weather than the constant stress of checking radar for supercells containing downpours and lightening. We got lucky last week just missing getting drenched or hit by lightening.

I hear ya'.....have had my share of days being driven off the water to save my skin....
    SteveD

So after a good Friday of bass fishing at Rye Lake we decided to try the East Branch this past Sunday. Mike and his wife Alicia joined me. The bass fishing has been really hit or miss at the EB this season so we decided to head to the river bed area where we have had good Walleye action.
    After fishing the eastern part of the reservoir and catching many white perch and a even few nice bass we headed to the boulder and the Walleye action commenced. Mike landed this beauty at the boulder:
    Wall3.jpg
    We headed to the little island and bang Mike lands another nice one:
    Wall2.jpg
    Now I'm wondering where my nice Walleye is. Turned out it was right around that brushy point behind Mike in that last picture. After watching Mike struggle to unhook his fish in the boat I decided to keep my Walleye in the water and remove the lure there then grab it by the gill plate for a pic. Worked great I got the hooks out of the fish but when I grabbed the gill plate and lifted the fish shook violently and it was gone. Mike snapped a pic of me working to unhook the fish so I got some proof I did catch it:
    Wall1.jpg
    Soon after that Alicia landed another Walleye. She asked me to unhook it and had no interest in holding it for a pic, she just wanted it released unharmed (as all our fish were on this day). These fish were all 7-9 pounds and put up great battles.
    Great day of fishing!

This August and September we became walleye fishermen.
    These walleye were released about 15 years ago and they clearly have established themselves.
    When reservoir levels dropped in mid Sept we learned they stop biting shallow and move back to deep water. Trolling or jigging deep produced.
    An additional plus was that the bass started biting again when the walleye moved out. Really enjoyed becoming successful with a new species but as well as walleye fight pound for pound the smallmouth bass is the best freshwater fighter. Top photo is a nice 4 pounder caught at the East Branch; caught 5 others just like it in about 45 minutes at the same spot. Bottom photo is a Rye Lake smallie about the same size caught this past Friday:
    LI1.jpg
    LI2.jpg
    About 3 more weeks of fishing and I'll pack it in so skiing is right around the corner.

Nice!

SteveD

HA......I had made plans to,in a day or two, wet a line on Moosehead's East Outlet(Kennebec headwaters) for the season closer...that has a late closing date..end of October. Ahhhh, happily the mind & body has rapidly shifted priorities.....
    SteveD

Thread Information