• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anyone want to move to VT?

slatham

Acccording to that link, cost of living isn’t that low in Florida either. Maybe you’ll rethink Florida? ;)

But there is no state income tax in Florida. Bit different in VT! I actually hope to move to VT in a few years, and hopefully work remotely, and I will gladly take any VT provided cash to help in the process!

benski

New Jersey is positively beautiful, it's the politicians who have destroyed the place and made it unlivable & intolerable.

You are insane. Do you find giant malls and big box stores, with giant parking lots connecting by wide, porthole laden highways with rustling overpasses attractive or something.

x10003q

Acccording to that link, cost of living isn’t that low in Florida either. Maybe you’ll rethink Florida? ;)

Really?
2017 Vermont 120.7
2017 Florida 100.4
That is a big difference.

FYI - 2017 NJ 121.2 - a rounding error larger than VT

Don't get sick in VT , either.
No income tax in FL
Lower property taxes in Florida

cdskier

I don't quite understand the value in looking at a COL comparison by state. If the values account for housing (which that website says it does), then looking at the "state" level is too broad in my opinion. Even in a state with a higher COL, there are still places within that state that are cheaper (the COL for NYC is vastly different than the COL for living in pretty much anywhere else in the state). At the state level, NY is higher than NJ on that list for example, yet I know people that moved to Orange county NY because housing was more affordable than where they wanted to be in Bergen county NJ. You need to compare local data for your specific scenario.

Also keep in mind that on that list a score of "100" is the baseline for the national average. To put it another way, Florida is basically at the national average while VT is 20% above average and Utah is 6% below average (although again I see little point in taking these numbers as gospel anyway).

tumbler

The seasonal economy and employment is a difficult hurdle to get over. The ski areas create a significant amount of jobs from Dec-March but then what are you supposed to do for work? There are only so many landscaping and food service jobs out there. I think there is also the lack of motivation to work. Some people are happy with what they have and where they are. It's all relative.

Jcb890

Really?
2017 Vermont 120.7
2017 Florida 100.4
That is a big difference.

FYI - 2017 NJ 121.2 - a rounding error larger than VT

Don't get sick in VT , either.
No income tax in FL
Lower property taxes in Florida

I'd love to see the link with the full list of states. Did I miss it earlier in the thread?

Hawk

Perception, Perception. It amazes me how vastly different people feel about where they live and other places to live. Some have strong opinions about places that they only visit on occasion. I personally think that all of the states up here in the North East are beautiful and there are places in each that I would love to live. I am basically blessed where I live now which is where I always lived my entire life. 5 miles from my birthplace. It an ocean side community north of Boston but has large rural areas all around. I would not live anywhere else.

But my second love is VT and I spend probably 1/4 of my time each year up there on average. There is no doubt, the taxes are extremely high as a second home owner in Warren VT. We get killed and there seems to be no relief in site. But even with that we really love it up there. It is the sense of community, the hard working positive people, the belief that any issue can be conquered by joining together. My wife and I have been up there for about 18 years now and are firmly entrenched in the community. It's the really kind and engaging people on top of the rural beauty that make us want to move. It's what most people move there for in the first place. It is not something that you would understand by working the bargain tickets and being up there a few times a year. You have to join in and become part of it to understand. It is certainly special. Now we are part of the ski community, the mountain bike and road bike community and also the music community and we spend time with these people doing all kinds of other things.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It is the sense of community, the hard working positive people, the belief that any issue can be conquered by joining together. My wife and I have been up there for about 18 years now and are firmly entrenched in the community. It's the really kind and engaging people on top of the rural beauty that make us want to move. It's what most people move there for in the first place. It is not something that you would understand by working the bargain tickets and being up there a few times a year. You have to join in and become part of it to understand. It is certainly special. Now we are part of the ski community, the mountain bike and road bike community and also the music community and we spend time with these people doing all kinds of other things.

