• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Oldest and youngest ages for pass pulled by ski patrol?

Edd

Fanny pack? Instant grounds for removal from a ski area.

My wife keeps joking that a fanny pack is the cure for my cargo shorts but that sounds like madness. I did get a pair of non-cargos in the mail today that I can live with but it will be an adjustment.

skiMEbike

I was 46.....One & only time pass was pulled at the Loaf. Came off 3T (skyline closed), and didn’t feel like hiking the short distance to spillway xcut (had Achilles issues and walking in ski boots is the worse). I didn’t think I was doing anything wrong as ski patrol was in front of me....he proceeded to take his skis off & hike up to spillway patrol shack, while I traversed across the unmarked cross cut trail from top of 3T. As I traversed across Winters Way ski patrol was watching from above (which had a rope acrosss at spillway xcut).... he skis down and claims I was skiing a “closed trail”..... I reply with, “it obvious I am traversing to get over to Gondi”. Argument ensues & basically I give in because it wasn’t worth it for me. Patroller was a rookie just flexing his badge, however one of the lamest pass pullings ever.

Jully

I was 46.....One & only time pass was pulled at the Loaf. Came off 3T (skyline closed), and didn’t feel like hiking the short distance to spillway xcut (had Achilles issues and walking in ski boots is the worse). I didn’t think I was doing anything wrong as ski patrol was in front of me....he proceeded to take his skis off & hike up to spillway patrol shack, while I traversed across the unmarked cross cut trail from top of 3T. As I traversed across Winters Way ski patrol was watching from above (which had a rope acrosss at spillway xcut).... he skis down and claims I was skiing a “closed trail”..... I reply with, “it obvious I am traversing to get over to Gondi”. Argument ensues & basically I give in because it wasn’t worth it for me. Patroller was a rookie just flexing his badge, however one of the lamest pass pullings ever.

Wow, I've done that dozens of times. Always assumed the reason Winters was Roped was just the top pitch had shoddy coverage. I've done that and skied Winters a ton...

danimals

Never got caught, but ducked ropes with ski patrol during that October 05 storm at killington.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Zand

Somehow never got my pass pulled at wachusett when I was younger. Got talked to by ski patrol probably 20 times over the years...speeding on conifer, skiing in the woods, straight lining the flat the bottom of Conifer (oh the horror) and as recently as 3 years ago tried jumping over a caution sign and knocked it down and got a stern talking to. Guess I always had to find a way to make some kind of fun there. I've finally grown up lol. But just don't be a dick to the patrollers when they come to talk to you and they'll let you go. They get a bad rap but dealing with the clientele there would make me a scrooge too.

Usually don't do stupid things at other places so never had an issue anywhere else.

shwilly

Are cargo shorts uncool?

According to people who care about such things, yes, and they have to tell you all about it. It seems like everything that's comfortable and practical is declared uncool by someone, but cargo shorts prompt particular fervor.

Once I was reading an article about how horribly uncool cargo shorts were and what a stupid undateable shlub you'd be if you wore them. It suggested more "stylish" alternatives such as...jorts with rolled cuffs. For a grown man.

I was struck as if by a bolt from the blue. Cargo shorts haters wanted to put me in rolled-cuff jorts! I could safely ignore all opinions like this for all time. I have, and I am pleased to report that my love life has been just fine.

Sometimes I even wear cargo shorts with Tevas! Hate on, haters. I've never ducked a rope in cargo shorts, though.

benski

According to people who care about such things, yes, and they have to tell you all about it. It seems like everything that's comfortable and practical is declared uncool by someone, but cargo shorts prompt particular fervor.

You could by the same shorts without the cargo pockets. They are just as comfortable, unless you actually used those cargo pocket, in which case what are you schlepping around?

Hawk

You know, people actually suck. Yup the cats out of the bag. So with that said, do whatever the F*ck you want. Who cares what people think, wear what you want. Hell wear nothing at all and say to yourself......F*ck those people! It's not my problem that people are so insecure that they have to give people crap about what they wear. I don't ever know what the term "haters" is. Those people can go f*ck themselves also. HA!

Smellytele

You could by the same shorts without the cargo pockets. They are just as comfortable, unless you actually used those cargo pocket, in which case what are you schlepping around?

The thing that I did like about cargo shorts were the pockets that you could either button or zip to keep things from falling out. Don't like my phone or keys in my back pocket or upper front pockets. Liked the lower on the leg pocket to put the phone.

Riverskier

Never had a pass pulled, but had one close call. Early season at Sunday River years ago, Flying Monkey was supposed to be open, but Jordan was on windhold, so they had it roped off. They were running the Jordan Double though, so I knew I could hit it, and get back to Aurora. Amazing run with fresh powder, but after exiting the glade and while heading down to the lift, a patroller on a snowboard flies up and says something to the effect of "what do you think you are doing?". He then passes me, presumably to beat me to the base, so he could confront me about it before I got on the lift, but it happened that his back pack was open. Stuff started flying out, a sandwich among other items. He realized it and stopped ahead of me. I briefly considered continuing on in hopes he would choose to retrieve his stuff over reprimanding me, but decided to do the right thing and pick all of his stuff up for him. The right thing to do, and I figured he would have to be a real dick to pull my pass after that! He was appreciative and basically just said "don't do it again". We even briefly discussed how great the glade was skiing!

2Planker

Hmmmmm. That was me !
In over 20 years I think I pulled 2 passes. One was a 68 year old guy throwing his beer can off white heat lift, after several times having his pass pulled for other infractions. The other was a 12 year old who jumped off the Aurora lift "to see how deep the powder was". Both were season passes....

Probably had 50-100 conversations w/ folks over the years about why I should pull your pass, BUT usually decided to let them off w/ a warning. A lil kindness and a stern warning goes a LOT farther than just being a dick :grin:

Never had a pass pulled, but had one close call. Early season at Sunday River years ago, Flying Monkey was supposed to be open, but Jordan was on windhold, so they had it roped off. They were running the Jordan Double though, so I knew I could hit it, and get back to Aurora. Amazing run with fresh powder, but after exiting the glade and while heading down to the lift, a patroller on a snowboard flies up and says something to the effect of "what do you think you are doing?". He then passes me, presumably to beat me to the base, so he could confront me about it before I got on the lift, but it happened that his back pack was open. Stuff started flying out, a sandwich among other items. He realized it and stopped ahead of me. I briefly considered continuing on in hopes he would choose to retrieve his stuff over reprimanding me, but decided to do the right thing and pick all of his stuff up for him. The right thing to do, and I figured he would have to be a real dick to pull my pass after that! He was appreciative and basically just said "don't do it again". We even briefly discussed how great the glade was skiing!