• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anyone want to move to VT?

Domeskier

Insulting? If they can afford the rent of Manhattan, they can afford the fruit and vegetables.

I commuted into Manhattan to work while lived in Queens. And I now commute into Manhattan from Westchester. Living IN Manhattan is a choice not a necessity.

I buy fruits and vegetable FROM Manhattan Chinatown on Friday to eat on weekends in Westchester. When I used to commute past Washington Height, I guy fruits from Mexican merchants on street carts, for less than my local grocery store.

Insulting and myopic. Not everyone living in Manhattan is paying market rent. The fact that you are able to pay less for food in their neighborhoods than at some local grocer in Westchester must be of great comfort to them.

Jully

The speed limit on 89 in NH & VT should be 70. I consistently drive 78-82ish and am moving with traffic. I also get passed a lot. I've done the drive many hundreds of times and pretty much know where the cops sit. What has been pissing me off in NH is the airplane speeding ticket. We know where and when they do it so we pay attention but we are sometimes doing the drive like Ray Liotta in Goodfellas getting followed by the helicopter.

Heard a number of complaints about the airplane traps. I've seen them on 95, before Sunapee on 89, amd between WV and Loon on93. Is there a timeline for when these happen? Seems to be expanding over the past few years too.

BenedictGomez

So what? If you take out Silicon Valley, Seattle, Boston, New York, the country of United State "would sink into a Lord of the Flies or Hunger Games level of deprivation"!

Is that a better example you'd like to use?

No; it just helps show more how you really arent aware of how critical Silicon Valley is to the economics of California; it's the only thing keeping that bat**** crazy, completely financially insane and irresponsible state from going belly-up.

If you remove the city of Boston from MA, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts could still function. If you removed Silicon Valley from CA, the state would look like an apocalyptic biblical "end of days", with violence, crime, fire, and everything short of cannibalism.

Insulting and myopic. Not everyone living in Manhattan is paying market rent. The fact that you are able to pay less for food in their neighborhoods than at some local grocer in Westchester must be of great comfort to them.

To think, all I had to do to lower my Manhattan grocery bills was to buy all my food off the outdoor Chinatown & Mexican roach coaches!

But the most tone deaf part of the post is believing that the poor people in Manhattan are paying fair market rate. That was a howler right there. Jeez, even I'm more "woke" than that, and I'm not exactly what one would call the sensitive and overly compassionate type! lol

BenedictGomez

I'd love to see the rate-of-return on running "airplane traps" on highways.

Just how the hell much does a speeding ticket cost in New Hampshire?!?!?!

Domeskier

To think, all I had to do to lower my Manhattan grocery bills was to buy all my food off the outdoor Chinatown & Mexican roach coaches!

But the most tone deaf part of the post is believing that the poor people in Manhattan are paying fair market rate. That was a howler right there. Jeez, even I'm more "woke" than that, and I'm not exactly what one would call the sensitive and overly compassionate type! lol

Let them eat (reasonably priced) lychee!

mbedle

I-89 not appropriate for 70 mph? I-89 seems like the autobahn to me.

It's a road that's constantly kept in perfect condition due to the fact Vermont doesn't have highways to spend money on, yet receives the same level of Federal support as every other state does, as well as the fact that so few people live in Vermont that it's a ghost town. I do Mach 2.0 on I-89, and IMO it's one of the most fun roads to drive east of the Mississippi. Pretty scenery too!

Are you sure about the Federal funding? In 2015, Vermont received 291 million in funding, compared to say Texas getting 3.4 billion.

Hawk

This thread is very interesting because it has opinions and perspectives from a wide range of age groups and geographical locations. But if you take a step back and think about what people are saying about living in VT, I find it comical the talk about costs and the general tone of frugality. The majority of people on here are people that work good jobs and live fairly comfortably. They ski a bunch and also do other things that are voluntary cash spending items. Skiing is expensive. Living in the city is expensive. When I hear people actually stop at carts to shop produce to save what, a few dollars? I just kills me. If you live an expensive life style then own it. Complaining about taxes and expensive lift tickets is certainly a first world problem. Just a thought to ponder.

I have taken to the opinion that life is short and I am not going to die a rich man. I plan to spend every last dime now while I have good health and mobility.

Scruffy

This thread is very interesting because it has opinions and perspectives from a wide range of age groups and geographical locations. But if you take a step back and think about what people are saying about living in VT, I find it comical the talk about costs and the general tone of frugality. The majority of people on here are people that work good jobs and live fairly comfortably. They ski a bunch and also do other things that are voluntary cash spending items. Skiing is expensive. Living in the city is expensive.

... life is short ...

And choosing to live in a highly taxed, small state with less opportunities, but close to skiing or other outdoor activities, can be expensive, but the peace of mind and quality of life(subjective, of course) are trade-offs some are willing to make if they have the means or creativity to figure out how to manage there; others do the 7-8 hour drive a few times a year and call it good, or bitch about it.

Getting back on topic:

Vermont has shown a glimmer of hope with respect to new small entrepreneurs in 2017 over 2016. Vermont is still about dead last in attracting venture capital and growing big businesses though.

Among the twenty-five smallest states, the three thatexperienced the biggest increase in ranks in 2017were Connecticut, Vermont, and Kansas. The threethat experienced the biggest negative shifts in rank in2017 compared to 2016 were Hawaii, Rhode Island,and Delaware.
https://www.kauffman.org/kauffman-index/reporting/startup-activity

MEtoVTSkier

I'd love to see the rate-of-return on running "airplane traps" on highways.