This is what I miss most. But I will say that in a lot of places this was disappearing due to a lot of people who valued this community spirit and created it leaving.

BenedictGomez

I've seen a little of New Jersey, from Cape May to Sandy Hook, from Atlantic City to Princeton, and from Trenton to Boonton. The hills of Sparta. Morristown, Caldwell, the Throughway and the Turnpike. I have to say though, when someone says New Jersey, I think of 2 things - smokestack Newark and 27 lane highways.

Everyone does*. For those of us living in the rural parts of the state, what's fine with us! Keep them thinking that way.

You are insane. Do you find giant malls and big box stores, with giant parking lots connecting by wide, porthole laden highways with rustling overpasses attractive or something.

*Here's just two examples! lol

BenedictGomez

I don't quite understand the value in looking at a COL comparison by state........ Even in a state with a higher COL, there are still places within that state that are cheaper

You can easily look at C.O.L. by city and region too if you like, the B.L.S. captures that data as well.

BenedictGomez

I lived in NJ for a number of years. Can you describe these so-called "rural areas"?

Where did you live that you would be incapable of answering that question yourself? I'm going to guess within 35 minutes of the city.

Sussex County, Warren County, Hunterdon County, big chunks of interior South Jersey, are all rural. There are parts of north Jersey that are as much of more "rural" than much of Vermont.

HowieT2

just a thought about taxes, COL and business friendly "attitude" as it relates to population growth. I think we can all agree that NYC is pretty far down on the list in all those areas. For many years these factors were cited as the cause of the population flight to the suburbs to the detriment of the city itself. However, NYC is now experiencing incredible growth. I believe I saw a statistic that in the last decade NYC has added more residents than the entire population of Boston or san francisco. There is no argument, NYC is booming and not just Manhattan, but Brooklyn, Queens and the bronx as well. neither taxes nor col have gone down. So, I think its fair to say there is more to why people want to live in a given place, than taxes, col and business attitude. without venturing into the reasons, it appears young people want to live and work in walkable communities.

abc

News sources loves numbers. Because they don't have to do any real reporting, just grab a set of census numbers and paint whatever picture they want.

NYC actually has a thriving retiree scene. Shocking? Yep! Because when your eyesight and reflex fails and can't drive safely any more, a city that is 100% served by public transport (bus/subway) is VERY desirable! Granted, you have to be able to afford it. And not surprisingly, your 1/2 million house in the suburb only buys you a studio in Brooklyn! On the other hand, how much space do you REALLY need? Perhaps a small apartment with elevator is exactly what you want after all?

Food is surprisingly inexpensive in NYC. Take away the expenditure of car payment, gas money, lawn care, snow shovel, you may JUST find you can swing a small place in an easily accessible city with top notch hospitals.

To each their own. The "ranking" assumes you want what others want (keeping up with the jones' anyone?). It never fail to account for individual taste and requirements.

x10003q

Yes, really.

Florida is about the same as Pennsylvania! Or Colorado, Delaware, Virginia!

Not to mention, higher than Utah!!!

The thread is about moving to Vermont, possibly for retirement. I guess you missed those comments.

There are plenty of places in the 4 states you mention and many other states that are as affordable as Florida. Florida happens to have weather that many people find appealing along with affordable homes with easy access to beaches that can be used year around. People choosing to retire in VT are a fraction of people choosing to retire in Florida. This is one more reason why Vermont is having financial difficulties.

Smellytele

The thread is about moving to Vermont, possibly for retirement. I guess you missed those comments.

There are plenty of places in the 4 states you mention and many other states that are as affordable as Florida. Florida happens to have weather that many people find appealing along with affordable homes with easy access to beaches that can be used year around. People choosing to retire in VT are a fraction of people choosing to retire in Florida. This is one more reason why Vermont is having financial difficulties.

Retired people are not why they are having difficulties. Lack of Working age, tax paying people is the reason.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Retired folks is not what Vermont needs. And it is not at all what the program is for.