• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anyone want to move to VT?

speden

In regards to 89, I don't think you will see the limit raised like it has been on 93 due to safety concerns. IIRC NH looked at raising 89 to 70 as well and determined it had too many areas where travel will be unsafe at faster average speeds. 89 in VT has even more hills and turns, so it would suprise me to see that limit raised.

I don't mind if the limit drops here and there for a tight turn or urban stretch, but a limit of 70 on the open stretches is sure nice. I get five days at Sugarbush and Killington next season on the Ikon base, and I need to get there as quickly as possible to help the Vermont economy. :) I'd settle for a special pass that would exempt me from speeding tickets, but I guess impersonating an officer isn't legal. Oh well.

I got a ticket for doing 73 in that section of 93 that the limit is 70.

That's disconcerting. I thought going 75 in a 70 was pretty much accepted, so I kind of zone out and don't watch for police cars. I guess they love to go after out of state people because they won't fight it in court.

abc

Generally speaking, low-tax states are doing better). And take a look at Business Insider (link below), which puts out this best/worst states to start a business every year; with a few exceptions, typically the high tax states are all ranked 25 to 50 in the back half of the nation.
Right!

California is #27 while Navada is #2.

Tell me Navada is having more new "real" business than California! Funny thing is, despite being rank so poorly, "California holds the No. 4 position for the highest rate of new entrepreneurs and No. 6 for density of startups in the U.S." (That's from that very same article that did the "ranking", if you actually read it)

[Hint: my last "corporation" for my freelance work was technically BASE IN Navada! And the previous one was in Delaware!!! Why? The "low" tax rate. Haha! ;)]

There's nothing "profound" in what I wrote. It's stuff anyone who's half way involved in business knows. Shame not more people know about it. Or we won't have this clown as a president, based on his "stellar business success"! :)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Right!

California is #27 while Navada is #2.

Tell me Navada is having more new "real" business than California! Funny thing is, despite being rank so poorly, "California holds the No. 4 position for the highest rate of new entrepreneurs and No. 6 for density of startups in the U.S." (That's from that very same article that did the "ranking", if you actually read it)

[Hint: my last "corporation" for my freelance work was technically BASE IN Navada! And the previous one was in Delaware!!! Why? The "low" tax rate. Haha! ;)]

There's nothing "profound" in what I wrote. It's stuff anyone who's half way involved in business knows. Shame not more people know about it. Or we won't have this clown as a president, based on his "stellar business success"! :)

That is deceiving because a lot of HUGE corporations are in CA...particularly in tech...and they recruit a lot of talent that will leave and start up their own businesses in their backyard. Once they get to a certain size they then move and expand to another state that generally is lower expense. Like Utah.

Smellytele

No way to fight it since its far enough North that its not worth the time. Ticket cost was small (120$? - can't remember) but its sitting on my insurance record now and would seriously raise my rates if I get another ticket in the next 3-4 years.

I am more of the go 80 in a 70. Passed cops and they don't even blink. so it is $40 per mph over the speed limit - yikes.

Hawk

There is something fishy about what he is saying. The state police do not pull you over for 3 mph over. They just don't and I know this as a fact. Either the speed limit was lower, He was actually driving faster, he had a tail light out or was driving erratically. Something.

VTKilarney

As for Vermont's speed limit, even if you buy that I-89 isn't appropriate for 70 mph (which I don't), what about I-91?

BenedictGomez

Not entirely True in Mass. We have a Republican Governor Charlie Baker. In fact our state has elected a republican Governors more than once recently. At any rate the tax credits to several large companies have benefited our state immensely with job growth. We are just waiting for our conservative leader to bring the taxes down and then everybody is happy. Someone else mentioned Fidelity but they are not a good example as they have been moving operations out of Mass to NH, RI, NC and TX over the last 15 years.

MA is one of the anomalies of a "high tax state" that's actually not doing poorly in that regard, but it's more complicated than that given precisely what you wrote. It is a high tax state, but they've been giving lots of benefits to businesses. So MA doesnt suffer from the typical "tax everyone and everything until it dies" phenomena that other northeastern states do.

Wow, that's a jerk cop (or the 31st of the month in a town with quotas).

Right! California is #27 while Navada is #2.

You do realize that while California is one of the largest states in America, something like 150,000 square miles, yet it you removed the tax receipts from Silicon Valley, which is probably only a few thousand square miles, California would sink into a Lord of the Flies or Hunger Games level of deprivation? Really not the best example you could toss out.

The irony is, California is the biggest example of income inequality in all of America, which is quite the retina-burning, hyper-obvious display of hypocrisy given the general proclivities of both the elected and the electorate. It's also a state a lot of people are moving from due to the high taxes & lack of affordability, most of who are going to places like Arizona, Texas, and (yes) Nevada.

BenedictGomez

As for Vermont's speed limit, even if you buy that I-89 isn't appropriate for 70 mph (which I don't), what about I-91?

I-89 not appropriate for 70 mph? I-89 seems like the autobahn to me.

