• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Purchases Okemo, Sunapee, Crested Butte, and Stevens Pass

BenedictGomez

Vail Resorts will, subject to approval, assume the state land leases for Okemo Mountain Resort

Watch for State of Vermont to try to use this as an opportunity to loathsomely stick it's paw into Vail's pockets.

Jully

If you're going to be in the publicly traded ski company business, geographical diversification is both wise & prudent.

It wouldn't shock me if one of Vail's next purchases is European; what does shock me is that they haven't already done so.

I selfishly would love a South American offering too as I would love to get down there in the next few years. The false prospect of it being "free" with my pass is all the more motivation to go.

Jully

Watch for State of Vermont to try to use this as an opportunity to loathsomely stick it's paw into Vail's pockets.

I remember the same caveat for Stowe's addition. I forget if anything came up with that and slowed down the process. Anyone remember?

mbedle

Believe of not, they did not do anything substantial to the lease when they transferred it from Stowe to Vail (still pending final resolution approval). Cleaned up a couple of issues and outdated clauses. They did add in that the 5% rental fee would also apply to the tree-top and zip line, which Mansfield Co was already paying for in prior years. Here is a link to the resolution:

https://legislature.vermont.gov/ass...R.S. 48 As adopted by the Senate Official.pdf

http://auditor.vermont.gov/sites/auditor/files/documents/Final SAO Report on Ski Resort Leases.pdf

https://legislature.vermont.gov/ass...t 75/W~Michael Snyder~Memorandum~2-6-2018.pdf

LItoCOtoMA

Ok, something's are wrong with your post. First, Stratton is not a limited resort on Ikon, it is a full resort. Subject to blackout dates on the base but unlimited on Ikon. Not sure how Okemo and Sunapee will be on local vs full Epic regarding blackouts Epic site is down currently). As to the day limits at Loon on Ikon, its 5 on base and 7 on Full Ikon. Not sure what they would buy to compete with Sunapee that is in good financial shape for Boston day market. None of the remaining areas leap out at me.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was making an Ikon Base vs. Epic Local comparison. On Ikon Base Stratton is limited to 5 days w/blackouts. On Epic Local Okemo is unlimited, no blackouts. I think, there is a good chance Alterra opens Stratton up to become totally unlimited to match Vail's acquisition of Okemo.
Ikon Base.jpgEpic local.jpg

machski

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was making an Ikon Base vs. Epic Local comparison. On Ikon Base Stratton is limited to 5 days w/blackouts. On Epic Local Okemo is unlimited, no blackouts. I think, there is a good chance Alterra opens Stratton up to become totally unlimited to match Vail's acquisition of Okemo.
View attachment 23917View attachment 23918
Yeah, when I posted I tried to look at Epic details but website was down. Must be all those Okemo and Sunapee skiers loading down the site buying their cheap Epic Local passes. That is nuts they are totally unlimited on local, and Stowe is as well now too. Going to put even more pressure on pass pricing moving forward. I agree Alterra will need to open Stratton to unlimited on Icon Base, then they have that and Tremblant in East.

Boyne will need to counter, would be nice of Gold NE Pass gave you unlimited access to their Western properties instead of just the 50% off now.

benski

I selfishly would love a South American offering too as I would love to get down there in the next few years. The false prospect of it being "free" with my pass is all the more motivation to go.
You could ski Perisher Blue in Australia, I here its almost as exciting as Okemo.

BenedictGomez

Believe of not, they did not do anything substantial to the lease when they transferred it from Stowe to Vail (still pending final resolution approval).

Good to know. I guess that means someone with some financial acumen talked some sense into the moron radical politicians running Vermont and informed them just how destructive that would be to future prospect of business in Vermont. My jaw dropped when I read that initial "plan".

I think the EU blocked but its only a matter of time before Allegiant does that.

Did they? I was on a RyanAir flight circa 2007 that definitely didn't have a bathroom, much to my girlfriend's horror! I vividly remember her RUNNING to customs and doing a pee-pee dance in Cork. Then running like Usain Bolt out of my field of vision post the passport stamping. I'll never forget that.

machski

I would restrooms would be mandated by the law (international or EU)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
Nope, not specified by law for air transport. You can get on an airliner, especially smaller ones that only have one, that have had the lav put on maintenance deferment (meaning it's out of order). With the newer vacuum toilets (vs the old blue swirl), their is a central system for many types (737 would have one central for all toilets) that if that acts up, all would be deferred. Now, most airlines would only still use that aircraft for very short runs, but it does happen occasionally.

jimk

Eastern multi-pass resorts:
Epic: Stowe, Okemo, Sunapee

MCP: Sugarbush

IKON: Killington, Sunday River, Sugarloaf, Mont Tremblant, Stratton, Snowshoe, Loon

What am I overlooking for the East?

boston_e

Eastern multi-pass resorts:
Epic: Stowe, Okemo, Sunapee

MCP: Sugarbush

IKON: Killington, Sunday River, Sugarloaf, Mont Tremblant, Stratton, Snowshoe, Loon

What am I overlooking for the East?

sugarbush is also on Ikon

peaks pass gets you mt Snow, Attitash, Wildcat and Crotchet

Killington pass gets you both Killington and Pico (so kinda/sorta a multi resort pass)

BenedictGomez

No, they still have bathrooms. They did ask Boeing to remove them but Boeing said absolutely not.

Well, the RyanAir flight from London to Cork I was on circa 2007 definitely did not have a bathroom.

Under the circumstances, this is not something one forgets.

boston_e

sugarbush is also on Ikon

peaks pass gets you mt Snow, Attitash, Wildcat and Crotchet

Killington pass gets you both Killington and Pico (so kinda/sorta a multi resort pass)

also the Sunday river / Sugarloaf / loon passes are all one pass.