Just how the hell much does a speeding ticket cost in New Hampshire?!?!?!

Works well in FL, they got me one morning on the way to the airport.

"A fleet of seven Cessna fixed-wing aircraft patrol the skies above Florida, delivering over 45,000 citations per year, with about 38,000 of those being speeding tickets."

Supposedly about $150/hr for cost of the plane...

Kleetus

Works well in FL, they got me one morning on the way to the airport.

"A fleet of seven Cessna fixed-wing aircraft patrol the skies above Florida, delivering over 45,000 citations per year, with about 38,000 of those being speeding tickets."

Supposedly about $150/hr for cost of the plane...

$150 an hour for the airplane cost is about right. That's about the going rate for small single-engine piston rental aircraft these days.

FYI, NY state has a fleet of speed trap aircraft also. Don't see them much but every once in a while they are out there flying along the Thruway.

abc

No; it just helps show more how you really arent aware of how critical Silicon Valley is to the economics of California; it's the only thing keeping that bat**** crazy, completely financially insane and irresponsible state from going belly-up.
And that comes from someone who had live in California for how long?

Wake up! This entire country is lifted by those few "islands" for the last 20 years! But too many people are too blind to see it.

Keep alive your dream of bucolic pastures without smokestacks. It will only be a reality when you have high tech islands like that of Silicon Valley. As for the rest of the COUNTRY, it's up to you to figure out what the local youth should do. I certainly don't have a solution for that. But I know trying to hold back the tide of change and turning back the clock is a sure way to fail.

BenedictGomez

Let them eat (reasonably priced) lychee!

I cant wait to learn about the thrifty, money-saving tactics the poor of Manhattan employ for their sushi.

Supposedly about $150/hr for cost of the plane

Interesting info. I wonder what it is all-in, plane, pilot, etc...

CoolMike

There is something fishy about what he is saying. The state police do not pull you over for 3 mph over. They just don't and I know this as a fact. Either the speed limit was lower, He was actually driving faster, he had a tail light out or was driving erratically. Something.

All not true. EVERYONE on the road was getting pulled over. Cops were standing outside of their cruiser with the radar and a second and third cruiser were ahead by 1/4 mile or so. Another cop was between the two cruisers just waiving people to pull over. I saw probably 5-6 cars pass while I was pulled over and 3 of them also got flagged. All of us got tickets as far as I can tell.

Believe what you want but this happened to me. I'm a normal driver with a well kept car and I was even using cruise control at the time I got flagged.

CoolMike

I am more of the go 80 in a 70. Passed cops and they don't even blink. so it is $40 per mph over the speed limit - yikes.

I don't think it was specifically 40 per MPH over - I think there is a base fee for any amount over the limit and then at a certain point you pay per mile over. I don't recall the exact amount but it was not too expensive for a speeding ticket.

Hawk

All not true. EVERYONE on the road was getting pulled over. Cops were standing outside of their cruiser with the radar and a second and third cruiser were ahead by 1/4 mile or so. Another cop was between the two cruisers just waiving people to pull over. I saw probably 5-6 cars pass while I was pulled over and 3 of them also got flagged. All of us got tickets as far as I can tell.

Believe what you want but this happened to me. I'm a normal driver with a well kept car and I was even using cruise control at the time I got flagged.

Mike, The only reason I have my doubts is that I drive that stretch every weekend from November to May, Friday night up and Sunday night back. I drive at least 75 with he cruise on and sometime faster. I have never had an issue. (know on Wood). Also I have 3 relatives that are state police, one in NH and their consensus is that 10 over is the usual threshold. I guess I will chalk yours up to bad luck.

CoolMike

Mike, The only reason I have my doubts is that I drive that stretch every weekend from November to May, Friday night up and Sunday night back. I drive at least 75 with he cruise on and sometime faster. I have never had an issue. (know on Wood). Also I have 3 relatives that are state police, one in NH and their consensus is that 10 over is the usual threshold. I guess I will chalk yours up to bad luck.

Yes - for sure it was bad luck. I do think it had to do with the relatively recent change to the speed limit along that stretch of road. I got this ticket the same year they changed the limit (3-4 years ago?).

VTKilarney

Fair warning - I drove the length of I-93 today and back. There were TONS of police patrolling the interstate. Laconia bike week starts this weekend, which would explain the police presence.

Domeskier

I cant wait to learn about the thrifty, money-saving tactics the poor of Manhattan employ for their sushi.

The people fishing in the East River need to set up sushi carts along the Harlem River drive so the folks commuting up to Westchester can pat themselves on the back for adventuring to “ethnic” businesses while getting the cheapest and freshest sushi in all of Manhattan....

JimG.

Staff member
This thread is very interesting because it has opinions and perspectives from a wide range of age groups and geographical locations. But if you take a step back and think about what people are saying about living in VT, I find it comical the talk about costs and the general tone of frugality. The majority of people on here are people that work good jobs and live fairly comfortably. They ski a bunch and also do other things that are voluntary cash spending items. Skiing is expensive. Living in the city is expensive. When I hear people actually stop at carts to shop produce to save what, a few dollars? I just kills me. If you live an expensive life style then own it. Complaining about taxes and expensive lift tickets is certainly a first world problem. Just a thought to ponder.

I have taken to the opinion that life is short and I am not going to die a rich man. I plan to spend every last dime now while I have good health and mobility.

Finally a voice of reason. Right on!