It's a road that's constantly kept in perfect condition due to the fact Vermont doesn't have highways to spend money on, yet receives the same level of Federal support as every other state does, as well as the fact that so few people live in Vermont that it's a ghost town. I do Mach 2.0 on I-89, and IMO it's one of the most fun roads to drive east of the Mississippi. Pretty scenery too!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Can't seem to find an article explaining why it didn't pass, but in NH it was proposed in 2014 and the limits haven't changed.

https://patch.com/new-hampshire/concord-nh/higher-speed-limits-on-route-101-i89

As for 91? I'd say 70 mph is fine North of White River. I was flying from STJ to White River just yesterday as I was late for a meeting and there's a lot of long straight stretches with good visibility. South of there the conditions are a bit less safe in a lot of areas

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

tumbler

The speed limit on 89 in NH & VT should be 70. I consistently drive 78-82ish and am moving with traffic. I also get passed a lot. I've done the drive many hundreds of times and pretty much know where the cops sit. What has been pissing me off in NH is the airplane speeding ticket. We know where and when they do it so we pay attention but we are sometimes doing the drive like Ray Liotta in Goodfellas getting followed by the helicopter.

deadheadskier

Staff member
How the hell did we get to what the speed limit should be on I-89, 91, and 93?!
Speden made a comment about how tourism is so vital to the economy in VT, the state should ease up on traffic enforcement and raise the limit like on 93 in NH. I.e. traffic enforcement is hurting the VT economy as it turns people off from visiting

ShadyGrove

The VT GDP is roughly 30 Billion a year. The state has significant annual budgetary issues. The state is looking at the federal government wanting to bring their F-35 jet base to Burlington with an estimated 3 Billion added to the VT economy from both direct and indirect jobs and investment.

Do you have some sources to back this up? Best sources I could find has VT GDP under $25B and even proponents state the impact of the F-35 project around $212mil.

Smellytele

I-89 not appropriate for 70 mph? I-89 seems like the autobahn to me.

It's a road that's constantly kept in perfect condition due to the fact Vermont doesn't have highways to spend money on, yet receives the same level of Federal support as every other state does, as well as the fact that so few people live in Vermont that it's a ghost town. I do Mach 2.0 on I-89, and IMO it's one of the most fun roads to drive east of the Mississippi. Pretty scenery too!

I am assuming the fed gives states funds for maintenance for interstate highway based on miles of highway.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Speden made a comment about how tourism is so vital to the economy in VT, the state should ease up on traffic enforcement and raise the limit like on 93 in NH. I.e. traffic enforcement is hurting the VT economy as it turns people off from visiting

I figured. I was half-joking.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

abc

That is deceiving because a lot of HUGE corporations are in CA...particularly in tech...and they recruit a lot of talent that will leave and start up their own businesses in their backyard. Once they get to a certain size they then move and expand to another state that generally is lower expense. Like Utah.
The question is, how did all those HUGE corporations got to CA in the first place? Did California had such low tax rate that they moved there? Or did they all STARTED there because the business climate was more important than the tax rate?

abc

You do realize that while California is one of the largest states in America, something like 150,000 square miles, yet it you removed the tax receipts from Silicon Valley, which is probably only a few thousand square miles, California would sink into a Lord of the Flies or Hunger Games level of deprivation?
So what?

If you take out Silicon Valley, Seattle, Boston, New York, the country of United State "would sink into a Lord of the Flies or Hunger Games level of deprivation"!

Is that a better example you'd like to use?

Domeskier

Street carts, Chinatown, Washington Height... depends on where my office is and where my commute takes me.

Of course I don't shop in the overpriced "supermarket"! The only thing "super" about them are their prices! (although WholeFood's sale items are surprisingly competitive in price, and similarly at Trader Joe's and Fairway for some specialty item not found on other places)

Shop in ethnic or minority run shops or better yet, street carts man by Egyptians or Haitians. Food and grocery are often fresher and reasonably priced.

Getting healthy food options into Manhattan takes money that adds to the cost of goods sold. This is on top of the premium added by exhorbitant rents. I suppose you might be surprised by the price of food in Manhattan if you are unrealistically expecting to pay Vail prices for a slice of pizza. However, to suggest that food in Manhattan is inexpensive is demonstrably false and insulting to the large number of people here who live on fast food because they cannot afford fruits and vegetables from their local grocers, “ethnic” or otherwise.

abc

insulting to the large number of people here who live on fast food because they cannot afford fruits and vegetables
Insulting? If they can afford the rent of Manhattan, they can afford the fruit and vegetables.

Living IN Manhattan is a choice not a necessity. What "large number" who lived in Manhattan can't afford fruit and vegetable? And what "fast food" would be cheaper to sustain them? Pizza? Chinese take-outs? Or grill sausages?

I commuted into Manhattan to work while lived in Queens. (before I moved into Manhattan and lived there for some years) And I now commute into Manhattan from Westchester. I know quite well how to live in Manhattan vs in the suburbs.

I now buy fruits and vegetable FROM Manhattan Chinatown on Friday to eat on weekends in Westchester. I was amused to see half of the people buying vegetables in Chinatown are non-Chinese. When I used to commute past Washington Height, I bought fruits from Mexican merchants on street carts, for less than my local grocery store. Again, I wasn't the only non-Latino in the shops/markets either. (I still sometimes asked my colleague who lived in Washington Height to buy specific fruit from his neighborhood fruit carts too)

Last edited: